Numb big toes, have I been misfit? | Golden Skate

Numb big toes, have I been misfit?

Lucie

Rinkside
Hi all, sorry for yet another fitting related thread, but I’ve had no luck getting hold of my fitter and I need some advice.
5 weeks ago I was fitted at Everglides, previously I was wearing some hand me down recreational skates by riedell that were too long and too narrow.
I’m doing Skate UK learn to skate, skating now about 3h a week. I was fitted in Edea Overture, initially she put a size 265C on me which felt good other than it didn’t cup my heel as well as the 265 Risport Electra we also tried, so she brought out the overture in a 260C. I mentioned at the time that the toes felt a bit tight and I could feel the end of the boot but she said that was normal and it would be ease with heat moulding and breaking in. Fast forward to now and I’m having persistent problems with my big toes going numb, the rest of my toes and feet are fine, it’s just the big toes the right more than the left. They felt a bit narrow across the ball of the foot and pressed slightly on the sides of my big toes. I have used a boot stretcher and a hairdryer on the bunion area and just above and now they feel more comfortable but my big toes still go numb. Initially I thought it was my feet getting cold as there is no room in my boot for anything thicker than tights and the Sidas insole she put in which has a forefoot thickness of less than 1mm, but on Sunday I did a 30min class and big toes went numb at 20min and when I took my boots off they felt warm - I did lace rather tightly though, I’ve not had the numbness happen so soon before so that could be why. They still go numb even if I lace too loose, it just gives me over an hour before it happens and obviously I’m not happy with lacing too loosely.
I don’t think the toe box can be stretched any further without lowering it to the point it hits the top of my toes.
Do you think they are a half size too small or are they the wrong shape for my feet? If it helps I have a toe configuration somewhere between Greek and Roman, my toes appear tapered as they are long and slim and squishable but they prefer to spread into a squarish shape when my foot is flat on the ground. The fitter measured my foot length and width and said I was a medium/C width and that my feet were very symmetrical, she didn’t do ball circumference or tracings. I have had a friend help me do my own tracings and on those my foot length is 9 7/8”, ball circumference 9 1/8”.
Skating is going well in them, I have good control of the boot and I’m making faster progress, I really like them except for the big toe issue.
I will keep trying to contact Everglides but in the meantime what are your opinions? Do I need a 265c overture and some aggressive punching out or do I need a different boot?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all, sorry for yet another fitting related thread, but I’ve had no luck getting hold of my fitter and I need some advice.
5 weeks ago I was fitted at Everglides, previously I was wearing some hand me down recreational skates by riedell that were too long and too narrow.
I’m doing Skate UK learn to skate, skating now about 3h a week. I was fitted in Edea Overture, initially she put a size 265C on me which felt good other than it didn’t cup my heel as well as the 265 Risport Electra we also tried, so she brought out the overture in a 260C. I mentioned at the time that the toes felt a bit tight and I could feel the end of the boot but she said that was normal and it would be ease with heat moulding and breaking in. Fast forward to now and I’m having persistent problems with my big toes going numb, the rest of my toes and feet are fine, it’s just the big toes the right more than the left. They felt a bit narrow across the ball of the foot and pressed slightly on the sides of my big toes. I have used a boot stretcher and a hairdryer on the bunion area and just above and now they feel more comfortable but my big toes still go numb. Initially I thought it was my feet getting cold as there is no room in my boot for anything thicker than tights and the Sidas insole she put in which has a forefoot thickness of less than 1mm, but on Sunday I did a 30min class and big toes went numb at 20min and when I took my boots off they felt warm - I did lace rather tightly though, I’ve not had the numbness happen so soon before so that could be why. They still go numb even if I lace too loose, it just gives me over an hour before it happens and obviously I’m not happy with lacing too loosely.
I don’t think the toe box can be stretched any further without lowering it to the point it hits the top of my toes.
Do you think they are a half size too small or are they the wrong shape for my feet? If it helps I have a toe configuration somewhere between Greek and Roman, my toes appear tapered as they are long and slim and squishable but they prefer to spread into a squarish shape when my foot is flat on the ground. The fitter measured my foot length and width and said I was a medium/C width and that my feet were very symmetrical, she didn’t do ball circumference or tracings. I have had a friend help me do my own tracings and on those my foot length is 9 7/8”, ball circumference 9 1/8”.
Skating is going well in them, I have good control of the boot and I’m making faster progress, I really like them except for the big toe issue.
I will keep trying to contact Everglides but in the meantime what are your opinions? Do I need a 265c overture and some aggressive punching out or do I need a different boot?
hi and welcome! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues. They should have traced you. Honestly, if you didn't fit a Riedell (if they were too narrow), I wouldn't be putting you anywhere close to an Edea. Sounds like you're more of a Jackson, Risport, or possibly Graf person.

If you need any help I'm here.

Good luck!

sampaguita

Rinkside
I'm really sorry to hear this. If the lacing doesn't do anything, it must have been a fit issue. Did the fitter use a measuring tool to get the length of your foot? You mention that the only problem with the 265 is that they don't fit the heel right -- if the length was correct, you shouldn't have been sized down to a 260, but given either a custom (different heel/toe box width ratio) or another model/brand altogether. A change in length doesn't fix the width problem in skates. Any chance you can have the boot exchanged?

Lucie

Rinkside
hi and welcome! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues. They should have traced you. Honestly, if you didn't fit a Riedell (if they were too narrow), I wouldn't be putting you anywhere close to an Edea. Sounds like you're more of a Jackson, Risport, or possibly Graf person.

If you need any help I'm here.

Good luck!
Hi thanks so much for taking the time to reply! The riedells were narrow in that I had trouble pushing my foot into the boot, once in they were very snug on the sides but not uncomfortable. Yes, I’m surprised she didn’t trace me as they have a good reputation for fitting. The Risport Electra was a good fit, the only thing I didn’t like was how narrow the tongue was, the sides dug painfully into my shin but I now realise that that would have sorted out with heat moulding and wear, the fitter also thought they might be too stiff for me. She also tried me in Jackson Elle 8.5W which just felt too large all the way around but I wonder if a 8R would be a better fit?

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside
I'm really sorry to hear this. If the lacing doesn't do anything, it must have been a fit issue. Did the fitter use a measuring tool to get the length of your foot? You mention that the only problem with the 265 is that they don't fit the heel right -- if the length was correct, you shouldn't have been sized down to a 260, but given either a custom (different heel/toe box width ratio) or another model/brand altogether. A change in length doesn't fix the width problem in skates. Any chance you can have the boot exchanged?
Thanks for your reply! That’s interesting that she shouldn’t have sized me down for the heel fit. Yes, she used 2 different fitting tools, one for length and one for width and also had me stand on a plate that showed the weight distribution through my feet.
Unfortunately when she mounted the blade she made me sign a form which I think means I can’t refund or exchange, and Everglides won’t do part exchanges as they don’t sell second hand boots, I heard them telling someone else that while I was there. The strange thing is I had the 260 on my feet for well over 30min in the shop and they were comfortable other than toes touching the end and no big toe numbness?!

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside
Are you lacing your boots in the Edea-specific recommended manner?
Hi, yes, loose at the toes then getting gradually tighter to the ankle, tightest at the curve between foot and ankle then gradually looser towards the top. If I lace tightly all the way up or just very tightly at the ankle the numbness starts sooner but I haven’t yet found a way of lacing that prevents it happening entirely. I do think it’s more to do with how tight the toebox is on the inside where my big toes are, it’s an effort to wiggle my big toes, the rest have good wiggle room, no pain though

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Hi, yes, loose at the toes then getting gradually tighter to the ankle, tightest at the curve between foot and ankle then gradually looser towards the top. If I lace tightly all the way up or just very tightly at the ankle the numbness starts sooner but I haven’t yet found a way of lacing that prevents it happening entirely. I do think it’s more to do with how tight the toebox is on the inside where my big toes are, it’s an effort to wiggle my big toes, the rest have good wiggle room, no pain though
No, I meant are you lacing by drawing the lace end through each hole from the top, and not from underneath?

Lucie

Rinkside
No, I meant are you lacing by drawing the lace end through each hole from the top, and not from underneath?

Yes, this is how they came laced and that’s how I’ve kept them even through I changed out the laces for longer ones as the ones they came with I could barely make a bow. Except I haven’t been lacing at the hooks like that so I’ll try doing that

Last edited:

sampaguita

Rinkside
Hi thanks so much for taking the time to reply! The riedells were narrow in that I had trouble pushing my foot into the boot, once in they were very snug on the sides but not uncomfortable. Yes, I’m surprised she didn’t trace me as they have a good reputation for fitting. The Risport Electra was a good fit, the only thing I didn’t like was how narrow the tongue was, the sides dug painfully into my shin but I now realise that that would have sorted out with heat moulding and wear, the fitter also thought they might be too stiff for me. She also tried me in Jackson Elle 8.5W which just felt too large all the way around but I wonder if a 8R would be a better fit?
Is there any other fitter in your area? An 8R may work but I'd suggest trying it on before buying.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The strange thing is I had the 260 on my feet for well over 30min in the shop and they were comfortable other than toes touching the end and no big toe numbness?!
Well, at the shop you were either sitting, or at the most, walking around slowly for short periods. But under heavy exercise, as in skating, your feet do swell to some degree. Either way, numbness is a signal from your body that something is amiss.

Lucie

Rinkside
Is there any other fitter in your area? An 8R may work but I'd suggest trying it on before buying.
There’s one in London, I will have to try them, I would have gone there first as they are closer but Everglides was the most recommended fitter for the south of England so I did the 2hour drive to them, very disappointing if they have misfit me

Lucie

Rinkside
Well, at the shop you were either sitting, or at the most, walking around slowly for short periods. But under heavy exercise, as in skating, your feet do swell to some degree. Either way, numbness is a signal from your body that something is amiss.
Yes of course, that makes sense. And yes I’m very concerned about the numbness, I’m a ballet dancer so I don’t want to risk damage to my feet from something so preventable. Unfortunately I still can’t get hold of Everglides, they aren’t answering their phone (not unusual) and haven’t responded to the email I sent a week ago or the follow up I sent yesterday. They’re always difficult to get hold of, and this issue has made me think that that’s not a desirable quality if I’m having a problem and live 2 hours away, I might be best trying another fitter but I really do want to hear back from them about this as they fitted me in these boots and should want to help somehow

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Everglides are crazily busy right now. Try messaging them via Facebook/Messenger and you should get a reply. It always works for me.

Before you try to find another fitter, please give them chance to sort the problem out as I'm sure they will be keen to help. You may well just need a bit of punching out at the big toe. They really are very good at fitting and I'll be surprised if they've fitted you wrongly, although it's a difficult job as they have to rely on the feedback from the person being fitted and if that person doesn't have much experience with how skates should actually feel... It's not uncommon for boots to need a bit of a tweak after being worn for a while. It's quite uncommon for them to actually be the wrong boots when they've been fitted by Everglides.

I'm not associated with Everglides in any way, shape or form, other than having seen them at work many times with my skaters (to great success, even with the really hard to fit!) and trusting them with my own fitting issues and poor, sore feet.

A final thought... Are you gripping with your toes when you skate? Unconsciously? That can cause a lot of problems.

Lucie

Rinkside
Everglides are crazily busy right now. Try messaging them via Facebook/Messenger and you should get a reply. It always works for me.

Before you try to find another fitter, please give them chance to sort the problem out as I'm sure they will be keen to help. You may well just need a bit of punching out at the big toe. They really are very good at fitting and I'll be surprised if they've fitted you wrongly, although it's a difficult job as they have to rely on the feedback from the person being fitted and if that person doesn't have much experience with how skates should actually feel... It's not uncommon for boots to need a bit of a tweak after being worn for a while. It's quite uncommon for them to actually be the wrong boots when they've been fitted by Everglides.

I'm not associated with Everglides in any way, shape or form, other than having seen them at work many times with my skaters (to great success, even with the really hard to fit!) and trusting them with my own fitting issues and poor, sore feet.

A final thought... Are you gripping with your toes when you skate? Unconsciously? That can cause a lot of problems.
I know they’re always busy, it’s why they’re always difficult to get hold of, it still makes things difficult for those of us who can’t easily pop in to ask a question. And yes that’s why I’ve waited before seeing another fitter, I thought they would want to help me sort it out. I had a reply from them this afternoon actually after emailing again - I think my emails had got lost in their busy inbox —they suggested tights instead of socks which I have to do anyway as I can’t fit even thin socks in these boots. When I told them this they said that other than re-heat moulding ‘there is nothing more we can suggest from our end’ which is a rather disappointing response. I replied to ask if this means I need different boots and they didn’t reply.

The boots aren’t a terrible fit by any means and I don’t get any pain in them, certainly a better fitting than I would have gotten from my local rink shop. I actually really like them other the the big toe numbness issue. But she didnt talk to me at all about my foot/toe shape and which brand might best suit, just measured and brought out 3 boxes and asked which was most comfortable. As a not very experienced skater who doesn’t know what a good fitting skate should feel like I feel I needed more guidance.

