Russian Junior and Senior Test Skates | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Russian Junior and Senior Test Skates

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
That was a mixed bunch. From group 1 Gorbacheva and kulikova loved those 2. Beautiful expressive. Elizaveta has a magical quality.
Group 2,
Zinnia was fantastic and Anna was elegant and beautiful as always.
Group 3
Muraviava and Samodelinka really loved their performances. Shiryaeva absolutely loved her. Another with star quality. Maria was solid good skating skills. Rest unfortunately didn't really make an impact on me. Disappointed in the music for Adelia and Sofia A looks like she is possibly struggling with growth. Just my impression. Be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Idiote

On the Ice
I for one really like Samodelkina's Carmen, I usually loathe Carmen programs with every fiber of my being due to me frankly hating the singing, but I was extremely pleasantly surprised by this rearrangement/selection. This FS program is definitely in my top 3 of these test skates for today. Well done team Davydov !

On the other hand I'm outraged they just recycled Alina Z and Maiia's Ghost on Daria Sadkova, she's so musical she deserved better than the two pieces of garbage she got :( Wasn't much more impressed by Petrosyan's, it was cool but meh, maybe later in the season when she performs it more. As for Sofia A, well it's the same program and she's not in the best form yet, she'll be fine. Overall, I'd say we've seen better from TT ; they're clearly focusing on their seniors.

Safe for the gunshot at the end I really liked Sofia Muravyeva's program, the voiceovers are a bit much but it didn't really bother me, her skating is just so captivating and interpretative, and the music is pretty <3 With the quad she can compete for gold ! I really love this young lady.

Well done Nika for the 4 ultra-c attempts, with 3 landed ! The program isn't amazingly original, but combined with her fun SP I think the two routines are well-balanced to gently help her out of her comfort zone during the season o/

I hope team Davydov will get horrible feedback and ditch Berestovskaia's Clown. The program is just falling apart like a poorly-sewn patchwork blanket, and she deserves better. Frolova was better in the SP, same FS than last year, and while she's still elegant and polished, the music is bland and she doesn't shine the way we've seen she's capable of. Disappointed for her :'(

Gorbacheva's Firebird is cool and she skated well and clean, I hope she'll get a JGP spot.

I must confess I don't remember much of Zinina, Zhakarova and Ulyana ^^' But overall, I was disappointed by the music selections from TT, but still many good surprises and great performances from all the girls. I missed my Polina Sviridenko and Agneta Latushkina :'( I hope we'll get to see them on big stages this season.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Finally caught up.

I really, really loved Frolova and Murav’eva, both programs.

Gorbacheva’s Firebird is as cool as last year.

I guess, I might be in the minority, but I am just happy that Berestovskaya got a program with growth potential if FS and fingers crossed for her

I didn’t mind Zinina’s short, which came as a surprise to me, because I didn’t particulary favour her before, but her free wasn’t my cup of tea.

worried for all three of Samodelkina, Akatyeva and Zhilina, hopefully it’s going to come together before their JGP stages.

I liked addition of Shiryaeva in the mix too. ❤️

looks like another interesting year in junior Russian women skating had started!

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
worried for all three of Samodelkina, Akatyeva and Zhilina, hopefully it’s going to come together before their JGP stages.
Im not really worried for Sofia A as she likely will have 2 of the 3 last jgp stages and she had the same issue last season when in test skates she didnt at all look ready only to dominate the rest of the season. TT skaters started training later than the other teams as they give a month of summer vacation while other teams normally get a week or 2 max so its normal it takes them little longer to get back to form than others.
Zhilina looked fine tbh, think she is in the same sitsuation as Sasha when comes to doing 4 ultra c jumps in free mistakes and falls tend to happen but as long as she lands 2 of them or includes less quads in her free in JGP she should be fine.

Sofia S is kinda of a worrying case as she going to the 1st JGP and she has strong competition from the US and Korea a preformace like we saw in test skates will easily drop her out of the podium. Im wondering if its better to just save her for the later JGPs instead and give her more time to come back to full form.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Top 3
Zinina: big fan, didn't know her before, that opening 4t-2t in the free was a beauty. The programs are fine, especially compared to some of the others here.

