NO stock of Coronation Ace until probably September. Should the skater buy the LIGHT version? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NO stock of Coronation Ace until probably September. Should the skater buy the LIGHT version?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Edea rotation blades are terrible in my experience, but I have coached beginners who have been able to skate really fast on them as well (not even scratching). They struggled with spins (that improved after adjusting to CA).
I wouldn't recommend peopleusing Edea Rotation, but with very refined technique you can get them to work (I still wouldn't put a skater in them, even at a beginner level Coronation Ace for me is the much better choice).
I have actually tried Edea Rotation, on a pair of borrowed Overtures. The owner borrowed my boots with MK Phantoms and, whilst she said that they were scarily fast, she managed to skate round the rink very nicely. I, however, took literally two steps on the ice on the Rotations and got off again. Those things are the nastiest blades on the planet. I'm sure some people can make them work but many more beginners struggle without knowing why. I would put a beginner in Coronation Ace rather than Edea Rotation, although I'd rather they started with something else between the two.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Edea rotation blades are terrible in my experience, but I have coached beginners who have been able to skate really fast on them as well (not even scratching). They struggled with spins (that improved after adjusting to CA).
I wouldn't recommend peopleusing Edea Rotation, but with very refined technique you can get them to work (I still wouldn't put a skater in them, even at a beginner level Coronation Ace for me is the much better choice).

I have actually tried Edea Rotation, on a pair of borrowed Overtures. The owner borrowed my boots with MK Phantoms and, whilst she said that they were scarily fast, she managed to skate round the rink very nicely. I, however, took literally two steps on the ice on the Rotations and got off again. Those things are the nastiest blades on the planet. I'm sure some people can make them work but many more beginners struggle without knowing why. I would put a beginner in Coronation Ace rather than Edea Rotation, although I'd rather they started with something else between the two.

A bit off topic. But I'm curious as to why the Rotation is "slow" (or otherwise terrible or nasty). Three possibilities that come to mind: (1) The heel lift is so low that the drag pick literally drags during normal glides; (2) The radius of the main rocker is small (say 6' or less); (3) The ROH is small (say 1/4" or less), but this could be corrected by the sharpener. Do you know what is the cause?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
A bit off topic. But I'm curious as to why the Rotation is "slow" (or otherwise terrible or nasty). Three possibilities that come to mind: (1) The heel lift is so low that the drag pick literally drags during normal glides; (2) The radius of the main rocker is small (say 6' or less); (3) The ROH is small (say 1/4" or less), but this could be corrected by the sharpener. Do you know what is the cause?
Not a clue. I assumed it was the quality of the steel but I should know better than to assume as it makes an ass of u and me... Anyway, they felt sticky and I moved like a slug on Valium. No rust, because I checked. Those things are naaaaaaaaaaasty.

Jane17

Rinkside
Hello!

Long story short, there's a lady at my rink who started skating a few months ago. We're not under the same coach or even the same Sunday group practice, but she comes often to practice and we talk often.
Currently she has the Edea Rotation blades, she's progressing and her coach wants her trying more speed, but she's so slow, then the coach apparently (I'm not in her lesson, so this is hearsay) examined the blades and told her she can't get more speed on these blades because they're very, very slow, and told her to go to Ice Space (the skate shop/fitter we use) and get some Coronation Aces. However it seems our Ice SPace shop is completely out of stock for Coronation Ace blades at the moment, only left a few kid sizes and longer sizes, while the sizes with more demand are all gone and they say so many skaters have ordered them but they don't except anything before September, HOWEVER, they do have ONE Coronation Ace LIGHT blade pair on her particular size.

I know all of this because today when we were getting ready to leave she came to me and asked if I knew of other shop besides Ice Space that she can go (not locally, bad luck, the only one shop besides the one everyone goes... is another branch of Ice Space more far away). She mentioned the fact they have one pair left of the lights in her size, and I told her, don't ask me, ask Kyoko sensei what she says, and apparently it's OK to get the lights instead of waiting so long, long time. Another choice is getting the pricier and more high level Gold Seal or Pattern 99, which they also have, in both regular and revolution versions. They're only out of regular Coronation Ace blades.

I told my buddy I'd ask at an online forum I belong to, full of very knowledgeable, experienced skaters.

Given this scenario, what would YOU do?
-Wait a long long LONG time until the blades come but waste time not progressing as you could because you have turtle blades that not move?
-Hurry up and buy that last pair of Coronation Ace Light blades before someone else buys them
-Open the wallet and buy the pricier, more high level blades but no light that are available (skater is talented, but I'm no coach, not sure if it's a good idea)
I am waiting for the regular one. I don’t want worse blades just because they are in stock.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Personally I don't usually recommend the lighter blade simply because it's unnecessary and not that much of a difference. But if it's all you can get then go ahead and get them. They aren't a bad blade at all. Don't get the higher level blade.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
The skater in question in my original post ended up buying the Coronation Ace lite blades as her coach directed, since our skate shop/fitter doesn't have the regular standard Coronation Ace blades in stock right now and they will only arrive late during Autumn.
It seems that the only difference besides the weight of the blade, is that the lite version is only a little bit more expensive than the regular one (at least here in Japan is really only a little bit, not even 100 American dollars, if converting from Japanese yen, so quite irrelevant difference. No idea how they are priced in other countries).
The coach didn't want her skating in Edea Rotation blades any longer and required the change ASAP. Apparently she was quite upset at the skate shop for putting such blades in her skater's skates since unless otherwise requested, the standard is Coronation Ace in whatever variation available. It's an older age than any of us adult skaters in the rink skater and maybe they thought she'd appreciate being slow is the only explanation. Also, it seems these Edea Rotation blades, besides being so slow, are also very cheap, but the skaters says she didn't ask for them, or asked for cheap anything. So no idea what the issue was, but thankfully is resolved! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The skater in question in my original post ended up buying the Coronation Ace lite blades as her coach directed, since our skate shop/fitter doesn't have the regular standard Coronation Ace blades in stock right now and they will only arrive late during Autumn.
It seems that the only difference besides the weight of the blade, is that the lite version is only a little bit more expensive than the regular one (at least here in Japan is really only a little bit, not even 100 American dollars, if converting from Japanese yen, so quite irrelevant difference. No idea how they are priced in other countries).
The coach didn't want her skating in Edea Rotation blades any longer and required the change ASAP. Apparently she was quite upset at the skate shop for putting such blades in her skater's skates since unless otherwise requested, the standard is Coronation Ace in whatever variation available. It's an older age than any of us adult skaters in the rink skater and maybe they thought she'd appreciate being slow is the only explanation. Also, it seems these Edea Rotation blades, besides being so slow, are also very cheap, but the skaters says she didn't ask for them, or asked for cheap anything. So no idea what the issue was, but thankfully is resolved! :)
There are many other differences and effects skaters, esp inexperienced ones deal with regarding CA revs, but we'll leave that for another day.