Pairs LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

Kawaguchi saved herself on many of the scratchy elements to beat out the problems Zhang and Zhang were having. The Final, if both teams skate their best......

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I was woindering if anyone caught the FS's of the two Canadian pairs? I've been following these teams for a while (both still juniors), and I'd love to know what people thought of their programs. I missed the live feed, so I haven';t seen them yet.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Horrible status of pairs skating, on par with ladies. I almost want S&Z, TT&MM to come back and show these top pairs how to consistently do a clean long program.

All the current top pairs are trying to jam pack their programs in the second half with technical content that's beyond their capacity. Doing stuff like three sets of triples such as 3+3+seq, 2a+3t, throw 4s and all those transitions to increase levels etc.

I'm wondering whether a clean S&Z, TT&MM can still beat flawed S&S?:rock:

oleada

Record Breaker
I was woindering if anyone caught the FS's of the two Canadian pairs? I've been following these teams for a while (both still juniors), and I'd love to know what people thought of their programs. I missed the live feed, so I haven';t seen them yet.

Well, I'd be surprised if Velenosi/Fernandez stay together. Their LP was a disaster, and in my opinion, she has definitely outgrown him.

Pisotta/Stewart - did a respectable enough job, but they weren't exciting and the tech isn't there. I think she's the stronger skater in the pair.

gold12345

Medalist
All the current top pairs are trying to jam pack their programs in the second half with technical content that's beyond their capacity. Doing stuff like three sets of triples such as 3+3+seq, 2a+3t, throw 4s and all those transitions to increase levels etc.

Yeah, this bothers me, too. I'd rather see plain triple toes done in great unison than some 3+3 sequence that is messy, rushed, and off timing.

I have loved many of Moskvina's pairs, but K/S do nothing for me. Their lifts, especially, bother me. I can't blame this all on Moskvina, though... Not every pair can turn into a Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze. But I'm glad K/S beat Z/Z in the long program here. Z/Z are so overrated.

Most of the current pairs, I just can't get into. I like S/S, but they often seem to do something ridiculous, like single a throw, and still win by a mile anyway. I'm pretty bummed that McLaughlin/Brubaker are going to just miss out on the GPF because I'm really starting to like them a lot, and I'd like to see how they stack up against all of these teams. I think they would hold their own.

Last edited:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I have loved many of Moskvina's pairs, but K/S do nothing for me. Their lifts, especially, bother me. I can't blame this all on Moskvina, though... Not every pair can turn into a Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze. But I'm glad K/S beat Z/Z in the long program here. Z/Z are so overrated.

Most of the current pairs, I just can't get into. I like S/S, but they often seem to do something ridiculous, like single a throw, and still win by a mile anyway. I'm pretty bummed that McLaughlin/Brubaker are going to just miss out on the GPF because I'm really starting to like them a lot, and I'd like to see how they stack up against all of these teams. I think they would hold their own.

K/S are more overrated than Z/Z. Z/Z at least got most of the elements other than jumps/steps done beautifully and their artistry do seem to improve a lot this year. K/S are a hot mess even when they execute their elements. They're very sloppy, jumps, throws, twist, spins, death spirals etc, you name it, none of their elements is cleanly done. I do believe it's fair that K/S beat Z/Z in LP since the latter missed a huge lift element, and K/S did land a quasi-clean throw4S.

Just like I said, S/S led the fashion of jam packing the programs with lots of stuff. When they finally got sbs jumps under control this season(they moved jumps very early in the programs), their throws have gone wild. It's partly the result of putting all these difficult elements in the second half to increase points.

McLaughlin/Brubaker are the product of CoP. They are also aggressively purusing this strategy of increasing points at every turn. Unfortunately, I think they'll become another pair that could rarely do any clean program.

When S/Z were competing against TT/MM, everybody got bored because it's abnomral for either team to miss a jump or throw. Well, nowadays, it's rare to see a team to not miss a jump or throw.

Last edited:
^^^^

RE: McLaughlin/Brubaker. I was hoping they would do well this season and with LeeAnns choreo I thought, maybe too highly, that they would have a podium finish, but they have no sense of flamenco feeling for the SP and they rush the music to the LP. I've now put it down as a lesson in learning. If they make the Finals, I will be looking to see if some of the lesson is learned, hopefully.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Just like I said, S/S led the fashion of jam packing the programs with lots of stuff. When they finally got sbs jumps under control this season(they moved jumps very early in the programs), their throws have gone wild. It's partly the result of putting all these difficult elements in the second half to increase points.

When S/Z were competing against TT/MM, everybody got bored because it's abnomral for either team to miss a jump or throw. Well, nowadays, it's rare to see a team to not miss a jump or throw.

Pairs skating got really bad for me the moment S/S started winning titles. I know loads of people find their skating beautiful, but when I compare it to S/Z and TT/MM, it really pales and comparism. They do not have their grace or their consistency. You're right about TT/MM. I can't remember the last time they missed a jump.

Sadly, it looks like M/T won't be making the GPF, unless NHK turns out to be a major splatfest for the pairs. V/M beat them in the tie-breaker.

gold12345

Medalist
One of Kawaguchi/Smirnov's lifts received GOE ranging from -3 to +2. What the hell?

On their slightly sloppy 3t- 2t sequence, half the judges gave them -2 or -1 GOE. The other half gave them +1!

On their mediocre twist, they received GOE ranging from -2 to +1.

On their throw 3L, GOE ranged from -2 to +1. (+1 for a two footed throw that she nearly touched down on?!)

On their side-by-side spins, -1 to +2.

The judges are clearly confused as to how to score this team on virtually every single element they do. It ticks me off that there is such a range in GOE on so many elements. As long as the result in the end makes sense, I guess it doesn't really matter, but still.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
.... You're right about TT/MM. I can't remember the last time they missed a jump....

Yes, TT/MM were incredibly competent. It was too easy to take them for granted. After the accident, when they came back and did an exquisite "Ave Maria" exhibition, their true beauty as a pair became manifest.

oleada

Record Breaker
Ave Maria was a short program, not an exhibition.
It was breathtaking, though.
I absolutely loved their Snowstorm SP too. As well as their "Phantom of the Opera" exhibition, which is fantastic!

One of Kawaguchi/Smirnov's lifts received GOE ranging from -3 to +2. What the hell?

The judges are clearly confused as to how to score this team on virtually every single element they do. It ticks me off that there is such a range in GOE on so many elements. As long as the result in the end makes sense, I guess it doesn't really matter, but still.
Wouldn't it be nice to know which judges scored the lowest and which, the highest Imo, there is reason for secret judging.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
As well as their "Phantom of the Opera" exhibition, which is fantastic!

Agreed. When I saw T/M perform Phantom live I just sat their with my mouth open during the entire performance. You could hear a pin drop in the audience, they skated beautifully.

fiercemao

Match Penalty

On their slightly sloppy 3t- 2t sequence, half the judges gave them -2 or -1 GOE. The other half gave them +1!

On their mediocre twist, they received GOE ranging from -2 to +1.

On their throw 3L, GOE ranged from -2 to +1. (+1 for a two footed throw that she nearly touched down on?!)

On their side-by-side spins, -1 to +2.

There's no way 3t+2t can get +1 in GOE since Smirnov did a 3t+3t seq and Kawaguchi did a 3t+2t seq which guarantees a negative goe.

Their twist should ALWAYS get a minus goe. Their technique is very unorthodox. Kawaguchi directly bangs her upper body against Smirnov's shoulder in order to keep her hands off his body to increase levels. It's so ugly and basically cheating.

Their lifts are generally difficult, but Kawaguchi's air positions are funky, and their exit is pretty sloppy.

I don't see any element deserves a +1 goe.