Renee Roca Previews Worlds Dance | Golden Skate

Renee Roca Previews Worlds Dance

qwerty

On the Ice
Kudos to TSL and Renee Roca on a phenomenal dance preview! This and John Coughlin's preview were my favorites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4Ep9437sQ&feature=youtu.be

I especially liked listening to Roca's insights. She is articulate, knowledgeable, and very current. Nice to hear some of the inside scoop on the short dance patterns.

If you didn't like Christine Brennan's preview, this one is probably more palatable ;)

Giselle

Medalist
Thanks for posting! I still prefer John & the Pairs preview. This one is only 37 min long and they start to talk about the current team only 14 min into it.

They talk about next year's SD a little. It's blues and Hip-hop (or Swing). Mention that ISU is trying to appeal to a younger audience by chosing Hip-Hop. I am not sure it will be effective really. This year they were very clear that they wanted Ballroom Waltzs for the SD and IMHO it doesn't get more old-fashioned than that.
I had to laugh when Jenny asked her if she thinks Tessa & Scott will be in the mix next year. Like there's any doubt about that? Of course they will be in the mix!

Renee Roca's take on the top teams was very interesting! I wished this part (the actual preview) was longer.

Weathergal

Medalist
Really enjoyed this interview--much more so than the Phil Hersh interview. Don't get me wrong--I did like watching Phil, even if I didn't always agree with him. But I found Renee very personable and gracious, and, of course, she brings the added perspective of a former skater and current choreographer that Phil doesn't have. Again respect to Phil, but I would say that even if that interview wasn't your cup of tea, you should check this one out.

I wouldn't have minded if they talked about the current Worlds field a little longer, but I actually found the section where she talked about Gorsha and shared her general thoughts on ice dance really interesting.

I haven't watched the Christine Brennan (deep breath) or John Coughlin interviews yet but would like to.

KKonas

Medalist
Really enjoyed this interview--much more so than the Phil Hersh interview. Don't get me wrong--I did like watching Phil, even if I didn't always agree with him. But I found Renee very personable and gracious, and, of course, she brings the added perspective of a former skater and current choreographer that Phil doesn't have. Again respect to Phil, but I would say that even if that interview wasn't your cup of tea, you should check this one out.

I wouldn't have minded if they talked about the current Worlds field a little longer, but I actually found the section where she talked about Gorsha and shared her general thoughts on ice dance really interesting.

I haven't watched the Christine Brennan (deep breath) or John Coughlin interviews yet but would like to.

Also enjoyed Roca's interview and update on what she has been doing and also on her former partner Gorsha Sur. Would like to hear her overall review of the dance competition at Worlds as she plans to attend this year in Boston.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I love that she mentioned how difficult it is to gauge how fast a skater is from TV or Video. I've said it for years and I'll say it again. If you like skating on TV, you'll be in awe when you go to your first live competition. It doesn't have to be Worlds or Nationals. I've been to Skate America and Skate Canada and they were both so exciting. Not to mention, they are commercial and Tara free.....;)

I kept thinking to myself. Where have I seen this woman before? Then it hit me. She's Jill Trenary's former choreographer, right?

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, Mr Rice, Renee Roca choreographed Jill Trenary's program in 1990. But Renee is a National champion herself too.

KKonas

Medalist
I kept thinking to myself. Where have I seen this woman before? Then it hit me. She's Jill Trenary's former choreographer, right?

Roca & Sur were US dance champions in 1995, placed 10th at Worlds in Birmingham, UK, and were US silver medalists in 1996 (behind Punsalan & Swallow) and placed 14th at Worlds in Edmonton, CAN

jcoates

Medalist
She also won a third national title almost a decade earlier in 1986 with Donald Adair. As a team they also won Skate America and Skate Canada in 1985 and were 6th at worlds in 86.

KKonas

Medalist
She also won a third national title almost a decade earlier in 1986 with Donald Adair. As a team they also won Skate America and Skate Canada in 1985 and were 6th at worlds in 86.

Yes, Roca & Adair won the dance title in 1986 in Long Island, NY and went to Worlds in Geneva, SWI and placed 6th behind the US silver medalists that year Suzanne Semanick & Scott Gregory, who were 5th in Geneva.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I tended to agree with about 95% of what Roca had to say. Her manner takes a little getting used to (it's sort of weirdly imperious), but I found her candor refreshing. Would love for TSL to have her back on for their recap of Worlds show.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting! I still prefer John & the Pairs preview. This one is only 37 min long and they start to talk about the current team only 14 min into it.

They talk about next year's SD a little. It's blues and Hip-hop (or Swing). Mention that ISU is trying to appeal to a younger audience by chosing Hip-Hop. I am not sure it will be effective really. This year they were very clear that they wanted Ballroom Waltzs for the SD and IMHO it doesn't get more old-fashioned than that.
I had to laugh when Jenny asked her if she thinks Tessa & Scott will be in the mix next year. Like there's any doubt about that? Of course they will be in the mix!

Renee Roca's take on the top teams was very interesting! I wished this part (the actual preview) was longer.

The ISU doing hip hop is like Broadway doing rock musicals. It's almost never rock and almost never works. I'm not holding my breath.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Great interview! I think I agreed with Roca's predictions for the world podium. Despite the locale of Boston, I really can't see two American teams winning a medal. *shrug*

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The ISU doing hip hop is like Broadway doing rock musicals. It's almost never rock and almost never works. I'm not holding my breath.

I am looking forward to seeing Lorraine and Quinn's SD next season! Hip hop should be right up their alley!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I tended to agree with about 95% of what Roca had to say. Her manner takes a little getting used to (it's sort of weirdly imperious), but I found her candor refreshing. Would love for TSL to have her back on for their recap of Worlds show.

Me too......In fact, I'd love to hear what John has to say about the pairs event as well. And not just because he's smart and dreamy..;)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I am looking forward to seeing Lorraine and Quinn's SD next season! Hip hop should be right up their alley!

They're quirky enough with very inventive choreographers that yes, I am also looking forward to seeing what they do with the rhythm. Alas, I fear though we are in for an invasion of the hip hop version of 'white boy hips.' Just saying...

rustyskater

Rinkside
I'm a little surprised that all of Jenny, Dave and Renee pick the Shibs to win gold, followed by P/C and W/P for bronze. I am rooting for the Shibs to win in front of the home crowd but I don't want to raise my expectations so high only to have them shattered in the end (a la' Michelle Kwan at the Olympics). In any case, I hope Jenny, Dave and Renee are right!

robredo40

On the Ice
I don't think the shibs will win, they are not the judges favorites and Judy Blumberg is not on the tech panel. I think the title is between the French and Canadians I don't think they will beat Weapo 2 competitions in a row.

Astrid56

Final Flight
I also don't think the Shibs will win. I can see a win for W/P and the dark horse is the team of C/B now that they have concentrated on just rehearsing their routines. I don't think P/C despite earning the highest score in FD will dominate the competition.