New experiences ahead for Kolyada | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New experiences ahead for Kolyada

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
from Kolyada’s interviews, he seems quite self-aware and very thoughtful. And he clearly wants to continue to work and improve.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Kolyada's thread without you would be just boring place.

He has great skating skills, very good jumping technique (except flip which has deeper outside edge than majority of ladies' lutzes) and nice spins for a man. Does he have consistency? No. Does he bomb? Yes. But so do many other man. Probably excellent sport psychologist would be a great help.

And don't worry about his programs. Better pray for Dmitri not getting AIDS themed program because it's something Averbukh hasn't done yet.

It is always easy to single out imperfections in just one skater/person for personal use and to single out Mikhail's inconsistency, being prone to bomb his tech content while last season showed us a rainbow and variety of inconsistency/bombing in men's field is well...what it is.

Mikhail evidently has goods to work on AND to work with - one thing is his determination to get better, self-awareness, but another one is how his team/environment he's in will try to help in development, then how he will be packaged. There is nothing to worry or to pick up at this point as we do not know his programs, how this training with Rafael will go, if he will introduce something new into his repertoire etc. And about this 'underrated' argument regarding Kolyada mentioned and then argued - that's the thing for me: constant talk about his bombing or inconsistency really can make his skills/abilities/jumping technique underrated in some people's eyes.

The line about Averbukh tho...the shade:laugh:

Tutto

Record Breaker
It is always easy to single out imperfections in just one skater/person for personal use and to single out Mikhail's inconsistency, being prone to bomb his tech content while last season showed us a rainbow and variety of inconsistency/bombing in men's field is well...what it is.

Mikhail evidently has goods to work on AND to work with - one thing is his determination to get better, self-awareness, but another one is how his team/environment he's in will try to help in development, then how he will be packaged. There is nothing to worry or to pick up at this point as we do not know his programs, how this training with Rafael will go, if he will introduce something new into his repertoire etc. And about this 'underrated' argument regarding Kolyada mentioned and then argued - that's the thing for me: constant talk about his bombing or inconsistency really can make his skills/abilities/jumping technique underrated in some people's eyes.

I'd also say that his inconsistency/bombing is a a bit exaggerated - yes he makes 3-4 mistakes in the LP consistently one might say but rarely bombs completely, last season it was LP at Finlandia Trophy and SP at Oly Team Event really. He brought home medals from 8 out of 10 competitions of the season, you don't achieve that for nothing. And even when jumps fail him he has SS & spins to back him up so he doesn't finish out of top 8

shine

Record Breaker
If there's someone who desperately need more push and maybe a foreign coach is Igor Efimchuk.

He's AMAZING, artistically i think the best male skater in Russia, unfortunately he struggles with stamina a lot.

Look at his works for Elena Radionova.

Radionova’s Frida was AMAZING and probabaly the best he has done. How did we go from that to most of the garbage he has done for Med???

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'd also say that his inconsistency/bombing is a a bit exaggerated - yes he makes 3-4 mistakes in the LP consistently one might say but rarely bombs completely, last season it was LP at Finlandia Trophy and SP at Oly Team Event really. He brought home medals from 8 out of 10 competitions of the season, you don't achieve that for nothing. And even when jumps fail him he has SS & spins to back him up so he doesn't finish out of top 8

Exactly - depends on point of view. And sympathies/antipathy of course. On what we pay attention and what we stress out towards particular skaters. Fall is always a bad thing (worse is only a fall with underrotation lol) and it directs our attention, but there are other things in the program - I always try to pay attention to the wholesome and last season really focused me on paying attention about carrying performance/quality throughout the program by skaters despite fall(s). It is surprisingly interesting perspective to explore - not that I want skaters to fall for the record, but when it happens, the 'doom and gloom' usually covers everything, including common sense for some.

I hope that Mikhail will be more and more confident by this bronze at Worlds - in my opinion he needs that more 'push' in how he sells things, more control over stuff with conviction over his worth. Selfishly, I hope he will come to Nepela and I will see his new programs live;)

Tutto

Record Breaker
Exactly - depends on point of view. And sympathies/antipathy of course. On what we pay attention and what we stress out towards particular skaters. Fall is always a bad thing (worse is only a fall with underrotation lol) and it directs our attention, but there are other things in the program - I always try to pay attention to the wholesome and last season really focused me on paying attention about carrying performance/quality throughout the program by skaters despite fall(s). It is surprisingly interesting perspective to explore - not that I want skaters to fall for the record, but when it happens, the 'doom and gloom' usually covers everything, including common sense for some.

I hope that Mikhail will be more and more confident by this bronze at Worlds - in my opinion he needs that more 'push' in how he sells things, more control over stuff with conviction over his worth. Selfishly, I hope he will come to Nepela and I will see his new programs live;)

From the interview he is planning to compete at Nepela where he will try and defend his title and I hope to hear your live account!
And I so agree Mika needs to believe in his abilities more, sometimes I feel he is too nice a person to do so :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t see it as something wonderful to spend two weeks in California with Rafael. If it were two months, there would be some use, perhaps.

alexaa

Final Flight
I don´t see it as something wonderful to spend two weeks in California with Rafael. If it were two months, there would be some use, perhaps.

Haha, just treat it as a long deserved vacation to California. Should be two weeks full of fun.

Tatjana

On the Ice

I'd say two weeks is better than zero weeks. ;-) As far as I can judge, Mikhail is very diligent and also smart. He probably will gather as much new knowledge as he can, listen to what Rafael tells him, take notes and figure out what works for him. He took a lot out of working with Stéphane Lambiel last year for about a week, so I'm optimistic.

Flyflybutterfly

Rinkside
I'd say two weeks is better than zero weeks. ;-) As far as I can judge, Mikhail is very diligent and also smart. He probably will gather as much new knowledge as he can, listen to what Rafael tells him, take notes and figure out what works for him. He took a lot out of working with Stéphane Lambiel last year for about a week, so I'm optimistic.

It's just the same that I think but pretty much better expressed. I have high hopes for him next season.
Nice interview, thanks a lot.

About Silverfoxes: Keep calm and love Misha. :party:

Some of us like Dima too and so many others, they are all amazing boys and skaters so come on!. You can be desagree with this or that but please avoid harsh coments.

Go Misha Go!

LRK

Record Breaker
Radionova’s Frida was AMAZING and probabaly the best he has done. How did we go from that to most of the garbage he has done for Med???

Just made me think of this quote (about Wilkie Collins):

“What brought good Wilkie’s genius nigh perdition?
Some demon whispered—‘Wilkie! Have a mission.’”

Tatjana

On the Ice
In this updated interview for the Russian Figure Skating Federation Mikhail talks about his experience working with Stéphane Lambiel, who choreographed his new short program. http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3755-mikhail-kolyada-opyt-ne-prikhodit-s-neba.html (in Russian)
He enjoyed working with Stéphane a lot and feels he learned a lot from him. Stéphane suggested the music, but Misha does not reveal it yet.
He also talks about graduating from university and about the upcoming training camp in Latvia.