No I don’t grip with my toes, I don’t think I have room in the boot to bend my big toe enough to grip if I wanted to. If anything I think I might unconsciously do the opposite- raise my toes to try and keep my toe pick off the ice.

Last edited:

sampaguita

Rinkside
Maybe you can request for a different fitter at Everglides? If you can prove that you were fitted incorrectly, then maybe they will do something about it. If your foot length was really sized at 265 and not 260, you may have a good case there since that was negligence on their part. I'm really sorry you have to go through this, but I do think you have a case here.

Lucie

Rinkside
So Everglides finally got back to me, they are suggesting that I come back but this would be to see the fitter I saw before and just try on again the same boots I tried on before now that I, as they put it, have changed my mind about the feel of fit I would like. They seem to want to ignore the actual issue I am having.There was also a slightly snarky remark that when I went before ‘you did try on all 3 brands’, I’m not sure they realise how ridiculous that sounds, and it seems they want to avoid any responsibility they might have for the fitting. I know that they stock more than 3 brands anyway as they put Grafs on the other girl who was in the shop at the same time. I have also asked their opinion about the fact that my foot measures 25.3cm and the inside of the Edea 260 measures 24.8, they just say that according to their charts 260 is the correct size for me, ignoring the fact that they originally measured me as fitting a 265 and also ignoring the actual size of the boot being smaller than my foot!
It’s a real shame because I really expected to like them as fitters and to keep going back to them, but their responses have left me feeling let down

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside
I have contacted another fitter who has had me send her tracings and photos of my feet (as she is a long way from me). She is not keen on Edea for me, and thinks I should go for a Jackson wide fit and have it heat moulded but I’m not sure this could make a C/D split width boot narrow enough to fit a B/C foot could it? I’m assuming my feet are a C ball and B heel as Everglides said my width at the ball was a C and the Edeas which come stock as a B/C split are a snug fit at the heel and good at the ball now I have stretched them slightly across the ball/bunion area, but they were never narrow enough to cause discomfort except in the toebox. She also thinks that Risport would be better than Edea but might not be snug enough in the heel as they are not split width, but (as I have told her) the Risports were snugger in the heel than the Jackson W which she prefers for me over the Risports. I am very grateful that she is looking at my foot shape and talking to me about which brands last shape might suit me best, but this is leaving me a bit confused.

eclipse

Rinkside
So Everglides finally got back to me, they are suggesting that I come back but this would be to see the fitter I saw before and just try on again the same boots I tried on before now that I, as they put it, have changed my mind about the feel of fit I would like. They seem to want to ignore the actual issue I am having.There was also a slightly snarky remark that when I went before ‘you did try on all 3 brands’, I’m not sure they realise how ridiculous that sounds, and it seems they want to avoid any responsibility they might have for the fitting. I know that they stock more than 3 brands anyway as they put Grafs on the other girl who was in the shop at the same time. I have also asked their opinion about the fact that my foot measures 25.3cm and the inside of the Edea 260 measures 24.8, they just say that according to their charts 260 is the correct size for me, ignoring the fact that they originally measured me as fitting a 265 and also ignoring the actual size of the boot being smaller than my foot!
It’s a real shame because I really expected to like them as fitters and to keep going back to them, but their responses have left me feeling let down
Edea would have suggested that you went into 255 because their skates are measured for the foot length that intends on going into them. I know people that have been put into skates half a size too big so 5mm and they experience agony and a whole host of other issues but then go half a size down with the same brand and have no issues what so ever.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have contacted another fitter who has had me send her tracings and photos of my feet (as she is a long way from me). She is not keen on Edea for me, and thinks I should go for a Jackson wide fit and have it heat moulded but I’m not sure this could make a C/D split width boot narrow enough to fit a B/C foot could it? I’m assuming my feet are a C ball and B heel as Everglides said my width at the ball was a C and the Edeas which come stock as a B/C split are a snug fit at the heel and good at the ball now I have stretched them slightly across the ball/bunion area, but they were never narrow enough to cause discomfort except in the toebox. She also thinks that Risport would be better than Edea but might not be snug enough in the heel as they are not split width, but (as I have told her) the Risports were snugger in the heel than the Jackson W which she prefers for me over the Risports. I am very grateful that she is looking at my foot shape and talking to me about which brands last shape might suit me best, but this is leaving me a bit confused.
This is exactly what I told you from the start in this thread. ;) You would seem to fit a Jackson/Risport better.

Last edited: