Skate Canada awarded the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Montréal | Golden Skate

Skate Canada awarded the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Montréal

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: The International Skating Union (ISU) has provisionally awarded the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024 to Skate Canada, who will host the event in Montréal, Quebec. This premier sporting event will be held at the Centre Bell from March 18-24, 2024.

Montréal was slated to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020, but the event was cancelled just prior to the start of the Championships due to the pandemic.

“Just over a year ago, the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020 in Montréal were cancelled due to the pandemic just prior to the start of this world-class event, and now Skate Canada is thrilled to announce that we will be able to rewrite that history in 2024,” said Debra Armstrong, CEO, Skate Canada. “Skate Canada has a proven track record of holding successful ISU events and we are looking forward to bringing the world’s best skaters to the fantastic Canadian city of Montréal. We hope to inspire not only Canadians but people around the world to embrace the joy of skating.”

"After recently being named President of Skate Canada, I am thrilled that we will welcome the world to Montréal for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024," said Skate Canada President Karen Butcher. "This is an exciting time for all of us at Skate Canada, and we feel we have a little unfinished business to take care of at Centre Bell. We look forward to the opportunity to host this prestigious event."

The ISU World Figure Skating Championships® is an annual event that moves around the globe, attracting more than 300 million television viewers worldwide and showcasing more than 200 world-class athletes from 50 countries in four disciplines: men, women, pair and ice dance.

“Montréal, a city with ice sports in its very DNA, is thrilled to be hosting the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships,” said Valérie Plante, Mayor of Montréal. “This much anticipated major event had been awaited since 2020, so its comeback into the city’s 2024 programming is wonderful news. The championship will greatly contribute to the visibility of our city, while bringing significant economic benefits as part of our economic recovery plan. The participation of numerous international athletes will provide an invaluable showcase for the metropolis, and while stars will shine on the ice, so too will the eyes of the multitude of figure skating fans who will watch them perform.”

Skate Canada has a long and proud history of hosting ISU events, having previously held the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 10 times. In addition, each year Canada hosts Skate Canada International, one of the stops on the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series.

“Tourism Montréal is excited and proud to be a Skate Canada partner and looks forward to hosting the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024 in Montréal,” said Yves Lalumière, President and CEO of Tourism Montréal. “After being forced to cancel in 2020 due to the pandemic, having the chance to welcome back this world-class event is testimony to the tradition of excellence in Montréal, Canada’s top sports city, and is sure to make our beautiful city shine as a top destination in North America. We can’t wait to welcome the figure skating community to a secure, friendly and exciting environment.”

The 2024 world championships will mark Canada’s 11th time hosting, and the second time for Montréal. The city also hosted the 1932 edition of the Championships, the first time the event was held in Canada. In 2020, the event was scheduled to take place in Montréal, Quebec, but was cancelled due to the global health crisis. Canada last hosted the event in London, Ontario, in 2013.

“We are very happy with this news, which will spotlight Montréal and the Centre Bell at an International level, by welcoming world excellence in figure skating,” said France Margaret Bélanger, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, Groupe CH. “Our teams are very proud to present this prestigious event and, true to their habits, they will do their utmost to make the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2024 unique and memorable.”

Previous Canadian host cities:
● 1932 Montreal ● 1960 Vancouver ● 1972 Calgary ● 1978 Ottawa ● 1984 Ottawa
● 1990 Halifax ● 1996 Edmonton ● 2001 Vancouver ● 2006 Calgary ● 2013 London
● 2020 Montreal (cancelled)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm really happy for Canada and the Canadians (and quite a few skaters too) Last year's cancellation was necessary of course, but I was really hoping for them to get it in 2024. Good news!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can never think about Montreal without thinking of meeting Gino Vannelli at La Ronde Amusement Park back in the 80's

Oh you met Gino Vanelli:drama:. I loved his tunes and all those curls.

Since supposedly skaters sometimes tailor programs to Worlds, I would love to see a Gino program. Although if a skater fell right after the lyric "I just wanna stop" it could give the wrong impression. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh you met Gino Vanelli:drama:. I loved his tunes and all those curls.

Since supposedly skaters sometimes tailor programs to Worlds, I would love to see a Gino program. Although if a skater fell right after the lyric "I just wanna stop" it could give the wrong impression. :)
KABOOM!!!!! :laugh2:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Forget about GV. Nobody remembers who he is. Even in Montreal. Lol

Spoken by someone younger than myself and Mr Rice, no doubt?;)

But in any event, I am very happy you will be able to go to Worlds. Can I hope that Jo makes the men's team:pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Spoken by someone younger than myself and Mr Rice, no doubt?;)

But in any event, I am very happy you will be able to go to Worlds. Can I hope that Jo makes the men's team:pray:
i want Jo and Conrad :) plus a third man (Roman ;) ;) that's a lot to ask :)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:drama: Bite Your Tongue....
so 3 people told me so... not enough for me to believe that GV is relevant enough at this point, to have a skater use one of his songs for a Montreal theme worlds program :) especially considering all the amazing music coming from Montreal (and Quebec) in the last 20-30 years ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
so 3 people told me so... not enough for me to believe that GV is relevant enough at this point, to have a skater use one of his songs for a Montreal theme worlds program :) especially considering all the amazing music coming from Montreal (and Quebec) in the last 20-30 years ;)
I don't know about that. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but, I thought Eman would be great skating to "Living Inside Myself" as an exhibition, or gala program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-wE-J91JU&list=RDg2-wE-J91JU&start_radio=1&rv=g2-wE-J91JU&t=3

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I have no doubt that there is wonderful music coming out of Montreal which I do not know about. Sadly, being old-ish, my knowledge of all modern music stops in the 1980s. In fact, the first Québécois album (and only) I own is Gilles Vigneault. Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays... Well, I don't need to repeat the rest for you :) And I really don't like folk music, but living where I did, when I did, it was very difficult to learn about non-English cultures, and I was thrilled to actually be able to buy it .

