Sarah Hughes | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes

Sneaka

Rinkside
I cannot stand her commentary! I can understand every other word that she says. Is it me, but I have not enjoyed her commentary at all .... Goodbye Sarah what's her name.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I agree Sneaka. She is not articulate at all, which was surprising considering all the hype of her Ivy League education. She sounded better twelve years ago. NBC can lose her, it's no big loss.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She's always talked through her nose (for lack of a better description) so it's painful to listen to (my eyes literally water when she talks).

Haven't watched any of her stuff during the Olys, doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

travelbug

Rinkside
There was a post the other day saying Emily is also there now. Any idea why she's also in Sochi? Is she going to get involved somehow also?

I've not seen (heard?) Sarah do her thing for this Olympics, but when I've seen her in the past I appreciate seems like a real person. Unlike TL... I've end up waiting to watch skating on NBC later so I don't usually hear TR/JW. Maybe it's more than I'm glad I don't watch earlier b/c the strange work Tara's had done on her face is very distracting to me. (I realize that's petty)

But I do think it's odd that the 8-11 pm skating events - which are obviously very delayed - have entirely different commentators. I did hear TL and JW the other day when I did watch it live (ish?) but then it was so weird to watch it again later with different commentating.

Since they're clearly trying to draw a younger audience in (thus TJ, LW, Sarah doing her thing, etc. why wouldn't they put someone (not saying it should or needs to be Sarah) but with all the younger folks they're recruiting to appeal to a particular audience, I think it odd they've not at least put a younger person the nightly broadcast of skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There was a post the other day saying Emily is also there now. Any idea why she's also in Sochi? Is she going to get involved somehow also?

Last I read, Emily Hughes had a permanent full-time position working for the IOC -- and was expecting to be in Sochi in that capacity.

Sarah Hughes is a U.S.-based member of NBC's Olympic team, AFAIK. The plan all along was for her online stuff to originate from NBC's Olympic HQ in Connecticut, IIRC -- and not for her to be on the ground in Sochi. (But the truth is that I have not seen any of it. Did NBC change its mind and send her to Sochi at the last minute???)

MaureenKB

Rinkside
I am not watching any of the on-line analysis, but at Nationals they showed the Ice Desk during breaks in skating. Sarah mumbles and is very hard to understand. I know the media wants former skaters to attract an audience but they should give all of these athletes lessons in public speaking. There is also too much unnecessary chatter and references to themselves.

louisa05

Final Flight

I've not seen (heard?) Sarah do her thing for this Olympics, but when I've seen her in the past I appreciate seems like a real person. Unlike TL... I've end up waiting to watch skating on NBC later so I don't usually hear TR/JW. Maybe it's more than I'm glad I don't watch earlier b/c the strange work Tara's had done on her face is very distracting to me. (I realize that's petty)

But I do think it's odd that the 8-11 pm skating events - which are obviously very delayed - have entirely different commentators. I did hear TL and JW the other day when I did watch it live (ish?) but then it was so weird to watch it again later with different commentating.

Since they're clearly trying to draw a younger audience in (thus TJ, LW, Sarah doing her thing, etc. why wouldn't they put someone (not saying it should or needs to be Sarah) but with all the younger folks they're recruiting to appeal to a particular audience, I think it odd they've not at least put a younger person the nightly broadcast of skating.

All people are real people. Money, fame, body type, etc...none of that makes you fake or not a person.

slider11

Medalist
Must agree that Sarah Hughes is difficult to understand and her comments are disjointed. It is very peculiar with her Ivy League, brain-iac background. I have enjoyed Johnny and Tara especially with Terry Gannon as the "chaperone" :) They bring a fun, spontaneous element to skating. Scott, Sandra and Tom are old-school but not the charming old school or Dick button and Peggy Fleming. ahhhh, the good old days.

MaureenKB

Rinkside
I don't think that attending an Ivy League school has anything to do with speaking or presentation skills. You can attend a public speaking program and find opportunities to practice.

Manitou

Medalist
Still million times better than Navratilova. And you want develop a real toothache then listen to her commentary...

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Girl needs to annunciate. I'm sure she's very smart and educated but public speaking is not her forte. She should take a class or two or find a better use for her talents (of which I am sure there are many). I cringe when she speaks, which is a pity, because she seems quite nice.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Still million times better than Navratilova. And you want develop a real toothache then listen to her commentary...

Seriously? I find Martina Navratilova one of the more compelling commentators. She learned English in her 20s and frankly has more to say and does it better than just about anyone I can think of. I turn everything else off when Martina speaks because she is THAT good. Oh well, different strokes...