New Kwan Article 1/27 | Golden Skate

New Kwan Article 1/27

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
A judge who asked that he not be named said the panel should score her routines according to the new judging system and added that if she doesn't get at least 63 for her short program or 125 in the long program, "she may not have the combined total to win the gold medal."

So are they saying that if her scores are not in gold medal range she stays home? Are Hughes II in Gold medal range?

U.S. Figure Skating is scheduled to announce its decision at a 3:30 p.m. news conference near Los Angeles International Airport

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Is that so they can get out of town before the Kwaniacs track them down?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-figs27jan27,1,5653231.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If that is truly the criteria, then they should have announced that in the first place when granting the bye. According to Robert Horen, the committee was looking for a MEDAL winner, not necessarily a GOLD medal winner.

Sasha didn't meet that criteria when she skated at TEB (60.96 and 114.16). Cohen's scores at Nationals were vastly overinflated.

Hughes scored 59 in the SP and 106 in the FS at Nationals, and those scores were extremely generous for a FS where she completely just 4 triples and had a very disruptive fall. She doesn't meet the criteria either. Furthermore, her ISU scores in the GP were 125 TOTAL, not just in the FS.

What if Kwan scored 61 and 115? That would have been good enough for bronze at 2005 Worlds.

All I can say is that the Hughes family must have some very powerful connections, if that is what is being expected of Kwan.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
ITA chuckm! I think Team Hughes REALLY want Hughes II to be at the Olympics! Maybe they are threatening the skating world with more specials from Sarah if Emily doesn't get to go:biggrin: !

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
If that is truly the criteria, then they should have announced that in the first place when granting the bye. According to Robert Horen, the committee was looking for a MEDAL winner, not necessarily a GOLD medal winner.

Sasha didn't meet that criteria when she skated at TEB (60.96 and 114.16). Cohen's scores at Nationals were vastly overinflated.

Hughes scored 59 in the SP and 106 in the FS at Nationals, and those scores were extremely generous for a FS where she completely just 4 triples and had a very disruptive fall. She doesn't meet the criteria either. Furthermore, her ISU scores in the GP were 125 TOTAL, not just in the FS.

What if Kwan scored 61 and 115? That would have been good enough for bronze at 2005 Worlds.

All I can say is that the Hughes family must have some very powerful connections, if that is what is being expected of Kwan.

The way I interpreted the original quote in this thread after reading the article, that quote is simply "a judge who doesn't want to be named" opinion. Here are the two paragraphs preceding that one, which IMO reflect what we've already heard in terms of what the actual panel will be evaluating.

Start quote:
The five judges, led by Bob Horen, chairman of U.S. Figure Skating's International committee, will evaluate her fitness and the competitive level of her programs. She will practice for the panel and then perform her short program; she will get a break before her long program. U.S. Figure Skating is scheduled to announce its decision at a 3:30 p.m. news conference near Los Angeles International Airport.

If the judges believe that she's not fit or that she can't improve her technique to a medal-contending level in the next three weeks, her request will be denied and the Olympic berth will go to Emily Hughes of Great Neck, N.Y., who finished third behind Sasha Cohen of Corona del Mar and Kimmie Meissner of Bel Air, Md., at the national championships. End quote.

OK - call me a party pooper. I sorta don't get where the speculation is coming from about the Hughes' money, or them using money to try to influence the outcome, etc. Have there been any quotes from the Hughes family that are "sour grapes?" OK - so call me a curious party pooper. ;)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hey, I guess I missed the part where the judge said he would deny her the bye if she didn't get enough to win the gold medal. Can someone please show me?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
DG you are just too well balanced,LOL:biggrin: . I was being snarky. The only thing that I know of that will stop it is for us to have our snarkiness rediredcted to a really good (or bad) rusty hanger type thread. I have to add that Navka and the drug test have way more potential for snarkiness than Hughes II.

In the meantime...heres to Kwan being:chorus: and not:rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RD
A judge who asked that he not be named said the panel should score her routines according to the new judging system and added that if she doesn't get at least 63 for her short program or 125 in the long program, "she may not have the combined total to win the gold medal."

It may not be what was meant. That's why I questioned the remark.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I saw the remark as you did, Piel. But I think he's simply saying that that's the score she would NEED to be in real contention for the gold medal. I don't think that if she did a routine that would score a 60/120 that that would be enough reason to vote her down and send Emily who might score more like 50/95 or something like that.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
DG you are just too well balanced,LOL:biggrin: . I was being snarky. The only thing that I know of that will stop it is for us to have our snarkiness rediredcted to a really good (or bad) rusty hanger type thread. I have to add that Navka and the drug test have way more potential for snarkiness than Hughes II.

In the meantime...heres to Kwan being:chorus: and not:rofl:

OK - I forgot where I put my humor, but I found it again while I was looking for my glasses. ;)

OH - and on Rusty Hanger - I'm still having that mental block problem about costumes - haven't yet recovered from Yankee Polka.

DG