Skate Fitters in NYC vs Chicago | Golden Skate

Skate Fitters in NYC vs Chicago

ryanmitchx

Spectator
Hi all, first post here!

I'm a beginner adult skater currently in Adult 6 LTS. I've been progressing fairly quickly since starting LTS ~4 months ago, and I think it's about time to get new skates, as mine feel like they're no longer supportive enough (I feel like I have to tie them tighter and tighter), and I'm about ready to move from adult 6 to pre-free.

Currently I'm in Jackson Mystiques as a 24 year old 135lb male. I wasn't properly fitted for these skates so they've never fit 100% right in the toe box.

My question: I'm not really sure which fitter to go to as someone who's based in NYC. I've heard okay things about Westside Skate & Stick in Long Island City, or Ice House in NJ, and a few others in and around NYC. Alternatively, I'm going back home to Chicago for the holidays, and have heard good things about Rainbo Sports in Northbrook.

Can anyone who's been to any of the above fitters share their experiences? I've heard better things about Rainbo Sports, so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra effort, given that I might have to fly back to pick up or get adjustments, or if one of the fitters (which?) around the NYC area is fine.

Thanks in advance!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
When I was skating, I went to Westside Skate & Stick and I think I was fit well. I never had any problems with my boots, and many coaches/other skaters I knew went/go there. However, this was about 6 years ago when they were still in the city (they used to be downtown Manhattan), and my family and I did not know the first thing about buying a pair of figure skates, and I was also a lot younger so take that as you will. I'm only sharing this because I've gone to West Side Skate and Stick. But, I did not have issues with my boots and from what I understand, they do a good job.

What I will say is that if by "a few others in and around NYC" you are referring to rink pro shops at places like Wollman Rink/Chelsea Piers, I'd recommend against that. Most of these are hockey specialties, so they won't be ideal for fitting figure skates.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all, first post here!

I'm a beginner adult skater currently in Adult 6 LTS. I've been progressing fairly quickly since starting LTS ~4 months ago, and I think it's about time to get new skates, as mine feel like they're no longer supportive enough (I feel like I have to tie them tighter and tighter), and I'm about ready to move from adult 6 to pre-free.

Currently I'm in Jackson Mystiques as a 24 year old 135lb male. I wasn't properly fitted for these skates so they've never fit 100% right in the toe box.

My question: I'm not really sure which fitter to go to as someone who's based in NYC. I've heard okay things about Westside Skate & Stick in Long Island City, or Ice House in NJ, and a few others in and around NYC. Alternatively, I'm going back home to Chicago for the holidays, and have heard good things about Rainbo Sports in Northbrook.

Can anyone who's been to any of the above fitters share their experiences? I've heard better things about Rainbo Sports, so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra effort, given that I might have to fly back to pick up or get adjustments, or if one of the fitters (which?) around the NYC area is fine.

Thanks in advance!
Ice House in NJ is your best bet. I'll PM you info that I'd rather not post here.

ryanmitchx

Spectator
Thanks all! Yeah, have learned from experience that most of the rink pro shops are not great for figure skaters :/