Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 126 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you don't do a combo in the SP on either of your non axel jumping passes you will receive it. If your first jump is a 3z and you miss it then you could add it to your next triple but if you don't the first jump or the one the judges believe to be the attempted combo gets it. It becomes negative -3 GOE in addition.

This is a real problem in juniors were one solo triple is required not in combination. I think this year it was a solo lutz so you only get one pass at a combo. The axel isn't allowed in combination in the SP.

Someone may need to correct me here because I just whipped out this response a bit quick.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, that's correct. +COMBO applies to the short program only. One of the non-axel jumping passes needs to be in combination. If neither of them is, the tech panel will decide which one should have been and add +COMBO to the first jump. That's the one thing that is still required to be -3 GOE.

As Sam-Skwantch says, at levels other than junior the skater can often tack a second jump on the end of what was supposed to be the jump out of steps. Sometimes that saves them point, sometimes not.

As for repeating jumps in the free skate, the limits are on repeating specific jumps. There are no limits on repeating the same combination.

Where combinations do come into play is that for triples and quads (of which only two may be repeated, and no more than two of the same jump), each of those repeated triples or quads must be in combination or sequence at least one of the two times it is executed. It's fine if it's combination both times. And there's no rule that the other jump it's in combination with can't also be the same.

Warwick360

Medalist
There was a thread here about the guy from TSL and his constant criticism. I tried searching it in the list but can't find it right now. Can someone do me a favour and reply me with a link if they know where it is. I have a rant of my own to spew on them here. :con3:

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight
The first and third are the same entry, from a mohawk. (The third just has lots of preceding footwork, but the entry itself is an inside mohawk.) As far as I know, there are two flip entries: outside 3-turn and inside mohawk.

Thank you very much, now it is clear to me.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I was wondering yesterday how the twist lift came to be and when was it first included in pairs programs. My attempts to research this question didn't yield much information, so I'll be glad if someone here knows :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's also possible to get into a flip jump from a half-loop jump, as in this combination. But that's quite rare.

And sometimes we see a cross-step from backward on the other foot to back inside edge and then pick which would be a flip. But usually when that happens the skater was trying to cross onto an outside edge for a lutz and didn't get onto the lutz edge. I can't think of any examples offhand when the skater was clearly intending the inside edge flip takeoff. It wouldn't surprise me if it has been done on some rare occasions.

Otherwise, it would theoretically be possible but probably too difficult to be worth trying for a skater to use a turn other than three turn or mohawk that ends up on a back inside edge, or a hop other than half loop that ends up on a back inside edge, as the means of getting into a flip takeoff.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was a thread here about the guy from TSL and his constant criticism. I tried searching it in the list but can't find it right now. Can someone do me a favour and reply me with a link if they know where it is. I have a rant of my own to spew on them here. :con3:

Here is a new thread by a poster that appears to be implying he is Dave from TSL. Let him have it there if you like :biggrin:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Canada-Recap&p=1270307&viewfull=1#post1270307

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Here is what appears to be a new thread by a poster that appears to be implying he is Dave from TSL. Let him have it there if you like :biggrin:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Canada-Recap&p=1270307&viewfull=1#post1270307

Yes can a moderator clarify if this is for real or not, and if so whether Golden Skate is in fact endorsing this 'discussion' TSL wants to have here? Should they not really be posting in Share It! if it really is them, or does their relative popularity exempt them?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes can a moderator clarify if this is for real or not, and if so whether Golden Skate is in fact endorsing this 'discussion' TSL wants to have here? Should they not really be posting in Share It! if it really is them, or does their relative popularity exempt them?

Golden Skate has decided to cross-promote with TSL. Paula can provide more details, but the thread was designed to complement the video that is now embedded on the main forum page.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Golden Skate has decided to cross-promote with TSL. Paula can provide more details, but the thread was designed to complement the video that is now embedded on the main forum page.

Got it, thanks for the quick response.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx very much for giving us the news of the official cross-promotion, Mrs. P :).

I know that you and many others remember that back in the day, GS software automatically would purge TSL links from The Edge. :drama:

Red-letter day that a new chapter of symbiosis is starting. :ghug:

Hope it will be a win-win for all. :popcorn:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry for the delay in getting news out! I hope you all welcome Dave with warm hugs as he has been honest, nice, and forthcoming. Have fun discussing the recap!

GS software automatically would purge TSL links from The Edge

Actually they were just moved to the Share It folder a long time ago. As per forum guidelines, unless a site/blog reciprocates in some way, that is where those links go :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry for the delay in getting news out! I hope you all welcome Dave with warm hugs as he has been honest, nice, and forthcoming. Have fun discussing the recap!

Actually they were just moved to the Share It folder a long time ago. As per forum guidelines, unless a site/blog reciprocates in some way, that is where those links go :)

Yes, that is what I was saying -- that back then, TSL links would be auto-purged from The Edge ... (and transferred to Share It, although I did not spell that out).
And I did/do understand the reasoning behind what was going on then.

Exactly why it is rather big news for some of us that a GS/TSL agreement for cross-promotion now has been established. Who woulda thunk that the day would come that we could chat back and forth in The Edge with none other than Dave himself? :laugh:

Last edited:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Yes, they did talk about GS a the end of their SC recap. I think this cross-promotion is a brilliant idea that would hopefully increase the popularity of FS on the internet :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope you will not rant, and will be respectful to Dave, as you would be to any other GS poster. You are allowed to say why you disagree with TSL though.

Last edited:

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
You forgot the classic "put her on diet pills". I can't believe this type of people... Are they morons? We are talking about kids/teenagers, hardworking kids actually! Don't they remember how it was when they grew up? It's hard already with all your body changes, add that to being in the public eye and working your *** off!
And how on earth can athletes be fat? Are they blind? Liza looks excelent, the only concern we should ever address about these people is when we really think their health is in danger!
The saying "people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones" ...quiet relevant here. This sport is full of nasty , critical people who couldnt make it themselves and love tearing skaters down (particularly girls) at the first oppurtunity. Sadly sexism rears its head often as the boys have less competition and dont seem to cop the physical scrutiny young women do!

JayW

Final Flight
It's also possible to get into a flip jump from a half-loop jump, as in this combination. But that's quite rare.

And sometimes we see a cross-step from backward on the other foot to back inside edge and then pick which would be a flip. But usually when that happens the skater was trying to cross onto an outside edge for a lutz and didn't get onto the lutz edge. I can't think of any examples offhand when the skater was clearly intending the inside edge flip takeoff. It wouldn't surprise me if it has been done on some rare occasions.

Otherwise, it would theoretically be possible but probably too difficult to be worth trying for a skater to use a turn other than three turn or mohawk that ends up on a back inside edge, or a hop other than half loop that ends up on a back inside edge, as the means of getting into a flip takeoff.

Oh my, how could I forgot the great Plushy. That is a gutsy flip!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Oh yessssssss, I love this combo. I wish he'd done it more. I wish we could see it again.

Oi, Max, get on that. Reckon he could.