Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating

bestskate8

On the Ice
On another note a few edges I think Stojko has over Plushenko:

1. Elvis clearly has better spins. It isnt even really a debate.
2. Elvis at his best had as good or arguably better footwork.
3. Elvis had more sincere programs which were true to himself and his own image of skating, even if you didnt like them or their concepts. Plushenkos often were superficial in a sense.

That said I do still consider Plushenko the better skater overall probably. And on that note I end my comments on Stojko who I never even liked anyway and dont care to discuss any further than I already have. Just am glad most are apparently wise enough to see he was indeed the dominant skater of his own era like Plushenko was in the post Yagdin era, and his competitive record does not lag far behind Plushenko as a few initially suggested. He deserves his due for that.

exactly what programs did you compare :confused:

Neda

Rinkside
I am one of those cranks who became Plushenko's fan only after 2010 Olympics. Earlier I didn't understand how one could root for a living Terminator who never fails to get gold. It's so boring – no nerves, no surprises, no happiness. On Vancouver podium for the first time of many years I saw a human, not a medal harvester. May be his behavior at that moment was far from perfect but personally I prefer a desperate child to arrogant demigod. I think he comes back not in vain and I hope many people will be surprised to see new Plushenko. The point where I disagree with the most of you is that Plushenko was on his prime at 2001-2004. Actually, he never was on his prime and 4+3+3 combination never was the ceiling of his potential. He became stagnating at the age of 20 when Yaguding retired. He made all of his records during this great battle but later he just harvested gold medals and deteriorated. Every year he was worse and worse but this was not only because of injuries and definitely not because of age. Just each time he discovered that he could win with easier program. So I'm glad that he had missed gold at recent Olympics and even more that now Chan has soared to an unattainable height. It gives hope to see at last Plushenko's 4+4 combination and quad lutz or something else. May be he won't defeat Chan with that but he still can make some new records and add some points to his legendary status. I wish him in next three seasons to bring something more to figure skating then medals.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am one of those cranks who became Plushenko's fan only after 2010 Olympics. Earlier I didn't understand how one could root for a living Terminator who never fails to get gold. It's so boring – no nerves, no surprises, no happiness. On Vancouver podium for the first time of many years I saw a human, not a medal harvester. May be his behavior at that moment was far from perfect but personally I prefer a desperate child to arrogant demigod. I think he comes back not in vain and I hope many people will be surprised to see new Plushenko. The point where I disagree with the most of you is that Plushenko was on his prime at 2001-2004. Actually, he never was on his prime and 4+3+3 combination never was the ceiling of his potential. He became stagnating at the age of 20 when Yaguding retired. He made all of his records during this great battle but later he just harvested gold medals and deteriorated. Every year he was worse and worse but this was not only because of injuries and definitely not because of age. Just each time he discovered that he could win with easier program. So I'm glad that he had missed gold at recent Olympics and even more that now Chan has soared to an unattainable height. It gives hope to see at last Plushenko's 4+4 combination and quad lutz or something else. May be he won't defeat Chan with that but he still can make some new records and add some points to his legendary status. I wish him in next three seasons to bring something more to figure skating then medals.

Nice post. Skating has few stars of Plushy's magnitude and it is good for the sport if he sticks around.

This time around I might even be in his corner and I look forward to seeing him compete again.

And of course we never know what will come out of his mouth at interviews ;)

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I am one of those cranks who became Plushenko's fan only after 2010 Olympics. Earlier I didn't understand how one could root for a living Terminator who never fails to get gold.

WHOLE POST!

This is such an interesting appraisal of Plushenko's career and possible future!

wmsb

Rinkside
I can hardly agree that "He made all of his records during this great battle but later he just harvested gold medals and deteriorated. Every year he was worse and worse".

Technically, Plu did 433 in 2002 and 2003 (then he might realize it's not necessary) and kept 2 quads or 3A3F in long program until 2004 World. And he continued to win 6.0 until 04 World.

As for program, it's difficult for me to make decision beween once upon a time in America and Saint Peterburg 300 years. Nijinski is a little bit weird to me so I put it at the same level as Godfather. It's just personal taste because seems lots of people love Nijinski.

Anyway, he did get worse after 2005 (especially in technique because artistic is very subject) and 2006 is definitely not his prime. In 2010, he is worser and maybe 2014 will be worserer:p

He cann't add any point to his legendary status because according to pjf, his 09/10 season only decreased the status and it is predictable that even if he struggle to stand on podium in the following 3 years, his status will only be lower and lower:p
(btw, I don't believe he can use 44 in competition)

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Besides after Vancouver, surprising or not Plu gained even more fans and maybe he wants to open a fluffy animals shop cause as long as he gets this everytime in shows people give him the right to be skating as long as he likes.

:laugh: right...

LuCN

Rinkside
a very interesting quote from Johnny Weir about Plushenko and people always think the opposite of Plushenko-Evan Lysacek:

``Evgeny is a very different person than me,'' Weir said. ``He will fight like a dog for medals, which is also something I admired in Evan.

``I was more about performance than points. I'm more artist-athlete than athlete-artist. I would want to come back and make people cheer and cry. I missed my chance at a medal in 2006; that was my time to shine. Maybe if I came back without that pressure, I could just enjoy the journey.''

Binthere

On the Ice
I hope he is reinstated. Would be interesting to see how he actually delivers. If he can pull it off both athletically and artistically .. then truly WOW, hats off to him. If not, it cold be such an irksome and "please cover my eyes" kind of process, like when a ballerina knows not when to get off the stage gracefully.

Underneathe it all seems such a psychological need to be loved or admired or something. The psychodynamics implies a really rough landing in life beyond for him if all does not go well. Just my professional hunch (psychiatrically speaking).

Neda

Rinkside
Dragon sleep

Some ages ago when king Patrick was not yet in the world there lived a huge fierce dragon. He terrified surrounding realms and kingdoms, stole crowds of beautiful ladyes and ate all princes and knights who dared to challenge him. Heralds screamed in vain on the squares, promising half the kingdom, two-thirds of the kingdom, and then the whole kingdom for slaying Great Dragon. Alas! Great-great-grandfather of king Patrick yet snuffle peacefully in his cot and there wasn't another hero in those dark times.

One day Great Dragon decided he ate enough princes and burned enough cities. He straightened mighty wings and flew away to the mountains. Year passed by year. Great Dragon was almost forgotten though sometimes people saw him floating in the sky.

Other dragons were not so strong - when not fighting each other brave knights slayed them, made amulets from their teeth and mail from their scales and hang dragon heads on castle walls. By the time when prince Patrick was born, dragon race was almost eliminated. The young prince descended from a humble clan which has produced great Kings over the years. He was one who challenged the much adored Prince Hunky and beat Prince Gaga (btw, who is he?) by a nose. He slayed huge amount of lesser dragons but what he wanted more than anything else, it's quite a feat. “How boring is to live, - prince Patrick thought. - There was one dragon in the ancient times but even he is feeble wreck now”.

Meanwhile, Great Dragon decided to visit Dragon Lord and flew to the valley. He was astonished how desolate looked place where dragons lived from time immemorial. Dragon found his teacher sorting herbs in the cave. In the middle of the cave a fire was burning and in the corner a small dragon, trembling with fever, lied on a pile of leaves . “Look, - said Dragon Lord sadly. - Our whole tribe was exterminated. This kid is all I have. He promised to be next Great Dragon but his health is poor and there is no time afore. He will die if not tonight of fever then tomorrow of knight's hand”. The dragon felt his heart throbbed with misgiving. “Don't worry, my lord, - he said. - I'll give you as much time as you need”. But he knew he is not already that strong and it may be his last battle.

When people knew that Great Dragon returns they were not scared at all. Moreover, it amused them. “Does that dinosaur fossils still fly? - they laughed. - How many teeth has he? Oh, lets look at his famous stream of flame now, I bet it turned to pathetic old man coughing”. Prince Patrick had the most fun of them all: “I don't need the sword to slay this antiquity, - he said. - I'll kill him with bare hands”. Well... he was very young then.

And the dragon came. Not the convenient feat to impress a young lady but dragon tzar carrying terror and destruction. Yes, he was not the same but still the most mighty creature of dragon race. He ate knights, burned villages, captured crowds of beautiful girls and filled his cave with gold. Neither swords nor arrows harmed him. And Prince Patrick was badly wounded as many other young perky princes.

Fortunately for people old Great Dragon didn't know much about modern magic. Reigning mage entangled his wings with a network of spells and with terrifying roar the dragon fell to the earth. He fought in convulsing, trying to break free from the shackles then high priests plunged him into a deep sleep.

Time passed again. Prince took former errors into account and yet never underestimate the enemy. He has perfectly mastered sword and magic and became the great king. Age of peace and prosperity came to the Golden Kingdom. Age of the new heroes.

But fire burns in the Dragon Lord's cave and revenge burns in his heart. High in the sky maturing Dragon Kid plays somersault, survived his initiation. And deep under the ground Great Dragon sleeps with enchanted dream. His hour to awake is nearer and nearer and nearer...

ciocio

On the Ice
Dragon sleep
But fire burns in the Dragon Lord's cave and revenge burns in his heart. High in the sky maturing Dragon Kid plays somersault, survived his initiation. And deep under the ground Great Dragon sleeps with enchanted dream. His hour to awake is nearer and nearer and nearer...

King Patrick´s kingdom is too peaceful, beautiful ladies are very, very bored. :biggrin::laugh: :yes:
Prince Gaga!!! :laugh:, you´re story is brilliant, Neda, congrats!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Dragon sleep

Some ages ago when king Patrick was not yet in the world there lived a huge fierce dragon. He terrified surrounding realms and kingdoms, stole crowds of beautiful ladyes and ate all princes and knights who dared to challenge him. Heralds screamed in vain on the squares, promising half the kingdom, two-thirds of the kingdom, and then the whole kingdom for slaying Great Dragon. Alas! Great-great-grandfather of king Patrick yet snuffle peacefully in his cot and there wasn't another hero in those dark times.

One day Great Dragon decided he ate enough princes and burned enough cities. He straightened mighty wings and flew away to the mountains. Year passed by year. Great Dragon was almost forgotten though sometimes people saw him floating in the sky.

Other dragons were not so strong - when not fighting each other brave knights slayed them, made amulets from their teeth and mail from their scales and hang dragon heads on castle walls. By the time when prince Patrick was born, dragon race was almost eliminated. The young prince descended from a humble clan which has produced great Kings over the years. He was one who challenged the much adored Prince Hunky and beat Prince Gaga (btw, who is he?) by a nose. He slayed huge amount of lesser dragons but what he wanted more than anything else, it's quite a feat. “How boring is to live, - prince Patrick thought. - There was one dragon in the ancient times but even he is feeble wreck now”.

Meanwhile, Great Dragon decided to visit Dragon Lord and flew to the valley. He was astonished how desolate looked place where dragons lived from time immemorial. Dragon found his teacher sorting herbs in the cave. In the middle of the cave a fire was burning and in the corner a small dragon, trembling with fever, lied on a pile of leaves . “Look, - said Dragon Lord sadly. - Our whole tribe was exterminated. This kid is all I have. He promised to be next Great Dragon but his health is poor and there is no time afore. He will die if not tonight of fever then tomorrow of knight's hand”. The dragon felt his heart throbbed with misgiving. “Don't worry, my lord, - he said. - I'll give you as much time as you need”. But he knew he is not already that strong and it may be his last battle.

When people knew that Great Dragon returns they were not scared at all. Moreover, it amused them. “Does that dinosaur fossils still fly? - they laughed. - How many teeth has he? Oh, lets look at his famous stream of flame now, I bet it turned to pathetic old man coughing”. Prince Patrick had the most fun of them all: “I don't need the sword to slay this antiquity, - he said. - I'll kill him with bare hands”. Well... he was very young then.

And the dragon came. Not the convenient feat to impress a young lady but dragon tzar carrying terror and destruction. Yes, he was not the same but still the most mighty creature of dragon race. He ate knights, burned villages, captured crowds of beautiful girls and filled his cave with gold. Neither swords nor arrows harmed him. And Prince Patrick was badly wounded as many other young perky princes.

Fortunately for people old Great Dragon didn't know much about modern magic. Reigning mage entangled his wings with a network of spells and with terrifying roar the dragon fell to the earth. He fought in convulsing, trying to break free from the shackles then high priests plunged him into a deep sleep.

Time passed again. Prince took former errors into account and yet never underestimate the enemy. He has perfectly mastered sword and magic and became the great king. Age of peace and prosperity came to the Golden Kingdom. Age of the new heroes.

Now this is a legend.

Neda, that is a masterpiece of wit and beauty. Voltaire himself would applaud you.

(I giggled when I got to Prince Gaga--he'd love that name, I'm sure.)

Your use of the CoP should get a GOE of at least +15!

Neda

Rinkside
A lot of thanks to you all. I haven't ever expected such good words. Prince Gaga is not my invention, I stole him and Prince Hunky from the Saga of Prince Patrick. Do you also think that they are Johnny Weir and Brian Joubert? :)

I didn't know about Prince Hunky, but it makes sense. Prince Gaga was immediately obvious to me because of Johnny's well-known admiration of Lady Gaga. The name is still making me smile!