New skater here with questions! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New skater here with questions!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, according to Jackson's fitting FAQ, a men's medium width is the same as my width in a women's, so I wouldn't even need to get custom skates... I'll definitely try that out first before getting custom skates. But either way I'm saving up!

Thank you for the information! :)

Well, to take this a step further: I recently visited the Harlick factory to get fitted for custom boots.

I'm a purist and just went with boring white boots and natural heels. But I could have gone crazy with all the amazing offerings they now have! Boots that have animal print, boots that take a cue from bowling shoes (soooo cute), suede in a rainbow of colors, and of course custom design insertions near the ankle (a lot skaters now have these).

Definitely $$$$ but worth it if you want unique boots. If I could afford a second pair I'd probably go with purple suede and a gold lame Star Trek insignia at the ankles!

StarryEyed

Rinkside
Well, to take this a step further: I recently visited the Harlick factory to get fitted for custom boots.

I'm a purist and just went with boring white boots and natural heels. But I could have gone crazy with all the amazing offerings they now have! Boots that have animal print, boots that take a cue from bowling shoes (soooo cute), suede in a rainbow of colors, and of course custom design insertions near the ankle (a lot skaters now have these).

Definitely $$$$ but worth it if you want unique boots. If I could afford a second pair I'd probably go with purple suede and a gold lame Star Trek insignia at the ankles!

Hey the star trek insignia is totally cool in my book. :) Sometimes my parents got sick of kiddie shows and decided that TNG was a kid friendly enough replacement.

And I had no idea there were so many options for custom boots... Holy moly. For now my white boots are just what I need, even if the color makes me a little uneasy, but if I ever get good enough to warrant a custom pair I can't wait to take a look at all the options.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
So an update for everybody:

I managed to scrounge up enough money to buy a pair of skates, and I went to Westside Skate and Stick. I'm not sure if I regret it yet. The fitter rushed me into a pair of Jacksons, sadly in white (he insisted that there was no way a pair of men's skates would fit me, and I don't have enough experience to argue with him) and they were heat molded, etc. It feels like they're a good fit, supportive around the ankle. I had to have the front near the toe punched out on the right one, but other than that they're pretty good. My arches hurt from breaking them in, but I asked around on the rink and the skate guard told me that was normal.

I also went to the event at Brookfield place. I had a good time, but it was extremely overpriced and over hyped. The figure skaters left about 30 minutes after people got on the ice, and the rink was hilariously small. I don't blame the figure skaters though, seeing as they had to perform right before going on the ice with a bunch of inexperienced skaters...

So, new question: does anyone know a good way to make white skates black? I know I should probably just stick to white skates, but I'm irrationally fond of black figure skates.

The fitter may well have been right. Men's and women's skates are built on different "lasts", or foot shapes, and mens' feet tend to be a different shape than women's.

Black boot covers.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Well, according to Jackson's fitting FAQ, a men's medium width is the same as my width in a women's, so I wouldn't even need to get custom skates... I'll definitely try that out first before getting custom skates. But either way I'm saving up!

Thank you for the information! :)

Normally, the men's shoe would be wider in the toe box and in the heel, and also possibly a slightly different shape. Double check that the heel is the same size/width/shape for a men's skate v. a women's.

Do you have a car? I can't remember if I asked you this before! But if you do, then next time you need skates, make an appointment with Jim Skibbin at the pro shop in Hackensack. You have to do that via email. Tell him, in advance, that you'd STRONGLY prefer black boots. He's a very good skate pro, and he can evaluate your foot and tell you which models/brands he'd recommend, and if a men's model might work for you, or be too loose at the heel, for example.

There's a woman at my rink who covers her skates with black boot covers. I think they look great, so if you're interested, go for it. Hers are quite like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Lycra-Skate-Boot-Covers/dp/B00DQBNY6M

I'm partial to these, myself, for the winter. They are neoprene, so fit very snugly and add warmth. They come in black:
http://jenskates.com/icelightsinsulatedbootcovers.aspx

And NY has a ton of shoe repair/cobbler shops. Find out which ones are good near where you live. Bring them the skates, and ask if, as another poster said, they can be dyed black. Of course, any scratches will show, but who cares.