Shoma Uno | Page 632 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no, that makes me really worried, I thought that the healing was going as expected :(

It could be just minor, a touch of delay from what was foreseen, and he and his doctors are being cautious in order to make sure of 4CC (hopefully) and Worlds which is the most important one (especially being in Japan!)

It's hard for these determined young men to be sensible sometimes, but good when they do.

moonstruck

On the Ice
It's good that Shoma is being mindful of his condition. I just hope he's resting as much as he needs, and that he'll be fully recovered and healthy again :pray:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
De ene Japanse topper wordt vervangen door een andere, want het Japanse team vaardigt wel Rika Kihira af.
Well, I do speak Dutch, and the wording is... a bit misleading. Google is a good translator, it really does mean "replaced", whereas we all know Rika was due to appear, already, anyway.
Ah well. I guess I wasn't really counting on Shoma showing up... C'est la vie.

OniBan

Final Flight
A wise and sensible decision from him and his team. I hope and pray for a speedy(-ier?) recovery for him, that he would use what little spare time he has to heal and recuperate, and that he will fully healthy, strong and fit for the World Championship - that should be the main and most important goal.

Sastrugi

Rinkside
I got the impression from Shoma's website message that he's been listening to his senpais for a change and NOT training much while he heals. That seems to be why he wants to do 4CC - so he can assess his condition and adjust his training accordingly, even though it will mean missing Challenge Cup.

Anyone know if Shoma has plans to visit Coach Alex after 4CC? As he'll already be in America and wants to improve his condition before Worlds...

biryanione

On the Ice
Hi Sastrugi - I would not guess so as the second jet lag would occur in a short amount of time if he were to adjust to US time and then go back again for World’s. It is only my own perspective, as I cross the Atlantic often and when I have to twice in a month for over a week, I am very much not at my physical best :confused: (and Pacific is further than Atlantic!)

OniBan

Final Flight
found myself reading up on what constitutes an ankle sprain.. this site here sums it up in the most concise manner.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseas...prained-ankle/

Basically it is the stretching and tearing of the ankle ligament in various degrees. A Grade 1 injury would be stretching of plus microscopic tears of the ligament and would take around 2 weeks to heal. Grade 2 and above would be worse as there is partial or complete tear of the ligament, requiring much more extensive rehabilitation to ensure that recurring sprains will not occur as it can weaken the ankle. This can take anytime between 6-12 weeks to completely heal, including rehabilitation period to strengthen the healed ligament.

Looking at the timeline since JN and the time it takes to recuperate, I am guessing that Shoma's injury is rather more serious than a Grade 1. I am extremely relieved that he is not going to CC next month if it means resting that ankle...though I'm starting to have trepidation of him going to 4CC. Will he have enough time to completely recover and in the position to rehabilitate his ankle properly to prevent future injuries?

rabidline

Final Flight
Will he have enough time to completely recover and in the position to rehabilitate his ankle properly to prevent future injuries?

I'll definitely be praying for the ankle to be fully recovered and Shoma to take care not to put himself in a worse condition physically.

Since 4CC starts next week, I hope we'll have some news or sightings of Shoma soon! I wonder if he's still in Japan or if he has YEEETED to Anaheim, because... time difference XD

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
I’ve been so busy that I completely forgot 4CC is next week. Time to start praying :pray: Hope I can watch it, I miss him and his skating but at the same time I really REALLY hope he is in good condition and doesn’t participate for the sake of participating. If I see any sign of pain :hopelessness:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I had a wonderful conversation with a friend yesterday. We were talking about sports, and I said that I liked to watch figure skating. She hadn't heard of the sport before (she only knew about speed skating) so I asked her whether she had ever heard of her home country's national champion. She hadn't, so we went on YT and played a video of his SP. I explained about quads and how difficult they were (especially combos). Then she asked me whether I liked him as a skater, and I said yes, but I prefer Shoma Uno. :)

We chose the first video that came up - Moonlight Sonata at Japan Nationals! As he skated through his program she commented 'Wow, so beautiful,' and 'he looks taller on the ice'. I think I've converted someone to figure skating and made her a new fan of Shoma!!

