Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 76 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can anyone help me with the shortest gap in height in pairs? Usually I can see that male parter is over 17cm taller than his female partner. Is there any top pair that was very successful with just about 10-15cm apart?

Junstella

Rinkside
Having said about tano, can we expect any 'Zayak rule' for tano in future?

Not only how many times they do, but you know...some tano jumpers couldn't stretch their arms above their head, so it's not always look beautiful:disapp:

gkelly

Record Breaker
There's been a whole thread on the topic recently: Overuse of tano jump

It wouldn't be easy to put an official limit on them, on any variation that affects GOE, because they're not called or counted by the tech panel. They just figure into the judges' evaluation of how well the jump was done, in conjunction with all the other positive and negative aspects of the jump. And each judge makes the determination for each jump separately. There isn't a way of keeping track to officially limit them.

All I can think of would be a written guideline to judges not to reward difficult variations that are done poorly or on jumps that are done poorly (which would probably just be putting in writing the way most judges already consider them), and to consider the variety or lack thereof in jump variations when assessing Choreography.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there any way to incorporate an Ina Bauer into a SP? Does anyone do it? The only reason I can think of is for a difficult entry into a 2a. It's my understanding that an Ina Bauer only scores points thru ChSeq which I don't think is allowed in the Sp.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Is there any way to incorporate an Ina Bauer into a SP? Does anyone do it? The only reason I can think of is for a difficult entry into a 2a. It's my understanding that an Ina Bauer only scores points thru ChSeq which I don't think is allowed in the Sp.
You can do one as part of your choreography/transitions. It wouldn't count toward the first mark, but it should count toward the second, right?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can do one as part of your choreography/transitions. It wouldn't count toward the first mark, but it should count toward the second, right?

So if you are in the last group it would be worth more :laugh:

Can anyone help me with the shortest gap in height in pairs? Usually I can see that male parter is over 17cm taller than his female partner. Is there any top pair that was very successful with just about 10-15cm apart?

Randy Gardner was about 10 cm taller than Tai Babilonia (1979 world champions). Their coach John Nicks had to come up with ways to work around it. For that matter, I'm not sure how much taller Nicks was than his sister back in the 1950s.

The brother and sister team of Danielle and Steve Hartsell had about a 12 cm gap. Plus, she had an ample figure for a pairs skater. They won the 1999 U.S. title.

http://www.catslair.com/skating/2001/nationals/pics/sr/pairs/Hartsell1.jpg

Scovies

Final Flight

Sui/Han's had a sizable height difference as juniors, but she's grown quite a bit taller and they look pretty close in height now. I can't find any updated numbers for their heights, though.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Is there a site (or part of this site) that lets you search by coaches to see that skaters are in their stable? Do we think that might be useful and/or interesting to have?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there a site (or part of this site) that lets you search by coaches to see that skaters are in their stable? Do we think that might be useful and/or interesting to have?

If you don't need something absolutely exhaustive:

For skaters with ISU and/or icenetwork bios, it would not take superhuman effort to use a search engine to create some pretty good lists by coach. (Manual checking would be necessary to weed out those for whom the coaching relationship has ended.)

For Google, these search terms will work (along with the coach's name, of course):

site:web.icenetwork.com/skaters/

site:.isuresults.com/bios​

Playing around with the coaching data on the statsonice site also could be helpful. Parts of it require a paid membership; parts of it are free. The site still is quite new, and I would imagine that data are being added all the time.
e.g., https://statsonice.com/coach/aaron/lowe/ (includes coach and choreographer data)​

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

For Russian coaches, you can use FSkate.ru (with Google Translator, if needed). As an example, here is Evgeni Rukavitsin's page which lists his current skaters and previous ones as well. Click on the letter of the alphabet at the top to find who you are looking for.

I don't know if such a site exists for other countries, unfortunately.

peg

Medalist

Thanks! I'd wondered the same thing.

And on a related note, something I've wanted to ask for quite some time:

Could some of our native Russian speakers tell me which syllable is emphasized in each skaters name so I know how to pronounce them (especially the names with O's. I realized during the Olympics that I was pronouncing Voloshozar and Sotnikova all wrong. Can you help me out with some of the others? Thanks!

Last edited: