R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor | Page 3 | Golden Skate

R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just saw the announcement about Olympia and am sitting here in my office w/ tears in my eyes. Never a hint in her posts about her illness -- only warm, wise, elegant, thoughtful comments about skating (of course) and other interests such as books, music, theater, history, and even Project Runway! Her charming personality came through in every one of her posts. She must have been an extraordinary woman and I'm grateful to have had the chance to "know" her, even a little bit, through GS. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Rest with the angels, Olympia. We'll miss you!

BlackPack

Medalist
I just saw the announcement about Olympia and am sitting here in my office w/ tears in my eyes. Never a hint in her posts about her illness -- only warm, wise, elegant, thoughtful comments about skating (of course) and other interests such as books, music, theater, history, and even Project Runway! Her charming personality came through in every one of her posts. She must have been an extraordinary woman and I'm grateful to have had the chance to "know" her, even a little bit, through GS. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Rest with the angels, Olympia. We'll miss you!

Yes, she will finally get to meet John Curry! He was a favorite of hers.

emma

Record Breaker
I often do farm more lurking than posting on this site; and when I get busy I often search for specific posters to catch up with the skating news and analysis, and Olympia was one of those posters whose posts i looked for/forward to reading. I'm very sorry to hear of her passing, and hope she rests in peace and that her loved ones may be at peace.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Thank you for letting us know that we have lost dear Olympia. :cry: May she rest in peace.

Appreciate the obituary. How wonderful that she devoted herself to a literacy foundation. :bow:

And thanks to Scrufflet for reaching out to Olympia's loving colleagues to discover the sad news. Also for conveying to them that her fellow GS members had so much respect and affection for her. And for giving us a sense of your warm real-life connection with her. Even though you never met in person, your friendship must have been as meaningful to her as it is to you.

Thanks. golden 411. Her bosses were terrific. They even called me back to make sure I was OK.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, dear, no. Just no. A real loss to this online community and to all who knew her in person. I will miss her posts on everything, from skating to music to dance.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, no! Olympia was such a wonderful person - so kind, so wise, so humourous. Indeed, her knowledge on such varied subjects was impressive. We were so privileged to have her here on GS - we had such lovely conversations not only on FS, but on books, and movies, and actors... She's been here ever since I joined, and such a force for good. I've missed her dreadfully since she stopped posting - now we obviously know why, I'll miss her even more.

Thank you so much Olympia, for being the person you were, and sharing that with us here on GS.

And RIP.

Naya

On the Ice
How sad...

She was always so polite, positive and wise. My condolences to her family and friends. :(

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
So saddened by the news. I only know Olympia through her posts where her warmth and wisdom shine through. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones at their loss which is also ours.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
RIP Olympia ~ probably the one poster here who never had a negative thing to say about any skater. Heaven has gained another angel.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am truly sad to hear this. Rest in peace Olympia . Judy. My condolences to her family, friends and love ones.

I did wonder where she had gone for a while as she is one of the key member of this forum I enjoy sharing thoughts on fandom for this infuriating but intriguing and fantastic sport over the years. Compassionate, kind, a gentle soul who always looks for the best in people, in situations, and perhaps it is unsurprising to find out she is in the education field and in children's books (it explained her optimism on most things and her thirst for knowledge). I regret to not have known her better but I have always found her to be wise and forgiving which are rarity and life's great virtues. Anyone know how old was she?

Rest in peace Olympia, you are truly one of the great ones. I will miss you very much.

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Though I don't know her, I'm really sad to hear that. (Actually I don't know any posters other than dorispulaski, Mrs.P and AlexRus whose names I come across so often) And all these beautiful sentences said after her is just a proof of how beautiful personality she was.
Rest in peace dear friend. I wish I could be a person like you that the posters here would know about my death and remember me so good like this.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I am truly sad to hear this. Rest in peace Olympia . Judy. My condolences to her family, friends and love ones.

I did wonder where she had gone for a while as she is one of the key member of this forum I enjoy sharing thoughts on fandom for this infuriating but intriguing and fantastic sport over the years. Compassionate, kind, a gentle soul who always looks for the best in people, in situations, and perhaps it is unsurprising to find out she is in the education field and in children's books (it explained her optimism on most things and her thirst for knowledge). I regret to not have known her better but I have always found her to be wise and forgiving which are rarity and life's great virtues. Anyone know how old was she?

Rest in peace Olympia, you are truly one of the great ones. I will miss you very much.
She was 63.