Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 166 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

tulosai

Record Breaker
I was looking through old results from the Canadian Championships on Wikipedia, and at the bottom of the 1996 page, I spotted this:

Fours

RankNameFS
1Jodeyne Higgins / Sean Rice / Alison Purkiss / Scott MacDonald
2Samantha Marchant / Chad Hawse / Cecily Restivo / Scott Cornfoot

What on Earth is a Fours Competition?!

From looking elsewhere on the page, each team is made up of two Pairs partnerships. But, how does it work?

1996 is as far back as Wikipedia goes for the Canadian Championships. And by the looks of things the Fours Championships were not held again after that.

So, was this a one-off experimental format competition that didn't really work? Or was 1996 the final year of a run?

Have Fours competitions been held anywhere else?

This has got me really intrigued!

CaroLiza_fan

I have no idea but I hope someone will answer- this blows my mind, too.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It was indeed a competition among groups of four skaters that were essentially two pair teams and did pairs moves.

It was held on and off since the middle of the 20th century in the US and Canada. I don't know about anywhere else, but not as an ISU event.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCK6AG18AcE

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It was indeed a competition among groups of four skaters that were essentially two pair teams and did pairs moves.

It was held on and off since the middle of the 20th century in the US and Canada. I don't know about anywhere else, but not as an ISU event.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCK6AG18AcE

Thank you so much for the answer, gkelly. And even more thanks for the video. :bow: :clap: :points:

So, it is 2 Pairs partnerships doing the same routine side by side.

Boys but that must be difficult to do! :eek:

Like, we know how difficult it can be for two skaters to do individual moves in sync (sbs spins, twizzles, etc.). But two partnerships doing a whole routine in sync?!

Respect to them! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I can imagine that it is kinda like Synchro in that, when it goes right, it looks amazing. But when something goes wrong, it looks awful.

So, I can understand why not many Pairs partnerships would want to do it. And, hence, why it didn't take off.

Thank you again

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
SBS Throw jumps, wow :eek: :bow: But it looks like mini team sychro for me. With very difficult moves.

MeineKatze

On the Ice
I am going to attend Skate America and I have some questions about attending figure skating competitions as I am a new fan who's never been to one.
Can we attend their practice sessions for free?
Is there any chance for a regular fan to meet skaters for a few seconds to hand them small gifts and get their autograph?
What should I expected in a fs competition? Will there be any merchandise, fair and fun events outside of or near the venue?
Where do fans get their flags ( I want to bring a flag of Japan) and flower shaped plush toy ?( I assume the plush flowers are better because real ones could make mess on the ice)
Will all the skaters be staying in the same hotel?
Which seats in the arena are the best to see the skater up close like when they are coming in, interacting with their coaches and stuff? or which seats are better for overall view of skaters' performance?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You will have to ask the Skate America organisers if they require a practice pass to attend practices. At Worlds, a practice pass was included in the all-event ticket.

It might happen but is more likely to happen at the official hotel than at the rink.

There will probably be some merchandise stalls. There will also probably be boot/blade/clothing stalls. Probably not any funfair type stuff.

I bought my Australian flag from a National Geographic store in my home town. If you want a Japanese flag, especially if you live in America, you might do better looking on the internet. Fake flowers are good and can be found at most dollar shops, but stuffed animals are also cute. I used stuffedwithplushtoys.com to get my plush Black Swan for Max at Worlds.

Yes, all of the skaters and officials will be in the official event hotel.

You probably won't get to see the skaters coming in, interacting with their coaches etc because this usually takes place in a backstage area that is closed off to all except those with the right credentials. For me, I was 19 rows back at Worlds and in a corner, which was still a good view; I would like to have sat a little closer. I always thought the judges' side was better until I went to Worlds and saw the judges on a big stand that could impede the view. If I had my time again I'd go for the opposite side of the judges. But it is likely that the best seats for Skate America are gone now, given we're less than a month away.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Further info to add to karne's answers:

All-event tickets to Skate America include practice passes. There isn't a unique 'practice pass' ticket like last season, but each of the all-event tickets have printed on them "*Practice Session Access*". These will get you into all practice sessions.

Last year, Skate America hosted a "first-ever" tailgate party outside the venue on Friday evening. Unfortunately, much of it was rained-out, and most people stayed inside the venue instead. I haven't seen an announcement about Chicago this year, but last year the info seemed to be given out in the final days leading up to the competition...

There were also Team USA autograph sessions on Saturday & Sunday. But again, this is just based off last year's SkAm.

See my post last year for info about these past events for tailgating & autographs:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...kate-America&p=1250972&viewfull=1#post1250972

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am going to attend Skate America and I have some questions about attending figure skating competitions as I am a new fan who's never been to one.
Can we attend their practice sessions for free?
Is there any chance for a regular fan to meet skaters for a few seconds to hand them small gifts and get their autograph?
What should I expected in a fs competition? Will there be any merchandise, fair and fun events outside of or near the venue?
Where do fans get their flags ( I want to bring a flag of Japan) and flower shaped plush toy ?( I assume the plush flowers are better because real ones could make mess on the ice)
Will all the skaters be staying in the same hotel?
Which seats in the arena are the best to see the skater up close like when they are coming in, interacting with their coaches and stuff? or which seats are better for overall view of skaters' performance?

Skate America sells stuffed plush sun flowers, sometimes plush roses from 5 dollars. They do not sell flags. At the judges side, the view often will be blocked for at least the first 10 rows. Really annoying for fans to get a good view. you will need to sit higher up into the end of club session to get a view without block, That is already kinda too far to appreciate performance to its full extend. but very good at feeling skaters' speed, ice pattern, projection etc.
the side opposite to judged around row 10 is probably the best view(but may miss some facial expression specifically reserved for judges), too close to the ice like row 1, or 2, you will probably miss some jumps towards the shorter ends of the rink.
Anyways, no matter where you sit, it will be a great experience for you, and you will for sure gain some knowledge that you will never get by just watching TVs.
if you wanna interact with skating stars, a good way is to watch practice session. you will watch them quite closely. but you have to be really brave and bold to get a auto or give a gift to them at practice session. there are usually quite a few young girls will do such thing around skater entrance areas, you may mixed with them that will make you feel much easier:biggrin: if you are looking for autograph from Japanese skaters, it is usually quite difficult, you have to be super lucky, either meet them on the street or in the hotel, or asking a lot, maybe you will get one. American skaters will have officially organized autograph session, and you can take photos with them as well.

EDIT: you may wanna bring a translucent bag if you plan to bring a lot of stuffed animal with you. At Boston the security check is kinda strict, and translucent bags are suggested. All these figure skating event gears are highly reusable, such as bags, flags, banners, national themed costumes, head gears, blankets etc. for your future events.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right my turn to ask a question. I love looking at URs, counting rotations, checking edges etc, but when it comes to spot assignments, I have a devil of a time keeping the numbers straight.

What does Team Australia need to do to get direct-entry spots to the Olympics and not go through Nebelhorn to qualify?

Also, do we know if there is an updated standings list for the Team Event somewhere or do we think this won't be looked at until next year when we actually have to start looking at it? Because I'm actually thinking #AustraliaForTheTeamEvent is a very good possibility (and we were darned closed last time).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... What does Team Australia need to do to get direct-entry spots to the Olympics and not go through Nebelhorn to qualify? ...

Caveat that the ISU has not yet designated which specific international will be used for Olympic qualifying. (Has not named it as Nebelhorn, in other words.)

I think the only possible ways for any country to qualify for Olympic spots are via 2017 Worlds or via the Autumn 2017 international.

ETA, re qualifying via 2017 Worlds:

If an Aussie entry places in the top ten at 2017 Worlds, then Australia gets two entries at 2018 OWG.

Otherwise, possible that an Aussie entry at 2017 Worlds could earn one spot at 2018 OWG by the following means:
Next best ranked athlete from the NFs not qualified with three (3) and two (2) places, until the quotas of qualification through the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 are reached.
The quotas for qualification via 2017 Worlds are:
Men Single Skating: 24; Ladies Single Skating: 24; Pair Skating: 32 (16 pairs); Ice Dance: 38 (19 couples).​

... Also, do we know if there is an updated standings list for the Team Event somewhere or do we think this won't be looked at until next year when we actually have to start looking at it? Because I'm actually thinking #AustraliaForTheTeamEvent is a very good possibility (and we were darned closed last time).

No comps so far will count toward Olympic Team Event qualification, AFAIK.

The ones that will count:

- ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 (season 2016/17)
- ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and Final season 2017/18

Plus if necessary the following events:
- ISU European Figure Skating Championships/ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2017 (season 2016/17)
- ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2017 (season 2016/17) 
- ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2017/18 (only in individual events but not the Final)​

(See pp. 3-5 + p. 8 at the link above.)​

... ... I used stuffedwithplushtoys.com to get my plush Black Swan for Max at Worlds. ...

OMG ... if you mentioned it at the time, I am embarrassed :hopelessness: to say that I didn't notice it. So sweet :luv17:.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm trying to figure out minimum placement - so where Brendan, Kailani/Brooklee, Katia and Harley et al need to finish at Worlds. This is very confusing because it depends on the number of spots that the other countries have? Beyond confused now.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Caveat that the ISU has not yet designated which specific international will be used for Olympic qualifying. (Has not named it as Nebelhorn, in other words.)

They had a meeting at Nebelhorn about the qualification event, I have to admit though, that I did not follow the presentation much. But waiting for an official announcement is clearly the best choice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm trying to figure out minimum placement - so where Brendan, Kailani/Brooklee, Katia and Harley et al need to finish at Worlds. This is very confusing because it depends on the number of spots that the other countries have? Beyond confused now.

Yes, my understanding is that it will depend on how many spots in the quota are used up by other countries who earn three spots or two spots.

Two hypothetical examples, if I understand correctly:

The quota for OWG pairs spots via 2017 Worlds is 16 pairs.
So hypothetically, if we pretend that 2017 Worlds results for pairs end up being identical to 2016 (see below), then all 16 spots in the quota via Worlds would be used up.

3 spots each for Canada and Russia = 6 spots
2 spots each for China, Germany, USA, France, Italy = 10 spots

But we obviously cannot assume that 2017 Worlds results will be identical to 2016.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028358.htm

But the quota for OWG men's spots via 2017 Worlds is 24.
So hypothetically, if we pretend that 2017 Worlds results for men end up being identical to 2016 (see below), then only 15 of 24 spots in the quota via Worlds would be used up by countries that earn three slots or two slots.

3 spots for Japan
2 spots each for Spain, China, Russia, Canada, USA, Czech Republic = 12 spots

The remaining 9 spots would go to (in order):
Kazakhstan, Italy, Israel, Latvia, Uzbekistan, Belgium, Australia, Philippines, France.

But we obviously cannot assume that 2017 Worlds results will be identical to 2016.

1Javier FERNANDEZESP314.9321
2Yuzuru HANYUJPN295.1712
3Boyang JINCHN270.9953
4Mikhail KOLYADARUS267.9765
5Patrick CHANCAN266.7538
6Adam RIPPONUSA264.4474
7Shoma UNOJPN264.2546
8Max AARONUSA254.1487
9Michal BREZINACZE237.991110
10Grant HOCHSTEINUSA237.25169
11Denis TENKAZ230.131212
12Ivan RIGHINIITA228.52913
13Alexei BYCHENKOISR226.071911
14Deniss VASILJEVSLAT224.541016
15Misha GEUZB223.531514
16Jorik HENDRICKXBEL221.431415
17Brendan KERRYAUS210.561717
18Maxim KOVTUNRUS210.141321
19Michael Christian MARTINEZPHI204.102318
20Chafik BESSEGHIERFRA203.202020
21Julian Zhi Jie YEEMAS202.942219
22Phillip HARRISGBR190.422122
23Ivan PAVLOVUKR178.892423
24June Hyoung LEEKOR174.881824

Final Not Reached
25Javier RAYAESP65.06
26Han YANCHN62.56
27Nam NGUYENCAN61.61
28Franz STREUBELGER57.19
29Denis MARGALIKARG52.31
30Slavik HAYRAPETYANARM49.36

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028356.htm

They had a meeting at Nebelhorn about the qualification event, I have to admit though, that I did not follow the presentation much. But waiting for an official announcement is clearly the best choice.

Good to know. Thx, Alex :bow:.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...but stuffed animals are also cute. I used stuffedwithplushtoys.com to get my plush Black Swan for Max at Worlds...

Why, oh why, did you tell me about that site?

I could buy up their whole stock!!! :biggrin: :laugh:

Mind you, I was disappointed that when I went into the "Mythical Creatures" section, there was no Phoenix / Firebird. :disapp:

However, I then did a search on Google. And whilst I couldn't find a Phoenix / Firebird that I liked, I did spot this:

http://www.glasskat.com/2440_Firebird Ballerina_L.jpg

Well, if I can't find a real Anna Pogo to cuddle, I suppose this will have to do! ;) :laugh:

I know, it's no-where near as cute as the real thing! :love:

CaroLiza_fan

Please let this latest attempt at humour work! My attempts at humour are backfiring too often! :slink:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why, oh why, did you tell me about that site?

I could buy up their whole stock!!! :biggrin: :laugh:

:laugh: I actually, back when I finalised my plans to attend Worlds, had a list on a bit of paper of all my favourite skaters and what Australian animal I would bring to Worlds for them.

I had to throw the list out in January because it was making me too sad, as I crossed name after name after name off the list :cry:. In the end, I bought the plush Black Swan for Max, tied some green and gold ribbons around its neck, and bought a couple of emoticon cushions for Brendan and Kailani. And then Kailani never even made the free, so I was even more sad, and threw her cushion to Duhamel/Radford instead.

AndreaRu

On the Ice
USFS said they would announce host cities/clubs for 2018 regionals in August of this year. I've looked all over and I can't find the announcement. Has anyone seen it? Have they just not announced yet?

musicfan80

Medalist
All right, I haven't asked (what I thought was) a dumb question in this thread in the awhile, but I have to wonder: Why did Adam Rippon not get a costume deduction in the Men's SP at Skate America? I thought the men's costumes have to have sleeves - even if they are just cap sleeves.

But then again, wouldn't Rafael Arutyunyan raise an issue with the costume and demand a change if he thought Adam could get a deduction for it?

So maybe, I've asked two dumb questions here. :scratch2:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
All right, I haven't asked (what I thought was) a dumb question in this thread in the awhile, but I have to wonder: Why did Adam Rippon not get a costume deduction in the Men's SP at Skate America? I thought the men's costumes have to have sleeves - even if they are just cap sleeves.

But then again, wouldn't Rafael Arutyunyan raise an issue with the costume and demand a change if he thought Adam could get a deduction for it?

So maybe, I've asked two dumb questions here. :scratch2:

According to posters over at the SA thread, the rule was changed this season allowing sleeveless shirts/exposed shoulders.

Wisteria

Spectator
Does anyone know about throwing presents onto the ice? I'll be going to the Skate Canada event tomorrow and I have some cards I want to give to skaters but I'm not sure how. Do I just throw it onto the ice after the short programs? Is there an alternative way? Also, can someone tell me the dos and donts of skating events such as taking pictures and stuff? Please and thank you!