Repetition is key for USA's Alysa Liu | Golden Skate

Repetition is key for USA's Alysa Liu

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When USA's Alysa Liu won her first U.S national title in 2019 at age 13, the youngest U.S. ladies' national champion in history, she was still too young to compete at the ISU Junior Grand Prix (JGP) circuit for the 2018-19 season. This past year, Liu started her international career with a bang when she debuted at 2019 JGP Placid, making history again as the first American female figure skater to successfully land a quadruple jump, the Lutz. She also landed a triple Axel in the same program, thus becoming the first female skater to land both a triple Axel and quad in the same program.

"What motivates me is a lot of different skaters and myself," the two-time U.S. Champion shared. "I always want to improve myself, I just have a drive. I'm also inspired from seeing other skaters, like (Alexandra) Trusova and (Anna) Shcherbakova doing those quads. I want to keep up with them and step it up."

More...

I have been enjoying watching this skater grow over the past two season! What are your thoughts?

What a charming interview. :yes:

I had a dream about doing a triple Axel.

Me, too! (Unfortunately, I woke up and found that all I had done was fall lout of bed.)

(My sister skated for a year but at her first competition) my cousin, who is a boy, beat her, so she got very mad and quit.”

Who can blame her? Imagine the humiliation of getting beat by a boy!!!

I think that the coming season (if it happens) will be critical for Alyssa. If she can get all the way around on her triple Lutz and increase her overall speed she'll be on her way.

Scott512

Record Breaker
When USA's Alysa Liu won her first U.S national title in 2019 at age 13, the youngest U.S. ladies' national champion in history, she was still too young to compete at the ISU Junior Grand Prix (JGP) circuit for the 2018-19 season. This past year, Liu started her international career with a bang when she debuted at 2019 JGP Placid, making history again as the first American female figure skater to successfully land a quadruple jump, the Lutz. She also landed a triple Axel in the same program, thus becoming the first female skater to land both a triple Axel and quad in the same program.

"What motivates me is a lot of different skaters and myself," the two-time U.S. Champion shared. "I always want to improve myself, I just have a drive. I'm also inspired from seeing other skaters, like (Alexandra) Trusova and (Anna) Shcherbakova doing those quads. I want to keep up with them and step it up."

More...

I have been enjoying watching this skater grow over the past two season! What are your thoughts?
She should be inspired by aliona the most beautiful skater in years. That said Alysa has a very big upside and we don't know how great she can become. But the sky's the limit. The problem she has that Michelle and Tara did not have is massive Russian competition and solid Japanese competition.

macy

Record Breaker
i really love her personality. she is so level headed and self aware for a 14 year old.

i also noticed the part about her mom texting her after competitions...i thought her dad always raised her alone?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She should be inspired by aliona the most beautiful skater in years. That said Alysa has a very big upside and we don't know how great she can become. But the sky's the limit. The problem she has that Michelle and Tara did not have is massive Russian competition and solid Japanese competition.

I think while Kostornaia is a pretty skater to watch, Trusova and Shcherbakova are pushing the technical envelope. Her keeping up with Aliona is largely up to the judges (she can try to improve but is depending on them for higher PCS) but her upping and executing her technical game is on her.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm, hopefully repetition of underrotated jumps is not the key. 4Lz< if landed otherwise clean is still "worth it" of course, but her combo jumps and even sometimes the solo jumps (like 3Flip at the end of 2020 Nationals LP) are problematic too and should be receiving calls more frequently. Turning far around on the ice before taking off is not the way to jump!

Scott512

Record Breaker
i really love her personality. she is so level headed and self aware for a 14 year old.

i also noticed the part about her mom texting her after competitions...i thought her dad always raised her alone?
I know nothing about her mother other than she had a surrogate mother so I don't know if she's talking about the surrogate mother or the mother who is married to her father. I guess it really doesn't matter because Alysa seemes 4so normal and lovable.
I think while Kostornaia is a pretty skater to watch, Trusova and Shcherbakova are pushing the technical envelope. Her keeping up with Aliona is largely up to the judges (she can try to improve but is depending on them for higher PCS) but her upping and executing her technical game is on her.

You are right they are pushing the technical envelope more than a aliona. Alysa is pushing the technical envelope as well with her triple axels and quads. I give her credit for that but I want Alysa to appreciate the most beautiful skater in the world and what she brings to the table and try to incorporate some of that in her skating.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Alysa is charming in this interview. She exudes enjoyment in skating besides a healthy streak of competitiveness.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What I like about her is her level head. She never brags about herself and is always focused on improving. You can also tell that she has a healthy respect for her competitors. She is quite mature for her young age.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I think it’s wonderful that Alysa has her own thoughts, opinions and role models. I will disagree with Michelle and Tara not having solid competition. During that time the US had the strongest skaters in the world. They were each other’s main rivals, similar to what Russia has today. The US really dominated with the 6.0 system. Michelle is actually a great role model for Alysa. She was the gold standard for her time. Russians Irina Slutskaya and Maria Butryskaya were also considered Michelle’s rivals.

I can’t wait to see Alysa mature and progress. I think she will be a real contender for the Olympics if she can stay healthy and keep her jumps.