Shoma Uno | Page 685 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm also curious why TSL keeps suggesting dance choreographers... probably because they're more likely to give Shoma contemporary programs? XD

They LOVED Legends from his debut season. They also feel so much of what he does now is generically lovely, but that he is capable of being a dancer. I think they feel that would really set him apart. They admire his skating skills a lot, so they think he's capable of doing really unique stuff. They've been saying for months that they wish he would work with Benoit, and occasionally they mention Tom Dickson. I'd like to see either of them work with Sho too! Apparently, they don't realize that Shomita has already said that Fluffy will do his choreography. In the past Stephane has worked with them/consulted too on the choreo, and last season Marie France worked with them. Not sure about Sam Chouinard, although we know Sho worked with him off-ice a little bit.

rabidline

Final Flight
They LOVED Legends from his debut season. They also feel so much of what he does now is generically lovely, but that he is capable of being a dancer. I think they feel that would really set him apart. They admire his skating skills a lot, so they think he's capable of doing really unique stuff. They've been saying for months that they wish he would work with Benoit, and occasionally they mention Tom Dickson. I'd like to see either of them work with Sho too! Apparently, they don't realize that Shomita has already said that Fluffy will do his choreography. In the past Stephane has worked with them/consulted too on the choreo, and last season Marie France worked with them. Not sure about Sam Chouinard, although we know Sho worked with him off-ice a little bit.

Aaaah, I see. Well, with how Shoma's upper body moves in coordination with his lower body and edges, I do understand the dreams of the TSL guys. Maybe Mihoko will collaborate with dance choreographers to make choreo for Shoma! Never say never XD

Shoma may not be the smoothest dancer off-ice (well, his on-ice shimmy can also be smoother lololol) but for me he does seem to have like a different kind of dancing potential? I don't think he "dances on ice" like skaters who are good in off-ice dancing or "ice dances" like ice dancers, but he can make his programs look like "a dance on ice" (sorry if my metaphors are confusing XD).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Shoma may not be the smoothest dancer off-ice (well, his on-ice shimmy can also be smoother lololol) but for me he does seem to have like a different kind of dancing potential?

This reminded me of a show years ago, where an Australian dancer (now the Artistic Director of the Australian Ballet) was asked about dancers going to clubs and general dances, and he said bluntly that they are the worst on a dance floor (gave a demonstration that looked exactly like a Thunderbirds puppet :laugh:). So how Our Heroes look off ice really doesn't count...

OniBan

Final Flight
I know many people have remarked about what a wonderful program TAT would make. I think it would be really problematic, and in the end, it would lose it's rather dream-like, unrushed, languid quality that makes it so special when he has to skate it with 2 quads and a 3A. It seems to me that it wouldn't work...Great Spirit is just problematic - period. Not to mention that I think the judges would hate it.

After watching Shoma perform TAT, I think that he could be a good fit for Rhapsody in Blue? (IF his team is going for that one warhorse per senior season route again, it would interesting if it's to Gershwin, heh). It feels like TAT program laid a good foundation for such a music... I would actually love to see his interpretation of Rhapsody. In a nice, contemporary and cool costume, like a swanky suit, or a well tailored shirt and vest :3

Shedi0806

On the Ice
After watching Shoma perform TAT, I think that he could actually be a good fit for Rhapsody in Blue? (IF his team is going for that one warhorse per senior season route again, it would interesting if it's to Gershwin, heh). It feels like TAT program laid a good foundation for such a music... I would actually love to see his interpretation of Rhapsody. In a nice, contemporary and cool costume, like a swanky suit, or a well tailored shirt and vest :3

Worlds being in Canada I could see that being a good choice for him. It would remind me of Yuna's choice, the Gershwin long program at the Vancouver Olympics.

I second the TSL guys though, hope to see a program similar to Great Spirit or his SP two seasons ago.

skatefan22

Medalist

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never get too into suggesting or guessing what he'll skate to, but I like the thought of him skating to Rhapsody in Blue. Also when I saw Cha's Gypsy Dance SP (from the Don Quijote ballet) at Sk Can 2017, I immediately thought of Shoma. I suppose that's considered a war horse, but what isn't these days. That Gypsy Dance would be so perfect for Sho - it has a fiery beginning and ending and a middle section that has almost a dreamy quality (kind of like TAT). I could see him doing both styles really well, and it would be a great vehicle to show off his versatility.

rabidline

Final Flight
Oh, what a nice surprise and a great treat! :dance: Look at what I received today from one of my GS friends. This beautiful magazine! https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9c/95/b6/9c95b61ece243103da7821276a060a87.jpg It's so nice and has some wonderful, princely photos! Thank you to my friend. Good day sunshine indeed!!!! :cool14: And good day, dead banana too! :dbana:

That's a wonderful surprise Arriba! <3 Enjoy the beautiful magazine, there are some amazing ShoPhotos within XD

deedee1

Record Breaker
I don't closely follow figure skating lately, sorry, but has there been any news re the venue/base for Shoma's trainings outside of Japan? I've checked 'The Ice 2019' website and realized there will be Nathan, Boyang again, listed also are Mariah and Marin. Am most surpsied to see Romain Pomsart . So I agree with many, his newly added training venue should be Raf's.

rabidline

Final Flight
I don't closely follow figure skating lately, sorry, but has there been any news re the venue/base for Shoma's trainings outside of Japan? I've checked 'The Ice 2019' website and realized there will be Nathan, Boyang again, listed also are Mariah and Marin. Am most surpsied to see Romain Pomsart . So I agree with many, his newly added training venue should be Raf's.

No, unfortunately there hasn't been any announcement yet! We've been in quite an info drought lately XD

Raf and California is one of the training base many have speculated, since they do have a top skater in Nathan, Shoma's friends with Marin, and that Shoma did go to Lakewood before 4CC official practice starts.

And yes, some of Raf's students are scheduled to appear at The Ice, the announcement was made before Worlds (20 Mar). It made me think, if it really is Raf Shoma is going to, I wonder if the talks to go there have been planned before Worlds and WTT.

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Finally we see the C prize, he looks so good in that suit :dbana: a closeup
Ah I miss him, the ATS ice show can’t come fast enough

die Wolke

Rinkside
And yes, some of Raf's students are scheduled to appear at The Ice, the announcement was made before Worlds (20 Mar). It made me think, if it really is Raf Shoma is going to, I wonder if the talks to go there have been planned before Worlds and WTT.
Well, his cooperation wih Ouriashev didn't go well in the last year, so... Everything is possible.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, his cooperation wih Ouriashev didn't go well in the last year, so... Everything is possible.

I thought things went very well, considering Sho was still nursing a bit of a sore ankle. Lucky he had Demi-san with to keep his ankle in shape. They did great stamina work and worked very hard on incorporating the jumps into the programs. At that point Sho had only been working on Moonlight Shomata for a short time. Although it was fun to watch the media day, it was a bit disruptive to his training, but other than that, things went well. My hope is that wherever he goes, he goes for at least a month.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I think he said that he will go to the camp around mid-June, back to Japan end of July for THE ICE, then go again to the camp for the rest of the summer, so it is about 3 months.:biggrin:

At most it'll be two months because he has Friends On Ice at the end of August, and then he will have to begin preparations for the competitive season.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hoping he's going to be working on choreography there too. 3 months seems like a long time. I have to believe he has other responsibilities that he has to take care of in Japan, whether they're for Toyota or other things he's involved in. Friends on Ice, costumes (hopefully lots! :laugh:) and who knows what else! Only time will tell, since they don't seem in any hurry to tell us anything! :luv17:

OniBan

Final Flight
Legends remains my favorite Shoma SP. :love:

For the new program, how about something similar to this one:
https://twitter.com/dailyshoom/status/1084956261207072769
I don't know how many times I repeated this short clips already...

Side note, I wish Shoma would revisit his Tanguera program, for exhibition maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74CN31a-94
He was amazing pulling off such an intriguing music at such a young age. I am eager to see how he would interpret that music now.

I ADORE Legends! My fave SP of his too (I love STH madly as well, in its earlier incarnation)

I kinda want to see one particular EX he did as a junior revisited - the Bad Boy Good Man one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2P2QcRlKw4). Judging how flirty he can get in STH at World's (the come-hither gesture! and the flirty smile), I'd probably die if he does skate to BBGM again :laugh: