Edea boot advice | Golden Skate

Edea boot advice

Sirin

Spectator
Ello. Currently I'm not even close to any skate fitting shop so came to ask here. My feet are 246mm and atm I have edea 250C. I wear edea socks. I don't really have any problems with the default sole (although my toes are touching the end of the skate with a tiny bit of pressure. But ig thats fine as edea has extra 5mm of material for an additional half size in 250). However the problems started after i had decided to go for an edea e-sole and started getting cramps and numbness in the thumb and arch even with proper lacing. So i was thinking if i should go up a size or travel to another city to get them stretched out near the ball of the foot cause maybe just maybe it's just a width issue... Halp
Heel width = 8cm
Ball (+toes) = 9.5cm
Length = 246cm

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Where are you located? We could suggest a fitter. You also may not have the proper foot for edea (which is what it sounds like with the pain and pressure) Not to mention your boots are probably too short.

What skating level are you? That makes a big difference with boots too.

Sirin

Spectator
Where are you located? We could suggest a fitter. You also may not have the proper foot for edea (which is what it sounds like with the pain and pressure) Not to mention your boots are probably too short.

What skating level are you? That makes a big difference with boots too.
I'm in Olomouc, Czechia
About the skating level, ig it's adult pre-silver according to skate US

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm in Olomouc, Czechia
About the skating level, ig it's adult pre-silver according to skate US
Are you jumping yet? If so what jumps?

Closest Pro fitter/figure skating shops to you is Brezina Sport in Brno/Kurim phone: +420603433780
next closest is ICEDREAM in Nachod, CZ phone: 00420 722 901 291

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Currently only waltz, salchow and toeloop
And those shops are still pretty far away :cry:
Brno is less than an hours drive from where you are and depending on the train you could take anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours. You are going to have to travel to get a proper, pro fitting. What is your height and weight? That is going to matter for boots.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the proper boots and blades fit for your foot. As well as for other factors that is specific to you and only you. Not just anyone can fit you for boots and blades correctly, many shops at rinks are not figure skating based and they don't have a clue what they are doing. By not having proper boots and blades you risk injury and other issues.

Sirin

Spectator
Brno is less than an hours drive from where you are and depending on the train you could take anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours. You are going to have to travel to get a proper, pro fitting. What is your height and weight? That is going to matter for boots.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to have the proper boots and blades fit for your foot. As well as for other factors that is specific to you and only you. Not just anyone can fit you for boots and blades correctly, many shops at rinks are not figure skating based and they don't have a clue what they are doing. By not having proper boots and blades you risk injury and other issues.
165cm and 53kg
I see i see
I've been fitted for edea before though
We' ll see if the new shop's fitter can suggest something different

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
165cm and 53kg
I see i see
I've been fitted for edea before though
We' ll see if the new shop's fitter can suggest something different
Are you going to one of the shops I suggested? I can suggest some boots to look at if you wish. I know you have been put in an edea before, but was it by a professional fitter who measured and traced your foot and said Edea is for you? It sounds like that's a no based on your first post where your toes are squashed improperly in the front of the boot.

Last edited:

Sirin

Spectator
Are you going to one of the shops I suggested? I can suggest some boots to look at if you wish. I know you have been put in an edea before, but was it by a professional fitter who measured and traced your foot and said Edea is for you? It sounds like that's a no based on your first post where your toes are squashed improperly in the front of the boot.
Yes please
Ye it was a professional fitter in prague
my toes arent squashed with a normal insole, just with the edea e-sole
I dont like too much of a gap in the skates, and my toes are just touching the end of the skate which i like a lot
It s just an insole problem as it takes too much room

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes please
I dont like too much of a gap in the skates, and my toes are just touching the end of the skate which i like a lot
So, if the boots were fine initially, and the problem only started after you changed the insole, why don't you just go back to the original insole...? This doesn't make sense.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes please
Your toes aren't supposed to touch, it's going to injure your toes/feet, but by all means.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
My feet are 245 mm and I wear Edea boots size 255 mm size.B width.
Edea has a guide about correct sizing, it comes with the VIEP little book that's inside the box, and also in their website.

I am not a professional fitter, but it sounds like 255 size would be best than 250. If your heel is snug in the back of the boot with the correct position locked with correct lacing, you shouldn't feel pressure on your toes in the front of the boot. Pressure, numbness, it might be a too small size, or too small width.

I'm almost fully recovered from a foot injury, got new boots (also Edea) at the professional fitter's shop after being correctly fitted, have skated with them for 4 days and they already felt super comfortable, no pressure points.

Is the tongue of your boots the one that is split in two parts, with sewing in the middle, or it is the one that is a whole piece near the hooks?
In my previous boots I had the one that has sewing in the middle and this caused me all kinds of problems, since everytime I would do a deep knee bend, this tongue would press my toes. The sports hospital orthopaedist even believes it could be the cause of my injury.

My new boots have the tongue that is the whole piece, I can do the deepest of knee bends and I feel zero pressure on my toes.

This is only my personal experience, I decided to reply because my foot size is similar to yours and I also wear Edeas, but the best if to consult a professional in person, not online, since he will be able to see your feet and measure/fit you properly with a size boor that is best for you.

spinningtop

Spectator
I am a 245mm, ball width 100mm in Edea boot size 250D, the boots were never uncomfortable in the toe area, I just had to "break-in" the heel area over 2 sessions of skating as I did not get them pre-molded at all. Once the foam conformed to my foot it was fine.

Also, I just spoke to someone over on Discord with tightness issue at the ankle, I suggested not using that last hole before the hooks when lacing and it worked for them. Its different to your toe issue of course, I do feel like if the new inserts are thicker, you may be better off getting another half size up in the future and switch to just using an arch gel insert under the original inserts for now? I do that for one of my feet, takes some adjusting to get it to a point where you don't feel it there though.

Not a pro or anything but quite sick of all the vitriol against Edea from people who plainly dislike the boot brand and don't even use them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For what it's worth, you aren't supposed to lace all the way up for the breaking in process in the first place.
As for opinions on Edea, they are good boots if they are for ones foot. I will suggest the proper boot brand based on what I know from testing and wearing just about every boot/blade.
OP--Have you found a resolution to your issue? Try without the inserts, if those don't work you really need to go to fitter.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Sirin

Spectator
Thank you for replies! Turns out i had the wrong size all together and the skate didnt have enough toe room. My foot is 240mm long, i got fitted in the wrong size. I got edea ice flys 245C 2023 version (they have more toe room in that one) and dont have any problems as of today.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Glad to hear that you finally have a boot that fits. :)
You were overbooted though fwiw.

Last edited:

Sirin

Spectator
Glad to hear that you finally have a boot that fits. :)
You were overbooted though fwiw.
Nah it's fine, i come from competitive slalom inline skating. My boot from there is entirely carbon and i can bend it. Ice flys are less stiff than those, could've went pianos XD

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nah it's fine, i come from competitive slalom inline skating. My boot from there is entirely carbon and i can bend it. Ice flys are less stiff than those, could've went pianos XD
Just saying, for your skills, etc you are in way too stiff boots, Pianos and Ice Fly are designed for triple triples and quads. Competitive inline skating isn't figure skating.