Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

peg

Medalist
So next time I'll just add up the GOE and move the decimal point.
That will only work for elements where the multiplier is o.7 (assuming there are seven judges scores being used). If there are 7 judges and the multiplier is 0.5, for example, it won't work

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just realized that Kaitlin Budd/Matthew Blackmer aren't going to be at U. S. Nationals. Did they split up? Is there an injury report I missed? Did they fail to qualify for Nationals?

Golden Skate had an article about them in October 2014 and I was looking forward to them pairing up again.

Matt Blackmer mini-update:
Matt Blackmer, the 2013 U.S. junior pairs champion who has just moved back to Detroit to continue his search for a new partner ...
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/01/13/106309872 (Jan 13)​

blancanieves

On the Ice
I have a question about the U.S. National Championships. Are skaters required to attend all the practice sessions available for their event?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I have a question about the U.S. National Championships. Are skaters required to attend all the practice sessions available for their event?

Not sure if it has changed, but in my experience No they are not required to attend all the practice sessions. Most years I went to Nationals the big names wouldn't show up until later on in the event. The ones who get there early and attend the practices are usually the lower ranked skaters at Sectionals that take in every tiny bit of their Nationals experience because they know it's the end of their season and may not even make it back again.

I have a question. Isn't there some rule that once you compete at Senior Worlds, you cannot return to Junior Worlds? So if Polina places fourth, she might get 4CC's but cannot do Jr.Worlds this year. Has that changed? Then again, if Mirai gets third and Polina is fourth I wouldn't be surprised if USFS chooses Polina for Sr.Worlds.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Not sure if it has changed, but in my experience No they are not required to attend all the practice sessions. Most years I went to Nationals the big names wouldn't show up until later on in the event. The ones who get there early and attend the practices are usually the lower ranked skaters at Sectionals that take in every tiny bit of their Nationals experience because they know it's the end of their season and may not even make it back again.

I have a question. Isn't there some rule that once you compete at Senior Worlds, you cannot return to Junior Worlds? So if Polina places fourth, she might get 4CC's but cannot do Jr.Worlds this year. Has that changed? Then again, if Mirai gets third and Polina is fourth I wouldn't be surprised if USFS chooses Polina for Sr.Worlds.

According to Wikipedia:The term "Junior" in ISU competition refers to age, not skill level. Skaters may remain age-eligible for Junior Worlds even after competing nationally and internationally at the senior level.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There are quite a few skaters who have done so -- or, more to the point, gone to Junior Worlds after their first or subsequent trips to Worlds.

I remember reading recently about a proposed rule change that would limit skaters eligibility to skate junior after having skated in senior events. I don't remember whether it passed or what the specific provisions were. Would have to research.

So its possible that there are restrictions now that were not in place a couple years ago. If there is any such restriction, it is new.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There are quite a few skaters who have done so -- or, more to the point, gone to Junior Worlds after their first or subsequent trips to Worlds.

I remember reading recently about a proposed rule change that would limit skaters eligibility to skate junior after having skated in senior events. I don't remember whether it passed or what the specific provisions were. Would have to research.

So its possible that there are restrictions now that were not in place a couple years ago. If there is any such restriction, it is new.

From what I can piece together:

The proposal (from the ISU Council) was on the final agenda of the 54th ISU Congress in 2012:
d) A Skater who is still within the Junior range of age, but has participated at least twice in ISU Events per Rule 107, paragraphs 1, 2, 6 and 7 cannot any longer participate in any Junior International Competition or ISU Junior Championships.
http://static.isu.org/media/104744/congress-2012-final-agenda.pdf (see p. 28 of the 138-page agenda for the Congress)​

BUT ... when the key decisions from the 54th Congress were published in June 2012, nothing was said about the proposal. So I guess(??) the proposal did not pass??

(Over at FSU, His Weirness had posted some good bkgd on the proposal.)

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker

Yeah, I actually don't think they are *required* to attend any of the practice sessions, but quite obviously most of them choose to attend the ones they are in town for. It's not uncommon though for some skaters even to miss one right before the competition if they are sore, not feeling well, whatever.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Why do Anna Pogorilaya and Elena Radionova do 2 double axels? They do it very poorley when they both could easily substitute it for triple toes and sals

Why do Anna Pogorilaya and Elena Radionova do 2 double axels? They do it very poorley when they both could easily substitute it for triple toes and sals

The Zayak rules prevent them from doing any more triple jumps. Both of them already do two 3Lz's and two 3Lo's, plus one of all the others. If they did another triple jump that would be three different kinds of triple jumps repeated, which is not allowed.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
The Zayak rules prevent them from doing any more triple jumps. Both of them already do two 3Lz's and two 3Lo's, plus one of all the others. If they did another triple jump that would be three different kinds of triple jumps repeated, which is not allowed.

So what you're saying Is that you can only repeat 2 kinds of triple jumps?? And if you repeat a jump without doing it in combo, you only get 70% of the value. Why don't both of them add a double toe to the end of on of their axels instead of their Lutz or loop??

Krunchii

Record Breaker
So what you're saying Is that you can only repeat 2 kinds of triple jumps?? And if you repeat a jump without doing it in combo, you only get 70% of the value. Why don't both of them add a double toe to the end of on of their axels instead of their Lutz or loop??

When you repeat 2 kinds of triple jumps, they must be both in a combination or one in combination and one as a single jump, you can't do them both as a single jump

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
This is a very unimportant question, but why do people say "Shin Amano hates Mao Asada", etc.? I think I missed something along the way. Lol

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
This is a very unimportant question, but why do people say "Shin Amano hates Mao Asada", etc.? I think I missed something along the way. Lol

I think he's the technical caller who has a very strong tendency to downgrade her triple axel in competition.

altuixde

On the Ice
What is the Action Shot Challenge? Lots of figure skaters are posting photos for this challenge, but (as far as I know) none of them have explained what it's about.