Numbness in toes and possible solutions | Golden Skate

Numbness in toes and possible solutions

Natashajane

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi there.
Please excuse the ugly foot picture that I attached for reference. This is what my feet look like after 30 minutes on the ice. I am currently trying out a pair of Edea Ice Flies (E width) and ALL my toes are going numb. I already have a wide width shoe and have had the toe box punched out and stretched. There is room around the toes inside the toebox. I tie the laces in the Edea fashion, and have to tie them very tight over the instep to avoid heel slippage on the right foot especially (right foot is shorter), even to the point where it is hard to bend. I have tried to figure out what is causing this numbness because the toe box doesn't feel excessively tight, but looking at the picture of the foot, it does appear the circulation is being cut off somehow... I am asking anyone who has experienced this - what were your solutions to this issue? Thanks in advance.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Have you considered that your feet may just not be suited to Edea? Having to tie the boots that tightly to stop heel slippage is a good indicator that the boots just don't fit, and that will almost certainly be what's cutting off the circulation to your toes. I'd be getting fitted properly as soon as possible, because that is not healthy!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi there.
Please excuse the ugly foot picture that I attached for reference. This is what my feet look like after 30 minutes on the ice. I am currently trying out a pair of Edea Ice Flies (E width) and ALL my toes are going numb. I already have a wide width shoe and have had the toe box punched out and stretched. There is room around the toes inside the toebox. I tie the laces in the Edea fashion, and have to tie them very tight over the instep to avoid heel slippage on the right foot especially (right foot is shorter), even to the point where it is hard to bend. I have tried to figure out what is causing this numbness because the toe box doesn't feel excessively tight, but looking at the picture of the foot, it does appear the circulation is being cut off somehow... I am asking anyone who has experienced this - what were your solutions to this issue? Thanks in advance.

I agree with @WednesdayMarch, you are not an edea person. If your foot is that wide and came here telling us that, I would have never put you in one in the first place. And the way you are tying them, edea is designed so that area of the laces aren't to be tight at all. I would have had you looking at Jackson boots and a fitter that would properly measure/trace your foot and fit you correctly.

Since you attached your foot photo, I'd also have to ask..do you ever have issues with your toes feeling cold/numb in regular shoes or even your fingertips? I'm not a doctor but I am familiar with a condition called Raynaud's disease. And if that's the case then you might want to get that checked out.

If you let us know where you live, we can suggest a professional fitter in your area.
Good luck!

Natashajane

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Thank you both @WednesdayMarch and @Ic3Rabbit for the feedback. I didn't want to bog the post with a lot of unnecessary stuff, but I was in Jackson Freestyles previously and found they had too much room at "10, 11 and 1 and 2 o'clock" in the toe box and the toe box felt very bulky/excessive for my shape foot (Egyptian/triangular) even though my transverse arch is wide. My foot fits well into the triangular toe box of the Edeas. It does not feel excessively tight across the ball of the foot but it may well be that I needed an EE or EEE width instead. Its much more comfortable than my previous Jacksons. I actually took @Ic3Rabbit 's suggestion some time ago, and went to the fitter that was suggested and I am currently waiting for my custom boots which are Jackson Debuts. I am hoping that the bulky toe box wont be such an issue again. I was trying the Edeas ( bought 2nd hand but minimally used) in the meantime while waiting for the customs which will take 10 weeks. I can't use my previous Jacksons because they were a size too big apparently and I was rocking all over the place in them.

Bikerwally

Spectator
Country
Singapore
By the looks of the photo, I think you are developing hallux valgus.
I had the same issue on my left foot and it was solved after surgery.
Wearing shoes which are too tight with high heels for years commonly encourages hallux valgus to develop. If a large part of the body weight no longer rests on the heel and the longitudinal arch of the foot, but instead presses on the delicate forefoot, the front transverse arch of the foot loses stability: Splayfoot develops.
Figure skating boots push you already in a forward position because of the higher heel.
During skating, you can try to focus on putting your body weight frequently on the center of the blade.
This changing of position might also improve the blood circulation.
If it is hallux valgus, by getting older, the foot will become more wider, aggravating the problem.