R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor | Page 2 | Golden Skate

R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I am so sorry to hear this. Olympia was a lovely person, and one of the most generous posters at GS. She had a great outlook - she seemed to find something positive to say about every skater.

Yes.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Oh, so sad to hear this: I really admired her, too, as a poster... R.I.P.!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Oh no, I was wondering where her posts went, so unfortunate, she was so knowledgeable and respectful
RIP

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
First Ziggy and now Olympia, my heart is broken today. I have no words right know I am
to upset to write.

BlackPack

Medalist
I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!! First Ziggy and now The Great O!!!!!!!!

Olympia is one of my favorite posters. She was never mean to anyone, even if she disagreed with you. She was a beautiful writer and it's not a surprise she is an actual writer. I'm really sad about this. She is so knowledgeable not just about skating but about everything else. The tales she told evoked so much romance, all told poetically. RIP, Judy.

Sometimes people disappear online and you don't know why. You just hope they moved onto to something else better. At least we know why. I was looking forward to the new season with her amazing commentary.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh no.. No! That's why there were none of her nice posts recently. This is really hard to get and understand. All thoughts to her family and friiends.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I was thinking the same thing. She will be missed. She was one of the most respectful and thoughtful posters in this forum. She was positive about every skater. RIP

Yes, all of this.

RIP Olympia, we will miss your thoughtfulness, your energy and your love for our sport.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I echo everyone's sentiments. I always looked forward to reading her posts. RIP Olympia.

Alba

Record Breaker
Noooooooo this is not happening. :cry:
I'll miss the lovely chat with you about books and cinema dear Olympia.
You were a great person.
Rest in peace.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
We are sad to announce that one of our dearest posters, Olympia, passed away on Sep 30, 2014. Our thoughts and prayers to go out to her friends and family members. Olympia, a member for over five years, was a model poster. She was knowledgeable in an abundance of topics and would have purposeful and fun discussions with anyone. We will miss her dearly.

Her obit can be found here.

We've lost one of our own. I called her office in New York this morning and got the news from the owners. She had worked with them since 1977 and was considered family. She worked on school curriculum matters which will surprise no one here! We had chatted over the years on many topics but I think I got to know her really well during Worlds in London. She could not come so I got her some gifts from the event and sent them to her; that's when I found out who she was. We have shared a lot since. She loved folk music, Stan Rogers in particular, old movies, had a passion for the arts, and most certainly, a love for language.
But I think what I will remember most is that voice of reason, that intellect, that incredible spirit of generosity in this group. She was a very deep profound woman. I never met her in person; I don't even know what she looked like but I met her here. And I must console myself with that.
Her former colleagues are devastated by the loss and I've made them aware of our group. Sad sad day.

Thank you for letting us know that we have lost dear Olympia. :cry: May she rest in peace.

Appreciate the obituary. How wonderful that she devoted herself to a literacy foundation. :bow:

And thanks to Scrufflet for reaching out to Olympia's loving colleagues to discover the sad news. Also for conveying to them that her fellow GS members had so much respect and affection for her. And for giving us a sense of your warm real-life connection with her. Even though you never met in person, your friendship must have been as meaningful to her as it is to you.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
:cry: how heartbreaking, she was an engaging and warm personality. I remember how she would always be among the first to welcome new posters to the forum. May she rest in peace.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was concerned that this might be what we would find out when folks started reaching out to find out why she'd been MIA... but I was not ready to read this. Olympia was one of a kind, from the time she joined (and was somewhat timid to jump into the deep end of GS) she brought an intelligence and maturity that will be incredibly missed on the boards.

She is gone from us far too soon. :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Very upset to hear this.

During my time here, I had chatted to Olympia a few times, and thought she was a lovely woman. Although we were from different generations, I found her really easy to talk to.

As others have said already, she was somebody who took a great interest in finding out about new things, and for passing on the vast knowledge that she already had. She was so enthusiatic about everything.

She was so unassuming and down to earth. So, I am sure she is up there in disbelief at how much we are missing her.

Judy, thank you for bringing so much joy to so many people, just by being you.

CaroLiza_fan

Meoima

Match Penalty
I remember chating with her about books and Dai. :cry: So sad. She was always so positive, even when her favourite skaters didn't win, she never said anything negative about any skater. So sad that we can no longer see her new posts.

R.I.P :cry:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I can't believe this...

She was a very thoughtful, articulate, and compassionate poster. She will be missed.