Shoma Uno | Page 228 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
OnlyUno and Hronop, yep, that vlog was by Michael Christian Martinez. Aside from the "subscribe", Shoma stroking Michael's flashy gold tie was so cute! Also funny how when Michael saw Shoma, he got a look in his eyes, as if to say to his followers "Look! There's a treat for you!" I think he did a pretty good job with saying "subscribe" while Keiji got all tongue-tied. Michael could get a job in advertising, he knew Shoma would be the highlight of that vlog, so he had him in the thumbnail as well as the title of the video. 😆

I remember that vlog! The tie stroking was so funny. I totally understood Shoma's need to stroke it, I'd have done so too, it was so shiny!

Edit: By the way, from today's FaOI Winter, Shoma had a clean performance with 4F // 4T 3A, with only the 4F being slightly tilted forward. Source.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't have any doubts that both Shoma and Yuzuru will go. It seems to me that the japanese skaters always go, not matter what happens at the Olympics. They are work horses. Whether it is for redemption or to prove again and once and for all that they're Champion material. Also it's 6 weeks after the Olympics. It's not like there is so much going on that year. When is 4CC? I guess that's the competition most will pass, although I could see Shoma doing even that. This season was insanely packed and he did so well. I don't know if Yuzuru still has the asthma problems (I think asthma never goes away?) that made him almost lose in Saitama, but he seems so much better than back in Sochi. For the three spots I think that only one of Yuzuru or Shoma would do. But they were both going on about the spots after this Worlds, so I think they also feel responsible.

Anyway, it's so great that you're going Arriba! I hope you'll tell us all about it when the time comes. And Winnie, too. Ah, you're both going to have a wonderful time and I'm so happy for you!

Lot's of praise for Winter from the japanese twitter users at Niigata this morning. It seems it's getting better and better. :)

Edit: Seems like Shoma is relegated back to the first half....don't know what happened yesterday, haha.:drama:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Did it. Broke down and bought my Worlds tickets. Only 278 days! Oh guys, I hope I don't regret this. I figure the only way Shomita won't go is if he's immobile (heaven forbid). I would assume that he and Yuzu have to go to get 3 spots -- or is that done through the Olympics? or? I'm confused. :roll9:

I think you do have to get spots for Worlds through Worlds competition. In an Olympic season, the previous Worlds also gets you Olympic spots. So I'm absolutely certain Shoma will go to Worlds, to get those spots for 2019 Worlds in Japan.

Latremu

Final Flight
…just love how Micheal Christian’s roommates care about him back stateside…alas he did not seem to have had a moomin in his childhood, lol

You're right, doesn't look like he had one. I also didn't know what it was until I saw it in the vlog, I had to Google it. What a cutely peculiar hippo/horse hybrid!

I also believe Shoma (and Yuzu) will be in Worlds, I can't see them refusing to go or not being sent there. 4CC is at the end of January (~2 weeks before Olympics), so that's a competition that will likely be missed by the top skaters.

Thank you for the updates on FAOI Niigata, MaiKatze and Xeyra! Can't wait to see the Winter program in competition!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
You're right, doesn't look like he had one. I also didn't know what it was until I saw it in the vlog, I had to Google it. What a cutely peculiar hippo/horse hybrid!

I also believe Shoma (and Yuzu) will be in Worlds, I can't see them refusing to go or not being sent there. 4CC is at the end of January (~2 weeks before Olympics), so that's a competition that will likely be missed by the top skaters.

Thank you for the updates on FAOI Niigata, MaiKatze and Xeyra! Can't wait to see the Winter program in competition!

Where is 4CC? Kanako went to 4CC before Sochi and became Four Continents Champion, the biggest title in her career. Two weeks is really short notice, but unlike Helsinki Worlds (which Shoma arrived at 10 days prior to) I think that Shoma will stay in Japan training on home ice as long as possible before Pyeongchang. So maybe there is a slight chance that he goes to 4CC, too. Yuzuru won't, that I am sure of.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Where is 4CC? Kanako went to 4CC before Sochi and became Four Continents Champion, the biggest title in her career. Two weeks is really short notice, but unlike Helsinki Worlds (which Shoma arrived at 10 days prior to) I think that Shoma will stay in Japan training on home ice as long as possible before Pyeongchang. So maybe there is a slight chance that he goes to 4CC, too. Yuzuru won't, that I am sure of.

I think the Team Event at the Olympics begins on the 9th with the short program so it's a very tight schedule but 4CC is going to be in Taipei, Taiwan, which is not too far. Maybe he wouldn't need to go back to Japan for training and find other arrangements, like he did in Helsinki?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think the Team Event at the Olympics begins on the 9th with the short program so it's a very tight schedule but 4CC is going to be in Taipei, Taiwan, which is not too far. Maybe he wouldn't need to go back to Japan for training and find other arrangements, like he did in Helsinki?

I'm not sure what the best strategy is here. One thing is that he is young, this is his first Olympic experience and maybe he wants to take it all in, opening ceremony, the whole package. But staying in Nagoya as long as possible also means, he can train as much as he wants and doesn't have to work around other skaters schedule and unknown facilities. The flight to South Korea is short, there will be no jetlag.

iorii

On the Ice
Hello!! I've been lurking since December 2016 because of YOI. I don't watch a lot of anime, but I picked it up because 'oh wow, figure skating!' but back then I only knew Yuna and Yuzuru.

I got really hooked up, did all my research, sneakily watch some competitions live at the office and read GS between work. I can't shut up about figure skating now but realized none of my friends are into the technical aspects as much as I do (I'm the type that once I love something, I go all out at it!) so I decided to de-lurk myself! I was unsure on registering because--I'm one of many people who's now following figure skating religiously because of YOI, but some YOI fans can be ridiculous, I was afraid I would be dismissed lol. The posts I read here are fun though, hence I'm here ;)

I fell hard with Shoma's Loco program god knows how many times I have rewatched it. It's definitely my top fave program from last season, I'm in love. The feeling of sharpness and precision he gives leaves me jaw-dropped, you just can't simply take your eyes off him.

I come from an iceless Asian country, my English could sometimes be awkward and weird, I apologize. A bit irrelevant but I super love the Ina Bauer move!! It's one of my favorite things in the world my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it, I have a personal album consisting only Ina Bauer shots I would die if Shoma would ever do Ina Bauer one day (he already has a beautiful cantilever, I'm not complaining!).

Anyway, Winter is already looking amazing!! The spin suits well with the music, the empty gaps were already filled, the feel of the choreography is being slowly grasped, it's looking promising :love:

A very lovely photo of sun-kissed Shoma https://twitter.com/iceon_ice/status/875460099959017472

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there's a thing about language tapes, i used one before i went to Italy. but I'd gasp every time a "real" Italian person said something, and they were saying the simplest things I'd learned on the tape. you just get used to the exact way, voice, tempo that the tape uses and can't understand the native speaker saying the same things. (i'm that way with Japanese too. native speakers speak faster than you're prepared to hear as well) OR Shoma's just surprised someone's saying hi to him?

As for a dream, I want this one to be real!!

As a former foreign language teacher, I can attest to the value of tapes. They are also a problem though, since the person you are talking to doesn't have your tape! :laugh: So they need to only answer back what is on your tape! Ha! Ha! They are good for pronunciation though, but only if you have a really good ear...Ah foreign languages! SO much fun! Last year when I spoke Italian to someone, I got SO excited when he understood me. And it got even more exciting when I understood his answer.

ETA -- Thx to everyone for your comments on Worlds and how they "work" with the spots. I really shouldn't worry I suppose. Shoma will be there. Just hope his team is thinking long and hard about how they want to do his schedule for this year. I'm sure Coach Yamada and Her Royal Fluffiness are on it! :bow:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm not sure what the best strategy is here. One thing is that he is young, this is his first Olympic experience and maybe he wants to take it all in, opening ceremony, the whole package. But staying in Nagoya as long as possible also means, he can train as much as he wants and doesn't have to work around other skaters schedule and unknown facilities. The flight to South Korea is short, there will be no jetlag.

Yeah. I don't really know what Shoma and his team will choose regarding 4CC this year. Last season his strategy of many competitions worked really well for him so doing 4CC might help lower the competition anxiety between Nationals and the Olympics, but the short time between competitions makes me tired just thinking about it. Then again so did his schedule last season and Shoma reminded us all that he has nerves of steel and the stamina to handle it. I don't expect it because it's really close to the start of the Olympics, but wouldn't be surprised if he did make the decision to go, since both 4CC and the Olympics are in the same timezone as and fairly 'close' to Japan anyway.

Hello!! I've been lurking since December 2016 because of YOI. I don't watch a lot of anime, but I picked it up because 'oh wow, figure skating!' but back then I only knew Yuna and Yuzuru.

A very lovely photo of sun-kissed Shoma https://twitter.com/iceon_ice/status/875460099959017472

Welcome to GS and thank you so much for the photo you bring us. It's such a lovely photo and Shoma looks amazing!

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
A bit irrelevant but I super love the Ina Bauer move!! It's one of my favorite things in the world my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it, I have a personal album consisting only Ina Bauer shots I would die if Shoma would ever do Ina Bauer one day (he already has a beautiful cantilever, I'm not complaining!).

hey welcome! idk if you have seen this program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSMDwmbtcb4 if not it's amazing you should watch it. and he does an ina bauer at 4:00. It's not long but it's there.
But i guess maybe you mean layback ina bauer like Shizuka and Yuzuru, in that case i don't think Sho has ever done one and i don't think he ever will since it is such a Yuzuru move now.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I just rewatched Shoma's LP's from the last two Worlds back to back (because honestly, what else can one do at a Saturday afternoon? :)) Anyway, I remembered that Boston Worlds and his face, his sad disappointed face his tears and a lot of commenters said "Oh, it was so hard following Fernandez brilliant skate." And this year we had practically the same situation - in reverse. Shoma did brilliantly and Fernandez had to follow that. What I find so incredible was that mindset and the plan that Shoma and his team had, that really worked out this year. Last year I think he was a bit intimidated - everything was a bit too much. And this year, he had a program that was so much harder, that he hadn't skated clean yet, and he watched Yuzuru, he watched Boyang and he knew Fernandez was still to come. There is so much confidence now, that was not there last year. And that confidence gives ME confidence for that Olympic season, and the Olympics. It's good that he has no rituals or superstitions. That he has no preferred skating order (I think he proved that after GPF and Worlds...)

What the others do doesn't impress him that much anymore. He's grown so much in that year, I can't wait to see what's in store for the Winter Prince next year. I know it is so hard to get so invested in a skater. I've been there with Daisuke and that mostly ended in "I cannot watch this competion, I'm gonna die" so I hope I won't be dead at the end of the Olympics. On one hand I want to watch, on the other I cannot handle the tension, :sad21:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I know it is so hard to get so invested in a skater. I've been there with Daisuke and that mostly ended in "I cannot watch this competion, I'm gonna die" so I hope I won't be dead at the end of the Olympics. On one hand I want to watch, on the other I cannot handle the tension, :sad21:

i get what you mean so much I was there with Dai and I was there with Mao and they could be amazingly genius but were also very very inconsistent... And since i am so invested in Shoma obviously i am always so nervous for him/with him but at the same time I do have this kind of confidence with him now that I don't think he is gonna meltdown. Idk i just believe it's gonna be ok because honestly i think he has grown to be one of the very best competitors in the field. Some might be better skaters but in terms of competitors i actually think Shoma is top notch. idk i have this weird or maybe not so weird faith in him that i don't really have with most of my other favs who are usually quite inconsistent.

Latremu

Final Flight
i get what you mean so much I was there with Dai and I was there with Mao and they could be amazingly genius but were also very very inconsistent... And since i am so invested in Shoma obviously i am always so nervous for him/with him but at the same time I do have this kind of confidence with him now that I don't think he is gonna meltdown. Idk i just believe it's gonna be ok because honestly i think he has grown to be one of the very best competitors in the field. Some might be better skaters but in terms of competitors i actually think Shoma is top notch. idk i have this weird or maybe not so weird faith in him that i don't really have with most of my other favs who are usually quite inconsistent.

I think your faith in him has to do with his ability to keep calm during his performance. Even when he makes a mistake (falls, etc), he continues on without a change in his body language or facial expressions, and is generally still able to perform the rest of the program well. Seems like he manages to put his emotions aside until the end of his performance. It's after his ending pose that he lets go and allows it all to show in his face (as seen in most of the competitions he's been in this year- I'm struck by his post-performance facial expressions after FS at Sk Am, GPF 2016, Japanese Nationals, 4cc, and Worlds). What I've observed is that, during the performance, when he does things well he shows some joy (cue SP in TCC after landing 4F for the first time, as well as in Worlds 2017 after landing the 3A-loop-3F combo), but not enough to overwhelm him nor for him to lose control for the rest of the skate. On the other hand, when he makes a mistake, he just continues on.

His motto seems to be "Keep Calm and Keep Performing/Skating." Of course, the downside might be that his facial expressions are more limited during his performance, but I'll take that, since facial expressions aren't exactly a part of the scoring system. This is also the reason that I look forward to his exhibitions, since he's less intense and allows more emotion to show, especially in the gala after competitions. His face during those times seem to reflect how he felt about the competition and his performance in it. Sorry if this has been posted before, but his MOI 2016 performance (after winning gold in Japanese Nationals) is a perfect example of this. It's my favorite performance of his "See you Again", despite the fall on the attempted 4L.

https://youtu.be/1Ri8Ajf2sPU

Welcome to iorii, my fellow newbie on this forum! So many of us newbies and previous lurkers revealing ourselves now! :-D

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Last performance at FaoI 2017. His usual 4F (Step out), 4T (clean), eagle entry 3A (clean). Had some trouble with the spin at the end. Final jump battle saw Shoma try the 4Lz again. :unsure:

Shoma wore Cats Ears today.

There is going to be a talkshow, like the one they did in 2015 but unfortunately Shoma is not in it. Nobu will talk to Marin, Yuzuru and Akiko this time. I guess, they are more entertaining than Shoma whose only interest was his cake, the last time. Odd choices from a figure skating standpoint....understandable if you want entertainment, though. :roll5:

Bel

On the Ice

Agreed!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I think your faith in him has to do with his ability to keep calm during his performance. Even when he makes a mistake (falls, etc), he continues on without a change in his body language or facial expressions, and is generally still able to perform the rest of the program well. Seems like he manages to put his emotions aside until the end of his performance. It's after his ending pose that he lets go and allows it all to show in his face (as seen in most of the competitions he's been in this year- I'm struck by his post-performance facial expressions after FS at Sk Am, GPF 2016, Japanese Nationals, 4cc, and Worlds). What I've observed is that, during the performance, when he does things well he shows some joy (cue SP in TCC after landing 4F for the first time, as well as in Worlds 2017 after landing the 3A-loop-3F combo), but not enough to overwhelm him nor for him to lose control for the rest of the skate. On the other hand, when he makes a mistake, he just continues on.

My favorite of these was at 4CC, when he landed both the 4Lo (for the first time) and then immediately after, the 4F as well. He had this look on his face that was just amazing, this cocky confidence that fit the Tango theme so well. Also the recent gif circulating of his expression at Higuchi when she told him to attach a 2T to his 3S at WTT and he was like 'nope, nope, nooope'. :laugh: