Reality Check? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Reality Check?

Illusiadude

Rinkside
Great doubles (sal and loop - the other ones not shown). They are very clean and absolutely no question on rotation. Technique seems to be quite OK too. If you are actually willing to drop everything and do skating 24/7 with a private coach and private off ice coach (due to the strain this will put on your body), I could see triples being a possibility. But the field is not that shallow in the US and you would need to be working on quads to be competitive, for which it might be indeed too late. But if you can get the 2A consistent and land beautiful triples in the next 2 years you might make it *realistically* to Jr. Nationals (and that's not even a given - and I forget, is there a max. age cutoff for juniors?). But I think you would have to train 24/7.

Now my two cents. To be honest if I were you I would consider doing collegiate competitions (they have levels up to Senior where you'd be competing against other college-aged skaters who are landing all their doubles and maybe occasionally triples!) or the ISU adult competitions (I think those are 21+??) where you'd be winning everything but with less strain on yourself and your lifestyle than if you try to go the Jr. championships route. In fact a lot of skaters who've been skating all their life compete in the Jr-Sr levels of the collegiate competitions, so it would be a very cool accomplishment for anyone who has started as an adult to win these competitions -- considering sometimes even college-aged national-level Sr. skaters take part in them occasionally!

That’s definitely something to think about then! I just got out of my first private lesson and I was able to ask about the testing process as well. She advised that I practice the patterns for pre-pre to juvenile after I mount and transition into my Gold Seals so I can test straight through them all in one day. You just gave me so much hope and motivation to work even harder. At this time, 24/7 skating is not feasible as I’m a Nursing student, BUT I am definitely able increase my on-ice time.

As for the technique discrepancies that everyone has warned me about, you were right. But it was more an issue of slowing down since I gain too much speed and lose control when doing patterns that require crossovers and power stroking. I also found out that my rocker is indeed too flat making my spins wobble when I pick up speed.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! By all means, keep it coming!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She advised that I practice the patterns for pre-pre to juvenile after I mount and transition into my Gold Seals so I can test straight through them all in one day.

Surprised this was suggested. Testing more than two levels on one day is not a good idea. Factoring in nerves, warmups etc, you will likely be fatigued after the first two tests. I don't think doing 4 is a good idea. More than that, you may not be allowed to do four in one day. You can't hog all of the ice time on the test day; other skaters will be wanting to test too.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
Surprised this was suggested. Testing more than two levels on one day is not a good idea. Factoring in nerves, warmups etc, you will likely be fatigued after the first two tests. I don't think doing 4 is a good idea. More than that, you may not be allowed to do four in one day. You can't hog all of the ice time on the test day; other skaters will be wanting to test too.

Well if fatigue is the issue then I guess I’ll need work on improving my stamina or splitting into 2 sessions. As for taking all of the tests in one go, I’m just relaying what my coach said I should do (huh, I like the sound of that... “my coach” [emoji5]). But either way, I’ll take that into consideration.

jf12

Final Flight

I think 2 and 2 is a better idea. It’s easy to even get confused on what move is on what test if you’re taking 4, plus nerves never having tested anything before.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
I think 2 and 2 is a better idea. It’s easy to even get confused on what move is on what test if you’re taking 4, plus nerves never having tested anything before.

I see what you mean. What do you think about doing 2 moves one day, and then 1 moves and 1 freestyle another day?

jf12

Final Flight
Yes, that's a good idea - You could do 2 moves and 1 freestyle on the first one. That one would be pretty easy and a good intro to testing. Then going forward you could do one of each or 2 of one and 1 of the other, depending on how ready you are.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
Yes, that's a good idea - You could do 2 moves and 1 freestyle on the first one. That one would be pretty easy and a good intro to testing. Then going forward you could do one of each or 2 of one and 1 of the other, depending on how ready you are.

Awesome thanks! Good to know my options. [emoji5]
If anyone wants to see a few of my doubles, feel free to PM. I’d rather not post it completely publicly on here.

tothepointe

On the Ice
You've been skating two years and self-taught yourself up to a double but up until now you haven't had the budget for private lessons or freestyle ice. So I'm assuming money IS a concern. To skate at the level your hoping to it's going to involve a lot more money than you've currently been spending. At least $10k a year but probably much much more.

I only skate 5 sessions a week and take two lessons and I'm at the $7500 per year mark at this point once I add in sharpening and skates and ONE competition.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
You've been skating two years and self-taught yourself up to a double but up until now you haven't had the budget for private lessons or freestyle ice. So I'm assuming money IS a concern. To skate at the level your hoping to it's going to involve a lot more money than you've currently been spending. At least $10k a year but probably much much more.

I only skate 5 sessions a week and take two lessons and I'm at the $7500 per year mark at this point once I add in sharpening and skates and ONE competition.

