Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 136 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Where did the nickname 'P Chiddy' originate?

I am pretty sure that Patrick came up with it on his own. It is a sort of teenage Pig Latin-y slang invented by old time rapper Sean Combs (formerly known as Puff Daddy, or P-Diddy).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Where did the nickname 'P Chiddy' originate?

IIRC, Scott Moir and Dylan Moscovitch have made competing :laugh: claims of credit for coining PChiddy.

I believe it remains matter of friendly :yes: dispute.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
People......How did I not know that Tanith actually Married Charlie White. I knew they were engaged but when did they get Married? I was watching The Cup Of Russia and I kept hearing her and thinking I knew her voice. Then they came back from commercial and there she was saying "Hi, I'm Tanith White. It was very cute.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Okay, I'm going to be brave and ask some of my stupid questions now. I hope I don't get made fun of too much.

1) Do the guys wear tights under their pants in their costumes? Or is it some type of boxer brief?

2) At U.S. Nationals, I've noticed there has always been a group of women in the first row in U.S. flag jackets. Does anyone know who they are?

3) What's the real rationale behind some of the ladies wearing over-the-boot tights? It can't be that they don't want to polish their boots, right? Wouldn't the chance of a runner greatly increase anyway? I would think that would be worse than the time it takes to polish your boots.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Musicfan80, "Do the guys wear tights under their pants in their costumes? Or is it some type of boxer brief?"

I don't know if they do anymore. However, in my day a man would NEVER wear a Unitard Costume like Johnny Weir's Otonal, Without wearing a full Unitard ( Usually 1 size smaller than your costume ) underneath it. They do this because it gives a smooth line and allows a skater to wear under garments without creating bra or dance belt lines that ruin a skater's look.

I hope that made sense.

musicfan80

Medalist
Thanks for your answers so far. :)

About the tights over boots, I think the idea is to create a longer leg line.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Kim_2009_TEB_SP.jpg

Problem is, you really can't make legs look long if they just aren't. An example of this, IMO, is the leotards that the U.S. women's gymnastics team at Worlds last month. Apparently they made a higher cut at the hip to make their lines look longer. I think it just ended up looking odd.

Musicfan80, "Do the guys wear tights under their pants in their costumes? Or is it some type of boxer brief?"

I don't know if they do anymore. However, in my day a man would NEVER wear a Unitard Costume like Johnny Weir's Otonal, Without wearing a full Unitard ( Usually 1 size smaller than your costume ) underneath it. They do this because it gives a smooth line and allows a skater to wear under garments without creating bra or dance belt lines that ruin a skater's look.

I hope that made sense.

Yeah, I always figured that there must be some sort of tights underneath there - even in cases where the costume is a separate top and pants.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, I'm going to be brave and ask some of my stupid questions now. I hope I don't get made fun of too much.

1) Do the guys wear tights under their pants in their costumes? Or is it some type of boxer brief?

2) At U.S. Nationals, I've noticed there has always been a group of women in the first row in U.S. flag jackets. Does anyone know who they are?

3) What's the real rationale behind some of the ladies wearing over-the-boot tights? It can't be that they don't want to polish their boots, right? Wouldn't the chance of a runner greatly increase anyway? I would think that would be worse than the time it takes to polish your boots.

1. This is entirely personal preference. Some guys wear jockstraps, some wear dance belts, some wear regular underwear or the boxer kind. It depends on what the skater is comfortable with. Equally, some women prefer not to wear a bra or underwear under their dresses (many dresses come with inbuilt support), while others can't go without it. Again, personal choice.

2. Fans? I guess they're friends who like to go to Nationals together. There was a group of Where's Wallys at Skate Canada this year.

3. Allegedly to create a longer leg-line and also because some skaters' boots get ripped up quite badly. I hate them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
1. This is entirely personal preference. Some guys wear jockstraps, some wear dance belts, some wear regular underwear or the boxer kind. It depends on what the skater is comfortable with. Equally, some women prefer not to wear a bra or underwear under their dresses (many dresses come with inbuilt support), while others can't go without it. Again, personal choice.

2. Fans? I guess they're friends who like to go to Nationals together. There was a group of Where's Wallys at Skate Canada this year.

3. Allegedly to create a longer leg-line and also because some skaters' boots get ripped up quite badly. I hate them.

Karne, any skater who gets to choose what they were wearing at any time is very lucky. Honestly, my students basically wore what I told them to but, they were a group so, it's much different than individual skating. As weird as this sounds. When I was dancing, I never got to choose what I was wearing, or how I wore it. It sounds kind sad when you think about it. But it was no big deal.

gkelly

Record Breaker
if you complete the highest adult MITF test, can you start testing the regular MITF? do you have to start from pre-prelim or do you start off at an equivalent level? would you essentially be unable to compete in the regular levels until you're a senior skater? (because of the age restrictions..?)

and i know that you have to pass the free skate test to compete.

You're talking in the US?

See the rulebook at http://usfigureskating.org/New_Judging.asp?id=361

You must be 21 to take the adult moves tests pre-bronze, bronze, silver, and gold.

I believe the answer to your first question is TR 19.02 B:
"Adult skaters who have passed the adult gold moves in the field are permitted to take the standard intermediate moves in the field test without testing the standard pre-preliminary through juvenile moves in the field tests."

The first standard level with no age limits (within the US) is novice. So if you pass the novice tests as an adult you can compete as a novice. Or even if you just pass intermediate tests, you could "skate up" to novice at club competitions but you'd have to actually pass the tests to compete at regionals.

I've known a couple of adults who have passed tests in their 20s or early 30s and competed in standard track events.

JMJ2015

Rinkside
This questions is going back a couple of years now but I've been trying to find an answer for that time and never did. How did the Davis/White pull through and then fly up onto his back lift work? I know Charlie said it hurt when not done perfectly. Who was bearing the brunt of that?

Also, I've seen various ice dancers do this and the Shibutaines do it entering the lift at the end of their SD this year: the female comes up slightly behind the male and is kind of scooped up onto his shoulders. How does that move work?

I've tried to figure this out but it is completely beyond me and my cats are reluctant to let me try my theories on them :).

Thanks!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Problem is, you really can't make legs look long if they just aren't. An example of this, IMO, is the leotards that the U.S. women's gymnastics team at Worlds last month. Apparently they made a higher cut at the hip to make their lines look longer. I think it just ended up looking odd.

Synchronized swimmers also wear suits with that super-high-cut leg. In their case, it's to make them look higher in the water when they do a move that involves shooting up (when they are right side up). Of course it would have the opposite effect when they are upside-down, but they don't get high enough when upside-down for it to matter.

He's some actions shots of synchro suits - click on next to see a lot of them.

http://www.sikids.com/photos/9102/synchronized-swimming-worlds/2

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This questions is going back a couple of years now but I've been trying to find an answer for that time and never did. How did the Davis/White pull through and then fly up onto his back lift work? I know Charlie said it hurt when not done perfectly. Who was bearing the brunt of that?

Also, I've seen various ice dancers do this and the Shibutaines do it entering the lift at the end of their SD this year: the female comes up slightly behind the male and is kind of scooped up onto his shoulders. How does that move work?

I've tried to figure this out but it is completely beyond me and my cats are reluctant to let me try my theories on them :).

Thanks!

Welcome to Golden Skate, JMJ2015!

I think that these lifts would be good subjects for our slow motion vid makers, so I will copy your question to that thread in the hopes they will help answer then!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so...how is it determined that we are at rinkside? medalist? or bona fide members? and how can we edit it as I can see on many people's profiles.... if there's a post about this, i certainly missed it in the FAQ ? is that stupid enough of a question to be part of this thread?

tulosai

Record Breaker
so...how is it determined that we are at rinkside? medalist? or bona fide members? and how can we edit it as I can see on many people's profiles.... if there's a post about this, i certainly missed it in the FAQ ? is that stupid enough of a question to be part of this thread?

I think you should most definitely have enough posts to be able to edit yours?? I don't remember how to do it though... I did it a really long time ago now :(

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think you should most definitely have enough posts to be able to edit yours?? I don't remember how to do it though... I did it a really long time ago now :(

Okay, I tinkered a bit. Click Settings, then click Edit Profile. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see a setting called 'custom title'. In the box there enter what you want, then save!