New book: Cracked Ice: Figure Skating's Inner World | Golden Skate

New book: Cracked Ice: Figure Skating's Inner World

Sylvia

Record Breaker
"Cracked Ice: Figure Skating's Inner World, due for release in mid-November, is the first book written by someone from the secretive inner circles of Olympic-level figure skating officials and rule makers. [Italy's Sonia] Bianchetti, who was a judge or referee at seven consecutive Olympic Games, was the first woman to serve on the powerful ISU Council. In Cracked Ice, she describes an organization in which officials are punished for speaking out or even proposing a vote, minutes of meetings are changed after the fact, Council members learn of decisions for the first time from journalists seeking quotes, and corrupt judges are given slaps on the wrist and routinely reassigned to panels. "
Link to the entire press release: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/Cracked Ice.htm

Link to the author's and book's web site where advance orders are being taken: http://www.soniabianchetti.com

I can't wait to read it! There is a long interview with Sonia Bianchetti in the last issue of Spotlight on Skating magazine. The lady does not pull any punches. I think this will turn out to be a must read.

If you order it quick you can get a 20% discount PLUS a copy autographed by the author.

OT -- If you hate and despise the CoP, if you hold it in abomination and contempt -- if, I say, the CoP is soul-curdling anathema to you and an object of abhorrence and contempt -- and if you want some statistical analysis to back up your view -- click on "return to title page" at the bottom of Sylvia's first link and check out any of the papers on statistics by mathematician/ statistician/ astronomer/ aerospace engineer/ skating buff Dr. George Rosano.

These articles are great. They are accurate, very well-written (you don't have to be a statistician to read them), and quite convincingly argued. 100 rabbit chops to the neck of Mr. Cinquanta and the ISU!

Mathman

PS. Sylvia, if you have no objection, I think I will copy this thread into the Edge. I think the topic is timely and might provoke a discussion beyond just an announcement of publication.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
IT IS ABOUT TIME. This sounds like the book I've been waiting for for years. However, given some of the stunts allegedly pulled by Ms. Bianchetti herself (chronicled in Scott Hamilton's autobiography as well as in Beverley Smith's "Inside Figure Skating"), I must wonder about her overall credibility in this department. I will, however, reserve full judgement until I actually read the thing.