Shoma Uno Flutz vs Nathan/ Boyang Lutz | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno Flutz vs Nathan/ Boyang Lutz

bobbob

Medalist
I think the judging is really sending the wrong message here--they're basically telling the skaters to stop worrying about technique and do whatever you can to eke out as many rotations as possible. Shoma's quad flip has so much prerotation it is not even funny. Why are prerotations not dinged but underrotations are? And Shoma underrotates too, he just never gets called.

To be honest though, I will give Shoma some credit--I have never seen a skater with as bad jumping technique land as many difficult jumps with as much consistency as he does.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This reminds me of something I learned in one of my religious studies classes, when writing a book review -- No book is completely useless or without some good quality. In this case, this video does provide a visual means to understand technical content.

It would be nice if ISU made jump videos similar to the ones they did for their program components series. Maybe that's something you can suggest to the ISU. :yes:

My concern for Shoma's jumps is primarily is that his technique could potentially cause more injury in the long run.

I don't care about Shoma's jumps, I couldn't identify a flutz with a gun to my head, I do think Shoma's a little cutie, and I wouldn't watch a video with such an apparent bias in its introduction.

But I did smile when I read the book review instructions, although I understand and appreciate the point. I think the religious studies professor needs to talk to my favorite classics professor, aka Spousal Unit. In one of his more recent book reviews, SU wrote:

"I cannot recommend purchase or perusal of this book. It is an aberration. Avoid it".

Wonder what SU would do in a figure skating forum:laugh2:

OK, sorry for the off topic,.....:slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It would be good for him too, and for the young skaters for whom he may be an example of how to skate. He has no motivation to improve his technique, and other skaters will have no motivation to learn proper technique as there is they see the judge´s generosity.

I think he is motivated to change his technique. He's getting less flutz calls than last season and you can see (like Evgenia) that he's modifying his entry so that the flutzing isn't particularly obvious.

And just because a skater is unable to entirely fix their technique to the point of not being called anymore (see Asada's flutz, Gold's lip) doesn't mean they're setting a bad example. They're merely just trying to perform to the best of their abilities.

Watch Shoma replace his 3Z with a 4S. I bet people would then complain that he doesn't attempt a triple lutz. :laugh:

moriel

Record Breaker
I think he is motivated to change his technique. He's getting less flutz calls than last season and you can see (like Evgenia) that he's modifying his entry so that the flutzing isn't particularly obvious.

And just because a skater is unable to entirely fix their technique to the point of not being called anymore (see Asada's flutz, Gold's lip) doesn't mean they're setting a bad example. They're merely just trying to perform to the best of their abilities.

Watch Shoma replace his 3Z with a 4S. I bet people would then complain that he doesn't attempt a triple lutz. :laugh:

Well, if its a fully rotated 4S, and not a 3S + 1 rotation on ice, im fine with it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, based on this gif, you can draw almost any conclusion, from "4 full rotations in air" to "its a spin".

:confused: How is that a spin?

For reference, here is what a spin from Uno looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3XnqMwgV4#t=2m50s

Please note how in the spin, Uno stays on the ice -- as opposed to a jump, where a skater goes airborne, such as in the 4S gif above.

Also, no skater does 4 full rotations (as in, 1440 degrees while airborne) on their quads.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I think the judging is really sending the wrong message here--they're basically telling the skaters to stop worrying about technique and do whatever you can to eke out as many rotations as possible. Shoma's quad flip has so much prerotation it is not even funny. Why are prerotations not dinged but underrotations are? And Shoma underrotates too, he just never gets called.

To be honest though, I will give Shoma some credit--I have never seen a skater with as bad jumping technique land as many difficult jumps with as much consistency as he does.

Bobbob, there are jumps that are cheated by pre-rotation and there are jumps that are not, based on the takeoff edge and position of the skater's body. This is why only certain jumps (almost exclusively the toe loop) get pre-rotation calls. The toe loop is a jump that can be cheated by pre-rotation because the skater can pivot on the left toe and take off forward instead of backward, which changes the jump from a triple toe loop to a double axel (or from a single toe loop to a waltz jump). However, the other jump takeoffs don't really allow the skater to pivot from backward to forwardjust before takeoff, simply due to the physics. On a flip jump, for example, the skater's body is still backward on takeoff even if the takeoff edge curves more than it should and the skater pivots on the takeoff toe. That's because it's a left BACKWARD inside pivot, not a right FORWARD inside pivot (which is what a cheated toe loop takeoff is). Also, trying to pre-rotate a flip jump is generally going to result in a botched jump because momentum will be lost and air position will be compromised.

moriel

Record Breaker
:confused: How is that a spin?

For reference, here is what a spin from Uno looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np3XnqMwgV4#t=2m50s

Please note how in the spin, Uno stays on the ice -- as opposed to a jump, where a skater goes airborne, such as in the 4S gif above.

Also, no skater does 4 full rotations (as in, 1440 degrees while airborne) on their quads.

umm did you see the gif which you linked?
due to low quality, it is not possible to see when his skates left the ice, and when touched the ice, and how many of the needed rotations he actually did in air.
"4 full rotations in air" to "its a spin" was irony =)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, honestly i'm terrible at counting rotations, but...
From what i see on the video and the gif, he leaves the ice with his back to camera, roughly. and then he does 3.25 rotations in the air and lands.

Most skaters' salchows take offs leave the ice when the skater is facing forward (or back to the camera in this case). Here's Kim/Asada/Sotnikova all doing 3S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvmcMtodFc

skatenewbie

Medalist
yeah edge call is often overlooked. i also want to mention his cheated toe pick takeoff on toe jump except toeloop which seems fine. But aside from him, many skaters have cheated toe pick in at least 1 toe jump. Satoko flip, Pogo lutz, Mai flip, etc.