I see. Well, I have custom SP-Teri boots (George Spiteri offered to reinforce them next year before they wear down to extend their life by another year or 2) and I just purchased JW Gold Seal Revs to replace my MK Pro Revs (which I mistakenly sharpened at a hockey proshop [emoji25]). I’m just spending my money more wisely where I can.

As for ice time, I may start freestyle ice next month, but so far, the rink we use for public sessions has better ice and is usually not too crowded when I skate (this is based off of what I’ve observed over the past year and the time I spent working at the rink). Also, public session is much cheaper and the one I normally skate on runs for about 3.5 hours so it’s much more economical that way. My coach offered me a very generous lesson fee discount for up until I graduate as well.

How much does it typically cost to test and/or to compete. Also, am I required to wear a “costume” to test? I see youtube videos of people wearing them for tests, but they’re typically younger skaters.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
I see. Well, I have custom SP-Teri boots (George Spiteri offered to reinforce them next year before they wear down to extend their life by another year or 2) and I just purchased JW Gold Seal Revs to replace my MK Pro Revs (which I mistakenly sharpened at a hockey proshop [emoji25]). I’m just spending my money more wisely where I can.

As for ice time, I may start freestyle ice next month, but so far, the rink we use for public sessions has better ice and is usually not too crowded when I skate (this is based off of what I’ve observed over the past year and the time I spent working at the rink). Also, public session is much cheaper and the one I normally skate on runs for about 3.5 hours so it’s much more economical that way. My coach offered me a very generous lesson fee discount for up until I graduate as well.

How much does it typically cost to test and/or to compete. Also, am I required to wear a “costume” to test? I see youtube videos of people wearing them for tests, but they’re typically younger skaters.

EDIT: the reason I’ve waited so long to get lessons and use freestyle ice was because I was just having fun with skating this past year. I just recently decided I wanted skate more seriously, hence my request for advices.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

You really don't need blades that advanced..

Illusiadude

Rinkside
You really don't need blades that advanced..

I need to replace my blades and I wanted them.
So I got them. End of story.

But, since they’ve “too advanced” for me, I also got them per my coach’s and my boot manufacturer’s recommendations since I’m working on double axels. And either way, I’m told that the equipment doesn’t make the skater, so... I didn’t see a reason to not get them. Plus, at the rate I’m learning, I’m going to need them soon and 350 for MK Pros and 700 for Gold Seals in the span of a year or two is kind of stupid.

I’m sure you see a lot of skaters (kids and adults) who are wearing Edea Pianos with engraved/gold-plated Gold Seal Revs and working on waltz jumps, but that’s none of my business. [emoji854]

tothepointe

On the Ice

Many ice rinks will not let you train at the level you want to train on a public session. One of major rinks I skate at will not allow anything above an axel on public ice and if you have tested above preliminary you can not use a public session for practice at all. Rinks want their freestyle money.

If you were 12/13 I would give you a more positive reply since at that age your destiny is still bound by your parents to a certain extent.

But if you want to train at the level your saying at 19 you better move fast now and that will take money.

But there is no shame with with being an adult skater and competing at that level. That is very achieveable and you'd be very competitive.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
Many ice rinks will not let you train at the level you want to train on a public session. One of major rinks I skate at will not allow anything above an axel on public ice and if you have tested above preliminary you can not use a public session for practice at all. Rinks want their freestyle money.

If you were 12/13 I would give you a more positive reply since at that age your destiny is still bound by your parents to a certain extent.

But if you want to train at the level your saying at 19 you better move fast now and that will take money.

But there is no shame with with being an adult skater and competing at that level. That is very achieveable and you'd be very competitive.

Fortunately, my rink allows it. [emoji5] During my time as a skate guard with them last year, we had no policy against freestyle skating unless some random customer was attempting a backflip or something to that extent. But even so, I will start doing freestyle ice for my lessons as well as to get more ice time before school.

Thank you for the insight, I’ll definitely look into adult skating. There’s no shame at all. But since I just started private coaching, I’ll wait and see where it can take me.

AndreaRu

On the Ice
I kind of feel like we're being punked. Something just doesn't add up. I mean, if this all added up, then we'd be talking to one of the most naturally talented skaters pretty much ever. The kind of progress that is being talked about here is just not on my spectrum. I'm having a hard time with it and I would very much like to understand how one could possibly be so, so far outside of the realm of the expected.

A lot of people make wild claims about their skating here without backing them up, but this is the wildest I've seen. So it's really caught my interest more than most.

Illusiadude

Rinkside
I kind of feel like we're being punked. Something just doesn't add up. I mean, if this all added up, then we'd be talking to one of the most naturally talented skaters pretty much ever. The kind of progress that is being talked about here is just not on my spectrum. I'm having a hard time with it and I would very much like to understand how one could possibly be so, so far outside of the realm of the expected.

A lot of people make wild claims about their skating here without backing them up, but this is the wildest I've seen. So it's really caught my interest more than most.

Go ahead and send me a PM! You’re not the first skeptic [emoji28]