Shoma Uno | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are lover for figure skating, so i think we dont have to be so strict with "thread hijacked"!:laugh:

Yes! i see their work will be thriling! The job which Shae did with Ashley is awsome, and further shoma has another mannly strength that you mentioned above. Shae is really good at drawing a skater's strong points and make them look cool. :love:
Hope they will have a fruiteful interaction at Friends (but shoma is super shy and not good at English.. I'm worried about it. )

Shae is amazing. She has done great work with Yuzu, Ashley, and Rika, and so many others. That's right! Forgot she is going to be at Friends. I think their conversation is going to be a little bit limited! :laugh: I hesitate to even think about it, but I feel like he needs to spend a little less time with his games and maybe start learning English - even if it's with a tutor so that he can go at his own pace. I don't know if that's realistic, since his first commitment should be to his skating. I think it might be good for him, although it takes a lot of motivation.

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Shae is amazing. She has done great work with Yuzu, Ashley, and Rika, and so many others. That's right! Forgot she is going to be at Friends. I think their conversation is going to be a little bit limited! :laugh: I hesitate to even think about it, but I feel like he needs to spend a little less time with his games and maybe start learning English - even if it's with a tutor so that he can go at his own pace. I don't know if that's realistic, since his first commitment should be to his skating. I think it might be good for him, although it takes a lot of motivation.

feel the same... i think one of the reasons you feel something mysterious with yuzu or shoma is they dont have fluency in English like Javi, Denis, Yuna(kim), etc. Shoma is silent also in Japanese (lol), but yuzu is so eloquent in Japanese. But he cant express his thought in English enough and doesn’t have English interview. that's producing some misunderstanding with his characters.
Anyway, for the top athletes, English ability is crucial. Of course, the time of game is need to relax, but taking your time for studying English is also important..

Other than Shae, Jeremy (im so happy to see him skate again), M/C, Ilia, Daisuke… the members of Friends are very attractive and they will give him much inspiration!

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
Excited to see Stephane's work with Shoma. Other people come to my mind like Kenji, Takeshi, Nanami Abe, Uncle Dai for choreography. But the one I keep coming back to is Shae Lynne Bourne. I just think she could do great things with Shoma. And I don't want to hijack Shoma kun's thread :hijacked:, but when I saw this clip of Shae Lynne working with Ashley Wagner, I kept imagining what great work they could do together. Obviously the style in the clip is too girly for Shoma - but I can only imagine what S.L. could create with his speed and power, footwork, and total body movement. Wow!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BH2ndaKDfKv/

Takeshi as in Takeshi Honda? Does he choreograph? I think Kenji has been doing all his recent programs. I agree, Shae-Lynn would be nice and I hope they'll be able to communicate somehow. Shoma will have many senpais looking out for him at FOI so fingers crossed!
Ashley looks great in that video. I look forward to her new programs. Totally unrelated and shallow, but I prefer Ashley without makeup, or very little of it. She’s so pretty :luv17:

feel the same... i think one of the reasons you feel something mysterious with yuzu or shoma is they dont have fluency in English like Javi, Denis, Yuna(kim), etc. Shoma is silent also in Japanese (lol), but yuzu is so eloquent in Japanese. But he cant express his thought in English enough and doesn’t have English interview. that's producing some misunderstanding with his characters.
Anyway, for the top athletes, English ability is crucial. Of course, the time of game is need to relax, but taking your time for studying English is also important..

Other than Shae, Jeremy (im so happy to see him skate again), M/C, Ilia, Daisuke… the members of Friends are very attractive and they will give him much inspiration!

I've been reading reports from the Blue Flame II event that took place last night and the "key words" that came from the writer and the editor seem to be "machine gun talk" and "cannot stop talking" :laugh: It seems to be one of the first things people notice about him. The poor mother when they're in Toronto... ;)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think everyone is so much more comfortable in their first language. I remember that press conference where Yuzu tried to speak English and took 10 minutes to answer one question. I gave him credit for trying, but in the end, all the little nuances are very tricky, and I don't know if anyone understood the thought he was trying to express. I think in normal, everyday limited conversations, he probably does ok. Even if he is mysterious, it still comes through to me that he is very kind and caring...I still remember the video clip in a Boston practice where Shoma was very kindly signing autographs and all the Americans were saying "Hi" to him. He had this puzzled :scratch2: look on his face, and I'm sure he was wondering why everyone kept saying "Yes" to him. :) He'll be ok though. I think he just has some growing up to do. He's on the right path, although like you say, I think he would rather not talk in any language. :rofl:

Friends should be really good. I can't wait to hear the news!

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takeshi as in Takeshi Honda? Does he choreograph? I think Kenji has been doing all his recent programs. I agree, Shae-Lynn would be nice and I hope they'll be able to communicate somehow. Shoma will have many senpais looking out for him at FOI so fingers crossed!
Ashley looks great in that video. I look forward to her new programs. Totally unrelated and shallow, but I prefer Ashley without makeup, or very little of it. She’s so pretty :luv17

I misspoke about Takeshi. Now I can't remember the other Japanese person I was thinking of. And how could I forget Jeffrey Buttle and Massimo Scali? I'm sure when Shoma is ready, there will be many people ready and happy to work with him.

Ashley's makeup is sometimes SO overdone. But more than that -- the hair color!!! In another thread we were joking about the American ladies -- what will be "the color of the year -- will it be blond? red?" :eekn: Many of them are ruining their hair with color. :roll5: I think that's something the Japanese ladies don't have to think about!

I think it is interesting that after Shoma did that interview with Uncle Dai, he started resting one day a week, he went to the U.S. to train, and who knows what other things. So maybe Dai is a good senpai for him!

mikaboo

Medalist
I misspoke about Takeshi. Now I can't remember the other Japanese person I was thinking of. And how could I forget Jeffrey Buttle and Massimo Scali? I'm sure when Shoma is ready, there will be many people ready and happy to work with him.

Ashley's makeup is sometimes SO overdone. But more than that -- the hair color!!! In another thread we were joking about the American ladies -- what will be "the color of the year -- will it be blond? red?" :eekn: Many of them are ruining their hair with color. :roll5: I think that's something the Japanese ladies don't have to think about!

I think it is interesting that after Shoma did that interview with Uncle Dai, he started resting one day a week, he went to the U.S. to train, and who knows what other things. So maybe Dai is a good senpai for him!

Who could it be? :think:I wish Japan had at least one more choreographer who is as successful as Kenji. I like him but I find some of his works… recognizable (like Sota and Koshiro’s FS, I though they were Kenji's before I found out they actually were) and I don’t know if that’s a good thing. I hope Akiko’s works will continue to be received well.

I like Ashley’s hair colors most of the time. The only time I didn’t like it was when she bleached it really really blonde. I think it was 2 seasons ago. And I guess overdone makeup is necessary for competitions. I always get pleasantly surprised at how pretty she is whenever I see her without much makeup on.
It’s funny but when Japanese skaters graduate from high school, the first thing a lot of them do is to dye their hair to a lighter tone. But then they soon dye it back to a more natural color. It must be phase they go through :laugh:

:eek:topic: Someone happened to find his brother Itsuki Uno blongs to the entertainment office :biggrin: (Sorry it has been posted before.)

I didn't know :eek:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: Someone happened to find his brother Itsuki Uno blongs to the entertainment office :biggrin: (Sorry it has been posted before.)

Interesting! He really is a good looking kid. It runs in the family! :rock: I still want to see their mom! Maybe at Skate America. :dance2: Isn't that white t shirt the same one Shoma was wearing when he went to see Uncle Dai perform in Love on the Floor?

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
It’s funny but when Japanese skaters graduate from high school, the first thing a lot of them do is to dye their hair to a lighter tone. But then they soon dye it back to a more natural color. It must be phase they go through :laugh:

:laugh2:

Interesting! He really is a good looking kid. It runs in the family! :rock: I still want to see their mom! Maybe at Skate America. :dance2: Isn't that white t shirt the same one Shoma was wearing when he went to see Uncle Dai perform in Love on the Floor?
Again, you have sharp eyes and a good memory :cool:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Who could it be? :think:I wish Japan had at least one more choreographer who is as successful as Kenji. I like him but I find some of his works… recognizable (like Sota and Koshiro’s FS, I though they were Kenji's before I found out they actually were) and I don’t know if that’s a good thing. I hope Akiko’s works will continue to be received well.
When Fuji TV made a "favorite choreographers" poll last year, these were the results.
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/650987539327614976

1. Jeffrey Buttle
2. Pasquale Camerlengo
3. Tatiana Tarasova
4. Kenji Miyamoto
5. Tatsuki Machida
6. Phillip Mills
7. Shae-Lynn Bourne
8. Nikolai Morozov
9. Lori Nichol
10. Stephane Lambiel

Tatsuki has expressed his wish to become a choreographer in the past. Dai said he's not interested and doesn't have any skills for that.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh2:

Again, you have sharp eyes and a good memory :cool:

Not so sure about the memory, but I took one look at the shirt and said "There's a lot of writing going on there. What IS that?" And the words don't make much sense...Please, the skating season needs to start! :laugh2:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Fuji TV made a "favorite choreographers" poll last year, these were the results.
https://twitter.com/online_on_ice/status/650987539327614976

1. Jeffrey Buttle
2. Pasquale Camerlengo
3. Tatiana Tarasova
4. Kenji Miyamoto
5. Tatsuki Machida
6. Phillip Mills
7. Shae-Lynn Bourne
8. Nikolai Morozov
9. Lori Nichol
10. Stephane Lambiel

Tatsuki has expressed his wish to become a choreographer in the past. Dai said he's not interested and doesn't have any skills for that.

Interesting list. I'm surprised to not see Akiko. I would have thought she would at least make the list. And it sounds like maybe that's one thing Dai can't do. It seems like he can do everything else! :) I look forward to seeing more of Tatsuki's efforts.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Interesting list. I'm surprised to not see Akiko. I would have thought she would at least make the list. And it sounds like maybe that's one thing Dai can't do. It seems like he can do everything else! :) I look forward to seeing more of Tatsuki's efforts.

Akiko had only done one program that got recognition and that was Rika Hongo's Quidam. She had previously choreographed a program for herself but it was a modest effort. Tatsuki on the other hand caught people's attention from his first program (Byakuyako) and Stephane Lambiel couldn't stop praising it in interviews. Je Te Veux was another critically acclaimed program and then there was the greatest of them all, The Inheritor, which had been presented shortly before this poll was made.

I've been dreaming about a Machida-choreographed program for Shoma since 2014. He can work with Shoma on a lot of things, including jumps. But first he needs to finish that graduate school of his...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been dreaming about a Machida-choreographed program for Shoma since 2014. He can work with Shoma on a lot of things, including jumps. But first he needs to finish that graduate school of his...

On more than one occasion I've thought that with their similar height and body type that Shoma and Tatsuki would work well together. I think Shoma's spins are better, but maybe Tatsuki could impart some of his wisdom on his textbook-style jump technique. It could be an interesting joint effort.

ioanna

Record Breaker
On more than one occasion I've thought that with their similar height and body type that Shoma and Tatsuki would work well together. I think Shoma's spins are better, but maybe Tatsuki could impart some of his wisdom on his textbook-style jump technique. It could be an interesting joint effort.

Shoma's spins are objectively better, in fact so much better they can't even be compared. Their height is similar but their body type is a bit different. Tatsuki is about 3 cm taller because he has longer legs. Shoma has shorter legs, his calves are especially short.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/4283ab0a20f0134c17a241d424a963c7/tumblr_o6njc81BFy1tzdqszo2_1280.png
http://67.media.tumblr.com/f4eb186cd6afa612481aafdabb3a7e1d/tumblr_o6njc81BFy1tzdqszo1_540.png
http://65.media.tumblr.com/7766315bdb9c0d08ef806cecc2aa58da/tumblr_o7uqvvZDXF1tzdqszo1_500.png

Shoma's pants look like they're too long for his legs :laugh:

Tatsuki also possesses a freakishly small waist and everything combined makes his body look like that of a ballet dancer.
http://67.media.tumblr.com/479ee2f02c5231b5d09d5cdc172d3700/tumblr_oafah5wSkr1tzdqszo1_500.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnZceYaUAAA7Les.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnY9alDVYAAO-Kz.jpg:large

I'm not an expert but these factors can all influence their jumps. It's an interesting thing, because while Tatsuki's quads looked like they were shot from a cannon, he had a hard time trying to get a quad toe and then try different types.

If there's one thing he should teach Shoma, it's the triple lutz. :bow:
http://67.media.tumblr.com/477210338081fe7c90ed1580e1c51d08/tumblr_nuqh73M8161tzdqszo6_250.gif

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma's spins are objectively better, in fact so much better they can't even be compared. Their height is similar but their body type is a bit different. Tatsuki is about 3 cm taller because he has longer legs. Shoma has shorter legs, his calves are especially short.
http://66.media.tumblr.com/4283ab0a20f0134c17a241d424a963c7/tumblr_o6njc81BFy1tzdqszo2_1280.png
http://67.media.tumblr.com/f4eb186cd6afa612481aafdabb3a7e1d/tumblr_o6njc81BFy1tzdqszo1_540.png
http://65.media.tumblr.com/7766315bdb9c0d08ef806cecc2aa58da/tumblr_o7uqvvZDXF1tzdqszo1_500.png
Shoma's pants look like they're too long for his legs :laugh:

If there's one thing he should teach Shoma, it's the triple lutz. :bow:
http://67.media.tumblr.com/477210338081fe7c90ed1580e1c51d08/tumblr_nuqh73M8161tzdqszo6_250.gif

These body type pictures are fun to look at. And I think maybe Shoma borrowed his father's pants! :laugh2:

I suppose if Coach Alex is huge and he can teach Shoma jumps, it seems like anyone should be able to teach jumps, regardless of height. Still would be fun to see Shoma and Tatsuki work together. Or I thought of Mills for Shoma too.

Sure hope Alex worked with Shoma on his lutz. He can only dream that his will be as good as Tatsuki's. That darn jump seems to be the nemesis of so many skaters. And if Shoma's team is really thinking, they'll send him to Skate America a week early so he can work with Alex again and have a chance to get over the jet lag.

Last edited:

mikaboo

Medalist
There is an interview with Shoma on a magazine that came out last week but it was done before he went to the US so there is no mention of his training in Chicago. I'll try to translate some of the interesting parts later.
There is also an interview with Stephane regarding training with Shoma and Kanako. It sounds like he spent at least 2 days with them. I’ve roughly translated the parts Stephane was asked about Shoma.

Details of training with Shoma:
Brushed up on the new programs. FS: Sharpness and masculinity are important when performing the tango and Stephane thinks Shoma understood them, as well as the posture he should be in. SP: The music is very poetic so fluidity of the movements is important. He taught him the contrasting images of the FS and SP. The SP is poetic but the FS has a powerful image that’s unique to tango. It’s important how much of a contrast he can display between the two. They practiced repeatedly, spending most of the time on the skating foundation and the stsq. They began the session with steps then did the jumps later with focus on the 4T. Stephane gave a few tips and Shoma was able to land a beautiful 4T after a few attempts.
Specific advice he gave on the 4T:
Mostly on how to use his back, the approach he should take when going into quads, the air position, the position of his back and hips, a couple of points he should be concentrating on.
Shoma’s strong points:
There are many. For one thing, he's got the techniques. He can do beautiful big jumps and he is also charismatic. When he stands on the ice, he is attractive and full of energy so when he skates, everybody wants to watch him. Stephane loves his charismatic skating.
What Shoma should be challenging next:
He should use his upper body movements more to his advantage. It’s important to link his upper body to move softly with the movements of his backbone to improve his jumps further. It’s very important to shift quickly to the next movement for jumps.

-----
I already posted on the TJ thread, but Stephane was back to coaching at the JSF training camp (July 23-26) this year again.

Shoma 1 2

From various sports news tonight. You can see him with the 4F towards the end of the last link.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4lpwq5_強化合宿-宇野-宮原選手らが練習を公開_sport[/QUOTE]
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4lqo7i_強化合宿-宇野-宮原選手らが練習を公開-2_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4lqzbp_強化合宿-宇野-本田選手らが練習を公開_sport (replaced the dead link)

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is an interview with Shoma on a magazine that came out last week but it was done before he went to the US so there is no mention of his training in Chicago. I'll try to translate some of the interesting parts later.
There is also an interview with Stephane regarding training with Shoma and Kanako. It sounds like he spent at least 2 days with them. I’ve roughly translated the parts Stephane was asked about Shoma.

Details of training with Shoma:
Brushed up on the new programs. FS: Sharpness and masculinity are important when performing the tango and Stephane thinks Shoma understood them, as well as the posture he should be in. SP: The music is very poetic so fluidity of the movements is important. He taught him the contrasting images of the FS and SP. The SP is poetic but the FS has a powerful image that’s unique to tango. It’s important how much of a contrast he can display between the two. They practiced repeatedly, spending most of the time on the skating foundation and the stsq.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the efforts all of you make to keep us informed (through your translations). And I was beginning to suffer from an illness called NO SHOMA NEWS. :hpull: I am so glad Shoma is not standing still but is moving forward with some additional help outside of Team Yamada. And I loved seeing Mihoko sensei in one of the videos. I still feel that she plays such an important role in the mental part of his skating. So glad Stephane is complimentary of Shoma's skating. I really LOVE the contrast between his 2 programs. He had a great contrast last year too.

I'm beginning to feel more and more enthusiasm for Shoma's new season!

88 days, 2 hours, and 54 minutes -- but who's counting?! :drama:

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Shoma fluff will help, he will be the subject of tomorrow's ISU "Wait ... What" video, to be posted at 11 am CET :popcorn::

Yes, I saw that on FB and actually have a note sitting on my tablet so I won't forget. Thank you. Oh the off-season! :drama: Today's video clips helped, especially the quad flip. I'm not a quad freak, but that looked pretty darn good to me. :eeking: Plus he looks really good -- very fit and very happy. You can just tell by their interactions that he really enjoys working with Stephane.

ETA - Love the popcorn emoji!

Last edited: