Sakamoto: "I am very satisfied" | Golden Skate

Sakamoto: "I am very satisfied"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sakamoto, who was second after the short program, delivered a flawless routine to music from Amélie which was highlighted by seven triple jumps along with level four footwork and strong spins. The 2018 Japanese silver medalist earned positive grades of execution (GOE) on all of her elements to earn a new personal best of 142.87.
The skater, who trains in the Hyōgo Prefecture, recalled doing clean programs at this arena last season when she took the bronze at the 2017 World Junior Championships.
“Today I am very satisfied with my performance,” said the 17-year-old. “This is my third time in Taiwan.”
The teenager was also happy that teammate Mihara was there. “She won last year and I knew she would show her perfect ability,” said Sakamoto. “I did not want to lose to her, but I am happy that we both showed a perfect performance.”
“In the short program, the steps were not so good and in the free skating the spins were not so good,” acknowledged the 2017 Skate America silver medalist regarding her performances. “Until nationals, I practiced a lot, but since 2018 had started, I couldn’t practice them that much and I think that was the reason for today’s performance. Before the start of the season, I practiced little by little to build up, and then I practiced a lot before the Four Continents and Olympics to build my confidence.”

More...

Very strong outing at this event!

Alifyre

On the Ice
I love how supportive she is of Mai, she's such a good soul. I really have been taken with Kaori since I first saw her at Rostelecom this year, her skating is so smooth and her jumps are so effortless! I think people will be really enchanted by this girl with the sunny personality at the Olympics, and this is the perfect confidence boost she needs going into the games!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Gosh I love Kaori so much!! Beautiful skating, effortless jumps, and a personality and heart of gold. Her friendship with Mai is so refreshing and better than what a lot of older sports rivals have! Best of luck in Korea, Kaori-chan!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I've been watching her since her in juniors and I'm glad for her successful transformation in seniors and first major event title. :clap:

When she smiles (capable of melting everything :luv17:), her cute dimples are very noticeable. However during her long junior days, I saw them rarely because she had struggled a lot with her consistency. Her surge into the top was finally made last season in her last stay as a junior but turning to senior didn't guarantee anything because the field is so tough even for top senior skaters every year.

Some said she is a Cinderella and a dark horse out of nowhere, but her current status has been built gradually and steadily by herself. She deserves the sweet victory. So for now, I just look forward to seeing her at the Olympics. :hap10: