Scott Moir to take Head Coach position at new I.AM campus | Golden Skate

Scott Moir to take Head Coach position at new I.AM campus

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press Release (Ice Academy of Montréal):

We are very excited to announce today the opening of a new Ice Academy of Montréal campus in partnership with Scott Moir.

As of today Scott and his team are operating under the I.AM flag.

This new venture is enabling I.AM to expand its horizon and host more passionate Skaters under the I.AM umbrella.

On September 3rd 2019 the skating school founded by Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon and Romain Haguenauer launched as the Ice Academy of Montréal and established its ambition to advance the understanding and appeal of Ice Dance globally.

The creation of the Ice Academy of Montréal signified the centre’s commitment to the highest levels of coaching in Ice Dance. Its abbreviation I.AM still reflects the commitment to furthering the sport of Ice Dance through a holistic development of individuals as athletes and as people.

I.AM had also committed to the intention to build further coaching capacity and expansion of its programming - and today I.AM is realizing this commitment.

Scott Moir - two-time and reigning Olympic Ice Dance Champion (with Tessa Virtue), and former student of the Ice Academy of Montreal will be leading the team of professional coaches at the new Ice Academy of Montreal campus in the position of Head Coach. Simultaneously he will develop the I.AM branch as Managing Director.

Haguenauer about the new partnership: “We are absolutely delighted to be partnering with Scott. An Ice Academy of Montreal scholar himself and an aspiring World-class coach, we believe he is the perfect addition to the I.AM team.”

About his new career as a coach Moir says: “I have always been extremely passionate about figure skating… Now that my competitive career is done, I am looking forward to giving young local, Canadian and, hopefully soon, international skaters, the opportunity to reach their potential at a World-class skating academy. As a coach, I am committed to not only developing well-rounded athletes but also good human beings. For some, sport is just a short chapter of their lives so I am excited to help athletes develop many life skills that they can take with them on their next chapter.”

About his experience and aspirations with I.AM Moir says: “For me, training at I.AM for two years was a dream come true. The environment was truly spectacular. Not only does it provide you with a platform to allow you to reach your potential as athlete but I.AM has also created an environment where all athletes thrive personally, as individuals. Because of our team at I.AM we were able to achieve our goals at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics by winning our second Olympic title and recapture our love for the craft of figure skating. Canada is on the map being home to the best ice dance school in the World - I look forward to continuing and building on that in southwestern Ontario.”

Programming at I.AM’s second location will include full-time instruction and (hopefully soon) short seminars, with strong connection to community programming. Integral to programming delivery will be the sharing and collaboration between the two I.AM campuses on all levels - coaching, choreography and other instructional resources.

The Ice Academy of Montréal’s second campus is being built on I.AM’s shared approach to achieving personal best in a supportive and safe-sport environment.

I am always interested to see whether exceptional athletes turn out to be good coaches. Sometimes it seems like those with the most natural talent themselves don't really know how to teach others who don't catch on so intuitively.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am always interested to see whether exceptional athletes turn out to be good coaches. Sometimes it seems like those with the most natural talent themselves don't really know how to teach others who don't catch on so intuitively.
Moir is an excellent coach and choreographer, you can say coaching is "in his veins" and his students are very lucky. Many elite skaters go on to become wonderful coaches and choreographers.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Here's an article with more information, including some interesting insight into his and Tessa's diverging interests: https://ottawasun.com/sports/olympi...g2G1fqvOZHxCzvnxFW-hy7uAbrxx_yi7QnTa0vVPkpZpg
An eternal passion for skating seems to run in the Moir family :) This reminds me of a sweet interview from Scott's mum Alma (who coached the Western Uni varsity team for many years), especially where she talks about trying to help the ex-competitive university students keep skating as a part of their life.

Glad Scott will be staying within the skating world and contributing as a coach!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is very interesting. But having two OGM does not make a good coach. necessarily. I like Scott and wish him wlll but he is pretty junior as a coach. A good competitior does not necesarily make a great coach; I hope he has a good technician and choreographer working with him. Maybe he cold collaborate with Klimova and Ponomarenko? He did not get the endorsements that Tessa gt so here's hoping but I would want someone more experienced if I was top contender or someoen wh was extremely innovative which Scott has yet to establish.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is very interesting. But having two OGM does not make a good coach. necessarily. I like Scott and wish him wlll but he is pretty junior as a coach. A good competitior does not necesarily make a great coach; I hope he has a good technician and choreographer working with him. Maybe he cold collaborate with Klimova and Ponomarenko? He did not get the endorsements that Tessa gt so here's hoping but I would want someone more experienced if I was top contender or someoen wh was extremely innovative which Scott has yet to establish.
I admit I have some reservations too. But he does talk in the article about how he knows he's brand-new and is working hard to learn everything he can. I think someone who describes himself as "caught the bug" for coaching and watching students progress, and having sleepless nights because he's afraid he'll let them down is likely to wind up being a very competent coach.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder how Scott is doing. I know he has the credentials as to star power but coaching. I was hoping someone from the team with a bit more experience would help Scott out. I hope he is happy. I don't think he or al ot o skater are giving up much on shows right now as in NA shows like most s ports are non existent.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please God let my babies move there. They’re lost in the crowd at the main campus.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wonder how Scott is doing. I know he has the credentials as to star power but coaching. I was hoping someone from the team with a bit more experience would help Scott out. I hope he is happy. I don't think he or al ot o skater are giving up much on shows right now as in NA shows like most s ports are non existent.
Scott is just fine as a coach and choreographer. He comes from a long line of coaches in his family. Also, skaters who would normally have the income from shows are missing that money they would have had from shows, any show is money and skating is not cheap.