OniBan

Final Flight
I'll definitely be praying for the ankle to be fully recovered and Shoma to take care not to put himself in a worse condition physically.

Since 4CC starts next week, I hope we'll have some news or sightings of Shoma soon! I wonder if he's still in Japan or if he has YEEETED to Anaheim, because... time difference XD

Lots and lots of good vibes, prayers and offerings to the skating gods for Shoma :pray: :pray: :pray:
I'm guessing he's keeping under the radar to focus (for all we know he might already be in Anaheim to adjust for jet lag and time difference aaah)

Like all of you, I miss seeing him so I've been binging on Shoma videos while I work XDD
Here's a fun one that I like from SOI, last summer I think? (plus point: all my faves in one group choreo - Shoma, Patrick, Scott Moir!! :love:) Fave bits from here:
1) Shoma in red pants. Please wear it more XD
2) Dancing Shooms! We need more dancing from him! https://youtu.be/nMNqzox1WGw?t=74 onwards
3) Trying to catch up with the group with his short Corgi legs :rofl: https://youtu.be/nMNqzox1WGw?t=100

If you have any fave Shoma moments (comps, off ice, off-season etc) do share it here! So we can get through the Shoma drought together XDD

rabidline

Final Flight
Maybe not quite a Shomoment, but I think this week is actually the 1st Birthday of one of the most unforgettable moments of 2018, the appearance of Yellow Turandot, aka Bananadot XD

Look at the high quality details! The cut-outs in the back and sleeves are truly impressive, and no matter the color, still a work of art. Satomi was very kind to share them in Insta early this summer: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjCmsZoDe59/

I wonder if Shoma has another costume surprise for us this 4CC XD

Edited to add: Okay I just found this photo randomly on Twitter, taken by Mukaihashiai at Skate Canada this year, and it's too sweet not to share!

https://twitter.com/Mukaihashiai/status/1090435423715946497

I think it's the moment right after Shoma finished his SP, of course we know that he fell on his 3A at Skate Canada... but check out Fluffy at the back with her mega-head tilt XD I know that it's a huge error and Shoma was really hard on himself after, but I can't help smiling because it's such a Mihoko thing to do, handling a tough situation with a reaction like that.

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Okay I just found this photo randomly on Twitter, taken by Mukaihashiai at Skate Canada this year, and it's too sweet not to share!

https://twitter.com/Mukaihashiai/status/1090435423715946497

I think it's the moment right after Shoma finished his SP, of course we know that he fell on his 3A at Skate Canada... but check out Fluffy at the back with her mega-head tilt XD I know that it's a huge error and Shoma was really hard on himself after, but I can't help smiling because it's such a Mihoko thing to do, handling a tough situation with a reaction like that.

:laugh: Love her. And Sho’s face is very “wth just happened?”, who would have expected a fall on 3A
Thanks for sharing, I needed a laugh. I hope we’ll have news about him soon.

Also I love that Feel it still number from SOI, I had forgotten about that. I had watched it so many times that I had the song stuck in my head for days.

OniBan

Final Flight
Mihoko NEVER gets mad! Or even remotely look unpleased. I think I've only ever seen her once with a not-smiling-face, and that was when the camera caught her concentrating on Shoma's skate.

haha thing about Bananadot, to me it's like the transitional design between Greenrandot and Blurandot (even if Blurandot debuted first), visual-wise. Like if Greenrandot is the larvae, Bananadot is the chrysalis, and Blurandot is the eventual butterfly.

c3zara - yep.. that song is DEFINITELY stuck in my head now XDDD

This video is sadly potato quality but I love it because it has baby!Sho showing off some jumps and his beautiful skating skills, which was impressive considering how young he was! Actual skating starts around 4:10 onwards (he started doing some simple stroking exercise, n when he took his jacket off, the show caption says 'SWITCH ON', and the magic began).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rULOVvr1rs

Fun bit: around 8.36, the host and Shoma played a little game, where they spun around a baseball bat ten time, and try to walk in a straight line after. Let's just say baby!Sho handled that like a boss XDD

Also: does anyone know if there's any translation for the family interview (15:15) existing anywhere on the net? I am dying to know what is being said here.