R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor | Page 5 | Golden Skate

R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG! I am so sad to read this news. Judy was one of the kindest, most reasonable posters here. It was always a pleasure to read her insightful posts. May her memory be for a blessing.

Eloise

Rinkside
I enjoyed reading Judy's posts very much, she was knowledgeable, kind and a true figure skating lover. May she rest in peace.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
OMG! I am so sad to read this news. Judy was one of the kindest, most reasonable posters here. It was always a pleasure to read her insightful posts. May her memory be for a blessing.

I'm so grateful to you for alerting us all that she still hadn't posted.

treeloving

Medalist
This is such a horrible news. She is one of the nicest poster I have encountered in any forum. She is so kind to everyone.

BlackPack

Medalist
I just wanted to offer my condolences to Olympia's GS friends as well. I had a wonderful online friend whom I never met but was as close to me as any other real life friend or family member. She passed away too young, like Olympia. I understand what kind of loss this is to people who have lost good online friends but never got to actually meet them physically. I still miss this friend everyday and she passed away a couple of years ago. I can imagine the void some of you must feel.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympia & I used to exchange emails a lot regarding a hobby we both liked.

I loved to tease her, she reacted so lady like when I did.

She loved skating and this post truly epitomizes that love.

Olympia said:
You're right about the disconnect that many people perceive between masculinity and gracefulness. That's one reason I love skating, because it has so many examples of men who are both. I also agree with you about the splendid effect of "what can happen when pairs teams stick together and with the same quality coach consistently." John Nicks was my first pairs coaching idol. I loved the smooth, jazzy, definitely western-hemisphere style that he imparted to Shelley and Starbuck and later to Tai and Randy. Both of these pairs had long careers, both as amateurs and pros. It was interesting that both the men never grew very tall, while both of the ladies did. The lifts that each pair did looked even more impressive to me because the guys had to be so strong. Tai and Randy were still skating when Cherkasova/Shakhrai were doing the gorilla-flea act with Sergei tossing twelve-year-old Marina into quadruple spinny things. The contrast was, as you can imagine, striking.

I was always fascinated to watch a pair or an ice dance couple do a move where just one of them (always the same one) did a spread eagle, and the other did not. The two examples I can remember are Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (where she did a spread eagle with a lovely turnout) and Klimova/Ponomarenko (where, oddly, he was the one with the great turnout).

As for the skaters we're discussing now, I think I still prefer Curry and Wylie to Hanyu. They add more artistic maturity to the move. But I'm eagerly awaiting Yuzuru's artistic growth!

RIP Dear LADY

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't know Olympia too well, but her posts were always so articulate and classy, I liked reading them. Rest in peace.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the quote, Dee! IMO, Olympia was almost always spot-on, but maybe that's because I almost always agreed with her. ;)

She really was a lady -- in the sweet, lovely, old-fashioned sense of that word.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Library" added to forum in honor of Olympia

A forum has been added in honor of Olympia called the "Library" where you can introduce and discuss your favorite books. Let the book clubs begin! Olympia loved reading and I'm sure she will be smiling down from above and looking forward to each post.

A wonderful poster on Golden Skate and a cherished friend. Olympia was a Mao Asada fan who loved Yuna Kim, a Virtue and Moir fan who prized Davis and White, a Daisuke Takahashi fan who admired Evgeni Plushenko. She never had a harsh word for anyone, skater or poster alike.

I corresponded with Olympia on the contributions of women scholars and scientists throughout history, a topic of mutual interest, and about the theory and practice of early childhood education. She was a woman of exceptional insight, always wrapped in kindness and good will. Her passing is a great loss. My sincerest condolences to her family and to her many friends.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, that is such a beautiful and fitting tribute to Olympia! We discussed books on a thread or two - and her love and passion for them really shone through. (Before I fell asleep yesterday, I was actually thinking of some of those discussions with her about books, authors she liked &c.... )