Post-Olympics worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Post-Olympics worlds

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I like the post-Olympics Worlds and am looking forward to it next year. I hope that I'll see at least one U.S. man there that I would have been heartbroken about not making the Olympic team. Maybe even also a U.S. pairs and/or dance team.

There should definitely by a US pair team that isn't at Olympics. The US qualified 2 pairs for worlds, but only one for Olympics because two would have put the total number of qualifiers over the max that can qualify at worlds.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I would say to eliminate the post-Olympics Worlds IF the fields were largely the same.
But they aren't, because the Olympics allows far fewer competitors than Worlds and also has different citizenship rules.

If some skaters feel "done" after Olympics and wish to withdraw from a competition that will be six weeks later, so be it;
there are plenty of talented alternates who will be thrilled to take their places.

And, of course, this Worlds has the important function of setting competition assignments/quotas for the next Grand Prix and Worlds.
Really, it could be viewed as the first event of the new quad instead of the last event in the previous one.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I know that some competitors in ski-sports go to train and do competitions in New Zealand and Argentina during the off season (the Northern Hemisphere's summer).

So, I suppose it could be a possibility.

But, whether the IOC would want to hold a Winter Olympics in July or August is another matter.

Look at the uproar there was when it was proposed that the 2022 football World Cup that was awarded to Qatar could be held in the winter because it would be too hot to play in July and August. All the domestic leagues were up in arms because it would disrupt their seasons.

Of course, a Winter Olympics in July and August wouldn't disrupt the winter sports season. BUT, it would clash with the seasons of summer sports. And, those summer sports have more power and influence than our winter sports.

So, although it would be nice to have a Winter Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere, and nice to have a Winter Olympics that doesn't disrupt the regular winter sports season, I can't see it happening.

CaroLiza_fan

NZ, Argentina and Chile are the only suitable places in the Southern Hemisphere for the Winter Olympics, due to having the right mountains for skiing events. If Australia had the right geography however...

Last edited: