Skaters/Coaches Superstitions | Golden Skate

Skaters/Coaches Superstitions

Tutto

Record Breaker
While we are waiting (impatiently) for the biggest competition of the season to start, why not to look for some distraction trying to guess if our favourites and/or their coaches are superstitious.
For instance, Russia can be badly hit by recession but I doubt that financial constraints are the real reason behind Mr Mishin wearing invariably the same checked shirt in the K&C!
The same I suspect goes for Tarasova famous fur coat. I remember Sasha Cohen in her book mentioned that when they went to some competition in Florida she was stunned to see Tatiana still wearing her furs despite the 80F outside! Sasha also recalled Tarasova being terrified when she saw that Sasha washed her hair before the LP at the Worlds 2003. Apparently there is a superstition not to wash/blow-dry hair on the day of competition. Sasha reckoned that in the end it didn't bring her any bad luck as she landed her 3-3 combination for the first time in competition that night, but I remember that she also fell off her flying camel which was very uncharacteristic of her – so maybe there is something in it...
So do you know of any other ‘skating’ superstitions?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I remember Kurt Browning mentioned going on tour with someone who always wore the same pair of socks when skating--their whole career. An ice dancer...but I can't remember her name. Does anyone remember? It was on one of his podcasts on CBC figure skating.

Last edited:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Off the top of my head:

Christopher Dean used to put his and Torvill's skate guards in a specific position (parallel to each other, IIRC) and place before every competition, and he didn't let anybody touch them.

Valentina Marchei is very superstitious, she puts on two pairs of tights for the SP and, if it she skated well, she doesn't change their order for the FP, otherwise she does. She also has (or used to have) lucky panties she wore for all her competitions.

Rossig

On the Ice
Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie White's superstition was to have absolutely no superstitions, and not to let Meryl have any either! They were interviewed about it by People They do hug their moms before every competition, but they call it "tradition," not superstition.
http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20778965_20787400,00.html

Gracie Gold has a lucky evil eye necklace
https://thejewelerblog.wordpress.co...-the-help-of-a-very-special-piece-of-jewelry/

Tara talks about superstitions here:
http://www.ew.com/article/2014/02/12/olympics-figure-skater-superstitions

But fans have superstitions too! Michelle Kwan fans used to have a lot: one was about eating or not eating chicken, I think?

Last edited:

fure

Rinkside
In some old interview Plushenko said that he is a very superstitious person. His superstitions are having to sit down first before taking the ice (the article is google translated, the real meaning might be a little bit off) and the other is, he never shaves during the day of competition :biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hanyu admitted, in an early interview...I think 2011, that he was a jinx no katamari or a lump of superstition. He goes to temples, the kind of socks he wears, which skate he puts on first, his necklaces and bracelets, and of course, Pooh Bear.

A TV program over-layed his pre-skate rituals, and he makes the same gestures at the same time, each time he goes out to skate...probably so he doesn't go over-time and get a deduction.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iz62r_2015-03-08_sport from 30:20

And of course he always bows to the ice in respect when he leaves the rink.

I guess for skaters whose sport is so much a matter of chance and split second timing, these rituals help with calmness and concentration; keeping the mind occupied with familiar things in the seconds before the performance begins.

P.S. A cultural note, many Japanese are superstitious about a wide variety of things.

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Read that Brian Orser has a "lucky stuffed animal" that he's been carrying around for a decade before finally bequeathing it to Kurt Browning.

peg

Medalist
A TV program over-layed his pre-skate rituals, and he makes the same gestures at the same time, each time he goes out to skate...probably so he doesn't go over-time and get a deduction.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iz62r_2015-03-08_sport from 30:20
My first reaction watching that was that it's kind of freaky - especially seeing the two superimposed and often not being able to see two separate images. But then it occurred to me that his entrance on to the ice is as choreographed as his programs are.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Read that Brian Orser has a "lucky stuffed animal" that he's been carrying around for a decade before finally bequeathing it to Kurt Browning.
:shocked: Please don't tell me Kurt Browning later bequeathed it to Elvis Stojko? Because if he did... Guys, I think we just discovered the origin of the Canadian curse.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
:shocked: Please don't tell me Kurt Browning later bequeathed it to Elvis Stojko? Because if he did... Guys, I think we just discovered the origin of the Canadian curse.

Only if Patrick is carrying it around right now. :biggrin:
-And on a completely different note, happy Saint Patrick's day!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

:laugh: The luck may be confined to winning World Championships. Actually when I read that, my reaction was Brian admittedly thinking (when Yuzuru was not yet his student) that Yuzuru was this "weird kid carrying the Winnie the Pooh doll" was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
-And on a completely different note, happy Saint Patrick's day!

Many thanks! The weather was good here for the parade - no rain!

And thanks everyone for interesting contributions so far

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think original owner Brian might've taken it away from Patrick after Sochi. It'll now be in Nam's hands. Someone should keep a close eye on him at Worlds.

The curse is all Brian's fault. "Here's my lucky stuffed animal, guys!" (Internal thoughts: "Grr, if I didn't win Olympic gold, none of you will either!!")

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think original owner Brian might've taken it away from Patrick after Sochi. It'll now be in Nam's hands. Someone should keep a close eye on him at Worlds.
The curse is all Brian's fault. "Here's my lucky stuffed animal, guys!" (Internal thoughts: "Grr, if I didn't win Olympic gold, none of you will either!!")
Yes I have checked... Nam definitely is bringing around lucky stuffed animals.... :laugh2:

OniBan

Final Flight
I notice Mao always sort of fiddles with her laces on the ice, before assuming the opening pose of her programs. Kinda like untying then tying them together. It's almost like a pre-performance ritual :D

Last edited: