Second guessing new skate choice (Adult returner) | Golden Skate

Second guessing new skate choice (Adult returner)

bruingrl

Rinkside
I don't have a true answer to your question, but have just gone through a somewhat similar experience. I started back up again last month and had to get new skates to do so. My fitter gave me a choice between two skates (Jackson Freestyle and whatever is next up after that). He explained the difference between the two and what I could expect out of their lifespan and break in time, but what made the decision for me is knowing that I've been going to physical therapy for over a year for a chronic ankle sprain (thankfully not my landing leg), that I don't intend on doing anything more than a single axel, and that I can only skate once a week for the foreseeable future. I went with the Freestyles because I wanted something that would be easier to break in and not over challenge my problem ankle. I decided if I ever got to a point where I was under booted, I could reward myself with a much nicer pair of skates for getting that far.

In the meantime, I can barely skate for more than 45 minutes at a time and have to ice the swelling in my ankle and use a Therabody leg compression sleeve after each session. All this being said, I'm so glad I went with the Freestyles!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am a returning Adult skater. I skated for about 10 years as a kid and teen, but haven't skated seriously beyond the occasional outdoor recreational skate in 15 years. Before I quit I had a fairly consistent axel, a 2T and was working on 2L and 2S. I haven't actually re-started skating yet because I don't have a pair of skates that fits and refuse to skate on rentals for more than 20-30 minutes. I haven't attempted any jump over a toe loop in years or a spin above a sit, but my foundational skills are intact and I can still spin well.

For some background: I am tallish for a woman (5'9) with a broad, athletic build (~180lbs give or take), but beyond that my even bigger red flag is that I have "problem" feet and ankles. I have the classic Jackson foot with the addition of small bunions and high arches. I also had ankle surgery a year ago to fix severe instability and while my ankle is stable now it's never going to be perfect.

I went to an excellent fitter to be fitted for new skates and was given a choice between Jackson Premieres and something from the 5000 series - Elites I think? Both would need to be rapid customed to accommodate the width of my forefoot. I ended up going with the Premieres but now I am worried I should have gone with the 5000s. My reasoning was that I am not sure how long it will take for me to be jumping a lutz or above, or if I will even get there with my (landing leg) ankle issues. I fear the 5000s are going to be too aggressive for me as a fresh returner and I'm also just hesitant to spend over $1000 on skates that I may never "use" to their potential. It's possible I will just end up sticking to spins, toes/sals and MIF, but it's too early to tell.

So my question for everyone is: I still have time to amend my RC order, should I take the gamble on the 5000s or should I stick with the Premieres? My initial impulse was to start with the Premieres, see how it goes and then order something truly custom and high end once I have a better idea of my needs. Does this sound like a good plan or am I going to be badly underbooted from the start?
I mean, for the time being, you could do the premieres until you know what you will be able to do. Make sure you wear a slip on elastic ankle sleeve when skating over your landing ankle that has issues. What they should have suggested right away for you is a semi-custom/rapid custom boot called synergy. It would be more friendly to your ankles and at the top of boot, and also you can custom set a stiffness rating w/o extra charge (of the ones they offer you'd have to go with 75 b/c 60 would be too soft for you).
What blade did you choose?

Mimi2789

Rinkside
I don't have a true answer to your question, but have just gone through a somewhat similar experience. I started back up again last month and had to get new skates to do so. My fitter gave me a choice between two skates (Jackson Freestyle and whatever is next up after that). He explained the difference between the two and what I could expect out of their lifespan and break in time, but what made the decision for me is knowing that I've been going to physical therapy for over a year for a chronic ankle sprain (thankfully not my landing leg), that I don't intend on doing anything more than a single axel, and that I can only skate once a week for the foreseeable future. I went with the Freestyles because I wanted something that would be easier to break in and not over challenge my problem ankle. I decided if I ever got to a point where I was under booted, I could reward myself with a much nicer pair of skates for getting that far.

In the meantime, I can barely skate for more than 45 minutes at a time and have to ice the swelling in my ankle and use a Therabody leg compression sleeve after each session. All this being said, I'm so glad I went with the Freestyles!
I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with related issues but its so interesting to hear from someone with similar circumstances! I am also worried about swelling, as that is something I deal with as well. I hope you can get some relief with your ankle - I've now had two surgeries and the second one (internal brace) has been a game changer.
I mean, for the time being, you could do the premieres until you know what you will be able to do. Make sure you wear a slip on elastic ankle sleeve when skating over your landing ankle that has issues. What they should have suggested right away for you is a semi-custom/rapid custom boot called synergy. It would be more friendly to your ankles and at the top of boot, and also you can custom set a stiffness rating w/o extra charge (of the ones they offer you'd have to go with 75 b/c 60 would be too soft for you).
What blade did you choose?
My ankle itself is actually very stable thanks to the surgery I had, my issue is just lingering soft tissue swelling and tenderness which is still improving every month. I will definitely get some kind of ankle sleeve to have on hand though.

I went with the Protege XP - do you think that is a good choice based on my stats? I have a fairly good understanding of boots but when it comes to blades I've always felt a bit out of my depth and generally just go with whatever the fitter says. I'm not attached at all to the proteges and would consider anything else if you have suggestions.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I'll defer to Ic3Rabbit as always, but I think you'd be better off with an MK Professional or Coronation Ace blade.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with related issues but its so interesting to hear from someone with similar circumstances! I am also worried about swelling, as that is something I deal with as well. I hope you can get some relief with your ankle - I've now had two surgeries and the second one (internal brace) has been a game changer.

My ankle itself is actually very stable thanks to the surgery I had, my issue is just lingering soft tissue swelling and tenderness which is still improving every month. I will definitely get some kind of ankle sleeve to have on hand though.

I went with the Protege XP - do you think that is a good choice based on my stats? I have a fairly good understanding of boots but when it comes to blades I've always felt a bit out of my depth and generally just go with whatever the fitter says. I'm not attached at all to the proteges and would consider anything else if you have suggestions.
Precisely what @MCsAngel2 said. MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace (Traditional, not rev).

bruingrl

Rinkside

Thank you! I hope all goes well for you too!

My PT and I are monitoring how things go each week and over the long term. It's annoying because I didn't need surgery or even have any significant tears to recover from. I just made the stupid mistake of spraining my ankle in 2020 while working out at home during quarantine (fell off a tipped plyo box), not resting and letting it heal properly, and then continuing to work out and weightlift on it for a year before going to the doctor for it. Definitely don't recommend that. Lol.

But I'm so over waiting and even my PT said I need to test the ankle out a bit. Between ballroom dancing, rock climbing, martial arts, and figure skating, (none of which I did well, but I did do them before) I figured it was safest to go back to skating. LOL.

I have good stability with any forward/back, up/down movement. It's lateral movement that causes swelling. Thankfully, skating boots give great support in this way. But this is why I'm not putting much emphasis on jumping for the moment. I'm thinking about getting a new orthopedic sports doctor though for a second opinion. You'd think after a year of consistent PT there'd be better improvement. I also just found out about one that works with local NHL teams, so hopefully they'll have a basic understanding of skating mechanics.

Did you know you'd need surgery when you injured your ankle? If not, what made you decide to go that route? Good luck to you! I'd love to hear how your journey goes!

Mimi2789

Rinkside
Thank you! I hope all goes well for you too!

My PT and I are monitoring how things go each week and over the long term. It's annoying because I didn't need surgery or even have any significant tears to recover from. I just made the stupid mistake of spraining my ankle in 2020 while working out at home during quarantine (fell off a tipped plyo box), not resting and letting it heal properly, and then continuing to work out and weightlift on it for a year before going to the doctor for it. Definitely don't recommend that. Lol.

But I'm so over waiting and even my PT said I need to test the ankle out a bit. Between ballroom dancing, rock climbing, martial arts, and figure skating, (none of which I did well, but I did do them before) I figured it was safest to go back to skating. LOL.

I have good stability with any forward/back, up/down movement. It's lateral movement that causes swelling. Thankfully, skating boots give great support in this way. But this is why I'm not putting much emphasis on jumping for the moment. I'm thinking about getting a new orthopedic sports doctor though for a second opinion. You'd think after a year of consistent PT there'd be better improvement. I also just found out about one that works with local NHL teams, so hopefully they'll have a basic understanding of skating mechanics.

Did you know you'd need surgery when you injured your ankle? If not, what made you decide to go that route? Good luck to you! I'd love to hear how your journey goes!
My issue wasn't caused by a specific injury, but rather underlying hypermobilty and joint laxity that caused me to have almost daily ankle inversions. Like you I did PT for over a year but it didn't do much to help because the issue was that the ligaments were permanently stretched out and once they get to that point you are looking at bracing and surgery as the only real options. I had a standard ligament surgery which didn't take, tried PT again, and then had this relatively new surgery called an "Arthrex internal brace" where they implant flexible fiber to keep your lateral ligaments in place. It sounds like you need to get a second opinion! I was told for years by podiatrists that I just had "chronic" tendonitis (for 10+ years?!). I finally went to a well-regarded foot & ankle ortho and he was immediately able to diagnose the true issue. If you still have swelling 2+ years after one sprain there is definitely something else going on. If you haven't already had a diagnostic dynamic ultrasound where a specialized radiologist looks at your tendons and ligaments while you move them I would request one. It's also worth getting a work up (if you haven't already) to make sure you don't have some kind of inflammatory condition that is at the root of the continued swelling.
Precisely what @MCsAngel2 said. MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace (Traditional, not rev).

What exactly is the difference between those options and what I have? I am very open to ordering something different, I'm just not super informed on the specs of different blades.

bruingrl

Rinkside
My issue wasn't caused by a specific injury, but rather underlying hypermobilty and joint laxity that caused me to have almost daily ankle inversions. Like you I did PT for over a year but it didn't do much to help because the issue was that the ligaments were permanently stretched out and once they get to that point you are looking at bracing and surgery as the only real options. I had a standard ligament surgery which didn't take, tried PT again, and then had this relatively new surgery called an "Arthrex internal brace" where they implant flexible fiber to keep your lateral ligaments in place. It sounds like you need to get a second opinion! I was told for years by podiatrists that I just had "chronic" tendonitis (for 10+ years?!). I finally went to a well-regarded foot & ankle ortho and he was immediately able to diagnose the true issue. If you still have swelling 2+ years after one sprain there is definitely something else going on. If you haven't already had a diagnostic dynamic ultrasound where a specialized radiologist looks at your tendons and ligaments while you move them I would request one. It's also worth getting a work up (if you haven't already) to make sure you don't have some kind of inflammatory condition that is at the root of the continued swelling.

What exactly is the difference between those options and what I have? I am very open to ordering something different, I'm just not super informed on the specs of different blades.
Thank you for sharing this! It's so helpful to hear. My PT and I are also starting to wonder about some kind of inflammatory disease, but my primary care doctor has run multiple blood tests to see if I have any inflammation markers and they always come back normal. Sometimes they're in the high range of normal, but still within range. Smh.

The ultrasound is a good idea. I've never had that or an MRI done, because it was just a "simple sprain" and I can walk without any pain. I just keep getting ankle swelling and random soreness/pain after doing anything more physical than living daily life. At this point I don't even notice it until it gets really bad. Other people will randomly ask why I'm limping and I'm like, I am?? Such a pain in the butt. I'm definitely getting that second opinion now! Thanks again!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The Protege is a very basic beginner blade, ideal for first steps. If you want to progress, you'll be far better off with a Coronation Ace or MK Professional, both of which are excellent intermediate blades with proven track records. Most people never need anything different. I see that Ic3Rabbit has given you links to the specs of both so that you can compare them. I'd pick Coronation Ace over MK Pro, but that's because I skated on Aces for many years and liked them.