Rabobank Challenge Cup | Golden Skate

Rabobank Challenge Cup

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
According to information from the Dutch Skating Federation the Challenge Cup is still planned:

From 25 to 28 February 2021 The Uithof in The Hague will be the venue for the Challenge Cup supported by Rabobank. The Challenge Cup is normally a competition in which young, up-and-coming talents in the age of 10 to seniors get the chance to measure themselves on a global level with their fellow athletes. Because of COVID-19 only the seniors will participate in the Challenge Cup.

In addition, the competition serves as preparation and final qualification for the international top skaters at the World Championships.

New this year is the international ice dance program for seniors. In ice dancing, in contrast to single- and pair skating, there are no jumps, but choreography and expression of the character of the music is more important. The two parts of the ice dance program are also more different from each other than in figure skating, the parts are rhythm dance and free dance.

The Challenge Cup is and remains a highly appreciated international figure skating competition and fits well with the ambition to get Dutch figure skating at the Olympic level and at the same time bring the sport to the attention of a large Dutch and international audience.

///////////////////////////

Additional info: There is a limit to the number of skaters which can take part:

Senior Ladies: 24
Senior Men: 24 Senior
Pairs: 12 Senior
Ice Dance: 10

In total: 92 skaters at maximum.

There will be no spectators present. Furthermore, there will be a strict protocol and 'bubble' for the teams to comply with COVID-19 measures in place. I hope there will be a stream so many people can watch.

Information about the livestream:
The Challenge Cup can be followed live every day at Schaatsen.nl/live. A day ticket costs € 5,00 and a pass-partout for all days € 15,00. Tickets are not yet available, this will follow later.

For anyone interested: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...lenge-cup-2021-covid-19-measures-level-1/file

Provisional entrees list per 4-2-2021: https://www.schaatsen.nl/media/47417/cc2021-entries-by-name-20210204.pdf.
Although total numbers (92 skaters max) do not exceed the maximum originally envisaged, the organisation has changed the numbers compared to above: there are 30 ladies, 24 men (as intended), 4 Ice Dance couples and 16 Pairs. In total: 92 skaters.

Edit:
Provisional entrees list 11th of February: https://www.schaatsen.nl/media/47483/cc2021-entries-by-name-20210211.pdf
Two less pair couples (the second Austrian couple presumably has withdrawn as have Minerva-Fabienne Hasse/Nolan Seegert from Germany) and an additional ID couple from France. Now in total 90 skaters.

Second edit to the entrees list (15th of February): https://www.schaatsen.nl/media/47563/cc2021-accepted-entries-by-name-20210215.pdf
Now 27 ladies (Dasa Grm, Nicole Schott and Maia Mazzara are no longer on the list), 21 men (Kevin Aymoz, and the three Israelian guys are off the list, but Mikhail Kolyada is new on the list), 13 pairs (the Israelian couple has left) and 4 ID couples once more (another Israelian couple left). Now in total 82 skaters listed.

Entrees/results are up! I've changed the link.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Latest update: Plans are still going forward. However, due to the possibility of the introduction of a curfew in the country it is possible the schedules of the competition will have to be adapted (all during daytime hours).

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Latest update: Plans are still going forward. However, due to the possibility of the introduction of a curfew in the country it is possible the schedules of the competition will have to be adapted (all during daytime hours).
Any clue who some of the skaters will be. And daytime should be good.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I wish I did. The information on the website only states that interest has been overwhelming but that it is unclear whether all applicants will actually come.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
In normal years there is quite a big contingent of Japanese Skaters at Challenge Cup. In 2020 both Rika Kihira and Shoma Uno were present (and won in their disciplines). Having a real ID competition is a first (last year there was a Nationals ID with 1 couple) for Challenge. Or at least since the 2000's. I hope Kana and Daisuke will be there. Even from behind a screen (but then, I've only seen them from behind a screen anyways), that should be a highlight.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There will be a livestream, but it won't be for Free. I'll edit the first post.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Could be just me, but charging the same amount of money for a livestream as what you’d normally pay as entrance fee (!) seems... a bit much, maybe? Especially if it’s the same (free) stream as the previous years (I’m glad it was provided, but I wouldn’t call it a high-quality stream).

I mean, I understand why they feel they have to this year, the money has to come from somewhere, and I’m thrilled they are able to organize the event, but... it just seems weird to be charging double the amount of money that I spent on a week-long subscription to almost 100 Japanese TV channels... including everything even remotely related to Japanese Nationals.
Never mind the free Russian Nats stream.

I’m sure I’ll end up paying, regardless, but... *shrug*

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 5 euros a day or 15 for an all weekend pass they are charging doesn’t seem so unreasonable.

Helps offset the losses of the love crowd.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I agree with Winnie_20. Normally I pay 15 euros to be able to come, go and watch when I please (I happen to live close by) and join in the crowd when it fits me, while the livestream is free for those times when it fits me less, now I pay the same amount just for the livestream only. Having said that, I usually think the event really is too cheap for visiting a complete competition with skaters from nearly everywhere except - usually - Russian skaters who don't tend to come to Challenge Cup. And the categories I find less interesting -if cute - won't be taking part, and there's Ice Dance! I'll pay up I suppose, because I really hope to watch. And it will hopefully offset some of the losses.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have just included a link to the (provisional) entrees list as per the 4th of February in the opening post. ID competition seems to be very small (only 4 ID couples). Donovan Carillo is on the list for men. Surprisingly there will be a Russian pair (Tarasova/Morosov), a first for me to see Russian Skaters at Challenge Cup.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to information from the Dutch Skating Federation the Challenge Cup is still planned:

From 25 to 28 February 2021 The Uithof in The Hague will be the venue for the Challenge Cup supported by Rabobank. The Challenge Cup is normally a competition in which young, up-and-coming talents in the age of 10 to seniors get the chance to measure themselves on a global level with their fellow athletes. Because of COVID-19 only the seniors will participate in the Challenge Cup.

In addition, the competition serves as preparation and final qualification for the international top skaters at the World Championships.

New this year is the international ice dance program for seniors. In ice dancing, in contrast to single- and pair skating, there are no jumps, but choreography and expression of the character of the music is more important. The two parts of the ice dance program are also more different from each other than in figure skating, the parts are rhythm dance and free dance.

The Challenge Cup is and remains a highly appreciated international figure skating competition and fits well with the ambition to get Dutch figure skating at the Olympic level and at the same time bring the sport to the attention of a large Dutch and international audience.

///////////////////////////

Additional info: There is a limit to the number of skaters which can take part:

Senior Ladies: 24
Senior Men: 24 Senior
Pairs: 12 Senior
Ice Dance: 10

There will be no spectators present. Furthermore, there will be a strict protocol and 'bubble' for the teams to comply with COVID-19 measures in place. I hope there will be a stream so many people can watch.

Information about the livestream:
The Challenge Cup can be followed live every day at Schaatsen.nl/live. A day ticket costs € 5,00 and a pass-partout for all days € 15,00. Tickets are not yet available, this will follow later.

For anyone interested: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...lenge-cup-2021-covid-19-measures-level-1/file

Povisional entrees list per 4-2-2021: https://www.schaatsen.nl/media/47417/cc2021-entries-by-name-20210204.pdf
I see 30 entries so far. That’s more than the 24 entry cap that was announced. Are there going to be cuts or did they expand the field?

YoenNL

Rinkside
I see 30 entries so far. That’s more than the 24 entry cap that was announced. Are there going to be cuts or did they expand the field
As there were so many Pair entries and so few Dance, we held a poll under the entering Members if they agree to switch Ladies/Men, so that we can accommodate more Ladies. The overwhelming majority agreed to the switch. We also increased the number of Pairs to 16.