Muravyova: maybe best skating skills here, very expressive, the jumps looked very solid outside the falls, but even the 4sal was a promising attempt. Not a fan of the opening voice over in the free, but the program is well choreographed, particularly the steps sequence.

Frolova: She's still very pretty, smart decision to keep the free from last season.

Bottom 3
Berestovskaya: sabotaged once again by a crappy free program, i'm so confused by the music cuts and the voice over and the sound effects. The second half has zero transitions. The jumps i'm afraid they all look underrotated, or extremely cheated. She is taller now but she still barely leaves the ice when jumping, Satoko-like jumps. The short is at least still very charming (honestly she should have kept the old free too).

Sadkova: the short despite the fall was at least entertaining, the long while skated better, it's a complete recycle of Khromykh's old free to a point it bothers me so much. I can understand reusing the piece, but the exact same cuts and even the steps sequence in the same place, and recycled movements? No. There's not even an attempt to differentiate these girls, the approach is truly factory-like.

Akatieva: definitely not her best outing, but it's still way too early to judge. The 3axel needs work, never been a fan of her jumping technique but she'll be fine, knowing the team they'll make it work so i'm not worried.

Bonus
Zhilina's costume in the short: the program is confusing but the dress is fascinating.

Samodelkina's cartwheel: very cool although slightly less impressive than Aymoz's cause both hands touched the ice.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there a video available of the last three junior Ladies FS?

Anna Frolova is so balletic and mature. She turned 16 today, so Happy birthday!

I hope this is her last season in juniors, she looks a bit ridiculous competing among 13 year olds.

Plushy seems to be busy with his juniors, so I think any discussions of him being done after Trusova left were premature.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Is there a video available of the last three junior Ladies FS?

Anna Frolova is so balletic and mature. She turned 16 today, so Happy birthday!

I hope this is her last season in juniors, she looks a bit ridiculous competing among 13 year olds.

Plushy seems to be busy with his juniors, so I think any discussions of him being done after Trusova left were premature.

The first three videos

Novalis

Record Breaker

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

hanca

Record Breaker
Wow, Zhilina has attempted 3A in the SP, 3A and three quads in the FS and no one seems to be even mentioning this as an achievement from a junior lady. Even Trusova did not try this as a junior -in her first junior year Trusova managed two quads and no triple axel, and that was only at the end of the season, definitely not at the test skates, after summer holidays.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I noticed that Gorbacheva’s coach commented that Alina and their team just went to France for a training camp from July 16 to August 1st. So, I am hoping it’s a sign that Russian figure skaters are going to be able to compete in JGP as some sort of exception to quarantine rule.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Im not really worried for Sofia A as she likely will have 2 of the 3 last jgp stages and she had the same issue last season when in test skates she didnt at all look ready only to dominate the rest of the season. TT skaters started training later than the other teams as they give a month of summer vacation while other teams normally get a week or 2 max so its normal it takes them little longer to get back to form than others.
Zhilina looked fine tbh, think she is in the same sitsuation as Sasha when comes to doing 4 ultra c jumps in free mistakes and falls tend to happen but as long as she lands 2 of them or includes less quads in her free in JGP she should be fine.

Sofia S is kinda of a worrying case as she going to the 1st JGP and she has strong competition from the US and Korea a preformace like we saw in test skates will easily drop her out of the podium. Im wondering if its better to just save her for the later JGPs instead and give her more time to come back to full form.
Agree. Last season at jr test skates Team Plush looked better but guess who got the last laugh. And I am worried that Zhilina doing so many big elements this early means that she may burn out, physically and mentally later in the season

Iniyaa

Rinkside
Agree. Last season at jr test skates Team Plush looked better but guess who got the last laugh. And I am worried that Zhilina doing so many big elements this early means that she may burn out, physically and mentally later in the season
I think last year was unusual with all covid thing going on. And there was so much pressure on nika. I think this year is going to be good for her and AoP, We have to wait and see who gets the last laugh.

icetug

Medalist
Will today's pairs' test skates be shown in the TV/Internet too? I'd be grateful for a link :)