Back to skating, I certainly would not complain if Canada had three men at Montréal Worlds, and two of them being Jo and Conrad. Conrad certainly brought the dra-mah to that FS clip from IG I saw(y)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

mrrice

Record Breaker
of course... but Sandhu is now 40 years old. I do not see Roman, Conrad, Joseph, or even Keegan and Nam skating to any of his songs ;)
:drama: Is he really??? These skaters still stay young in my mind. I still think "Living Inside Myself" is a lyric that skaters can relate to. There's a lot of alone time between events and the cheering crowd.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well i guess it will be at least a decade before the US gets Worlds again but hey lets give Japan Worlds again. :frown:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Some examples of music that could be chosen by skaters for Montreal worlds

• André Gagnon : composer of instrumental music with a very prolific career(passed away a few months ago) Comme au premier jour
  • Harmonium symphonique : composer Serge Fiori . Harmonium was a very popular band in the 70s. New symphonic arrangements were just released at XMAS. This is from Histoires sans paroles (the original version)
  • Arcade Fire : popular band emerging from Montreal many options here... why not Neigbourhood
  • Of course, anything Cirque du Soleil and it's been done
  • A French language song by Celine Dion S'il suffisait d'aimer
  • Coeur de pirate (many options, here are her greatest hits)
  • Alexandra Streliski (dislike it but many people love it... Inscape)
  • Anything Starmania , of course it's been done including SOS d'un terrien en détresse (Denis Ten, Weapo) Here is another one
  • Gilles Vigneault was mentioned above, Félix Leclerc, Jean-Pierre Ferland, Ginette Reno are all artists who are extremely loved and renowned (The North Korean pairs used a Ginette Reno song for one of their programs)
  • Leonard Cohen of course
  • Rufus Wainwright
  • Oscar Peterson ( famous jazz pianist)
  • I am not listing everything... i think there is enough... but just to give another feel Here is some Folk music by la Bottine souriante which may be very distinctive and hard to perform to LOL :) perhaps a better song ;) LOL
I realize that some of these artists are "older as well" but they are still relevant in the culture and would gather a crowd reaction as opposed to the person mentioned earlier in this thread.

Happy listening.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well i guess it will be at least a decade before the US gets Worlds again but hey lets give Japan Worlds again. :frown:
ISU seems to alternate continents... Asia, Europe North America... So perhaps more like 3-4 years... As we see, Canada has had worlds about every 6 years... I would be curious to see how often USA has had them, surely more often over time than Canada :)

Weathergal

Medalist

Some examples of music that could be chosen by skaters for Montreal worlds

• André Gagnon : composer of instrumental music with a very prolific career(passed away a few months ago) Comme au premier jour
  • Harmonium symphonique : composer Serge Fiori . Harmonium was a very popular band in the 70s. New symphonic arrangements were just released at XMAS. This is from Histoires sans paroles (the original version)
  • Arcade Fire : popular band emerging from Montreal many options here... why not Neigbourhood
  • Of course, anything Cirque du Soleil and it's been done
  • A French language song by Celine Dion S'il suffisait d'aimer
  • Coeur de pirate (many options, here are her greatest hits)
  • Alexandra Streliski (dislike it but many people love it... Inscape)
  • Anything Starmania , of course it's been done including SOS d'un terrien en détresse (Denis Ten, Weapo) Here is another one
  • Gilles Vigneault was mentioned above, Félix Leclerc, Jean-Pierre Ferland, Ginette Reno are all artists who are extremely loved and renowned (The North Korean pairs used a Ginette Reno song for one of their programs)
  • I am not listing everything... i think there is enough... but just to give another feel Here is some Folk music by la Bottine souriante which may be very distinctive and hard to perform to LOL :) perhaps a better song ;) LOL
I realize that some of these artists are "older as well" but they are still relevant in the culture and would gather a crowd reaction as opposed to the person mentioned earlier in this thread.

Happy listening.
LOL I think we were just noting we remembered him not that he'd necessarily be a music choice for World's. But if it happens, mr. rice will say he told you so. ;)

But all joking aside, I think it can be a nice thing if a skater pays tribute to the host city or country for Worlds or the Olympics.

The first Montreal-based musical artist I thought of is the band Chromeo. I forgot how I stumbled upon them several years ago, but I just love them. Not sure how "skatable" their music is, but some of it could probably work in an exhibition.

I've never visited your beautiful city but hope I can do so some day.

Weathergal

Medalist
Since several people mentioned hosting Worlds, I was curious how many times Canada and the US have hosted Worlds.

Canada has hosted Worlds 10 times:
1932 Montreal
1960 Vancouver
1972 Calgary
1978 Ottawa
1984 Ottawa
1990 Halifax
1996 Edmonton
2001 Vancouver
2006 Calgary
2013 London
---