Pairs' SP - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts? | Golden Skate

Pairs' SP - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Pairs were rocking tonight!

Sui and Han were fantastic and topped their previous record score from the team event! Love the program! Kudos to Lori Nichol!

I'm absolutely thrilled for Tarasova and Morozov who were flawless! (I want her dress).

Who were your favorite teams?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Happy that my favourite discipline delivered :hap10: And top placements are my dream placements too! So glad for Sui/Han and Tarasova/Morozov! Hope they will skate lights out in Free as well :) The level of skating they bring is just pure pleasure to watch :love:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Highlight for me: ❤️Ashley Cain-Gribble and ❤️Timothy Leduc. They created a moment. Created an Olympic Moment.

Ashley and Timothy did it with their artistry, their unique qualities--they don't look like anyone else --their passion, joy and commitment .:points: They accomplished this gorgeous skate their way. They fulfilled their vision of pairs skating. One of their goals was to create some space for other pairs teams in the world who are told that they don't 'look' right or have what a pairs team needs. Mission Accomplished!

And their music, the theme from The White Crow, connects to all that so beautifully.

Their happiness was awesome, and so well deserved. They've overcome so many difficulties and worked so hard to have this moment. Beautifully done!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Let’s see what’s going to happen tomorrow, but I think it was a perfect choice to leave the pairs event for last. lot of teams competed really well today, even if some of them had mistakes. The competition was very good to watch.

Erin9

On the Ice
Let’s see what’s going to happen tomorrow, but I think it was a perfect choice to leave the pairs event for last. lot of teams competed really well today, even if some of them had mistakes. The competition was very good to watch.
Maybe I’m not remembering right- but it seems there was a time when women’s was last. Glad that’s not the case this year.

Hopefully - things will end on a happier note in pairs.

Erin9

On the Ice
The order of the Olympics has been pairs-men-dance-women since at least 92, but I’m glad they changed it this time around with the controversy.
Thanks. I had thought pairs had been first too, but couldn’t really remember.

Definitely glad they changed the order this year. Perfect timing. I thought they’d ended with women’s because it seems to be the favorite? But- maybe that had nothing to do with it.

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Very-very nice SP by the majority of pairs, best event so far in terms of overall quality. I thought the scores were fair. I am looking forward to the FP, it should be riveting.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently the host of the Olympic games has the say as to the order of the figure skating disciplines, and they can end with the one which is their strength. Obviously, in China they wouldn't want the women to be last because that's always been China's weakest discipline. Their men haven't had that much success over this quadrennial, and they are virtual newbies to dance. But the Chinese have always had strong pairs teams, dating back to Shen/Zhao, so it should come as no surprise that in Beijing, figure skating events would end with Pairs.

noskates

Record Breaker
I thought Sui and Han were magical. She's fearless and fierce. I can't take my eyes off her. I hope they can maintain their lead and bring home a gold medal. Very proud of the US pairs, especially Knierem and Frazier. I believe their placement in the SP certainly justifies sending them to the Olympics!

Amei

Record Breaker
The order of the Olympics has been pairs-men-dance-women since at least 92, but I’m glad they changed it this time around with the controversy.

My guess is that it was moved to last because the Chinese team Sui/Han are favored for gold

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It felt like a very strong event. I was really surprised that T/M delivered, because they tend to mess something up, but it was a beautiful skate. Basically lovely event overall, and I really 🙏that we’ll see more young pairs, not just the veterans soon. I keep hoping the discipline would grow again!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Great competition, I enjoyed Peng/Jin the most.
Sui/Han are great, but ever since I noticed, how low she is in the air in lifts, I can't unnotice it. It's frustrating for me, that I can't get it out of my head when I don't watch them.
I wonder wether the T/M are finally able to hold it together when it really counts. They are the most talented imo. But I still think M/G or maybe B/S are going to win this. They'll deliver the elements.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cain-Gribble has been nursing an injury to her right ankle.

"In the last 24 hours I've been able to get all the care I need to put on a strong performance today," she said. "I just felt I did not want to let anything go. In the last two years what we've learned the most is how to adapt to what has come our way, and this was just another thing that we needed to adapt to."

"When I went out there, I just focused on what Timothy and I could control, and it was putting out a performance like that," she added. "Everything felt good and in our control."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cain-Gribble has been nursing an injury to her right ankle.
I'm so glad she was able to get the advice and the treatment she needed to perform the way she and Timothy did today. I think the wobble on the throw 3Lz landing was probably a result of the injury, but/and they both simply let that go and performed divinely. Let's hope the treatment and the performance quality can carry through tomorrow ❤️

@gsk8, if you have more quotes, I'd love to read them. Oh wait, I can check Jackie Wong's twitter also.

I want to say how absolutely thrilled I am that the pairs event happened last. This event was so uplifting and beautiful on so many levels. I think we all needed it. Best of luck to everyone competing tomorrow.:hap10: