Skaters/Coaches Superstitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters/Coaches Superstitions

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't know if it was a superstition or just a ritual, but I always loved how Mr. Sato would pat/rub Kozuka on the back right before he would go out to skate. So cute!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Machida said he climbed to the top of an Aztec pyramid and touched something aluminum on the top so that he could land his quads.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Not quite on topic but anyone else thinks that commentators have such a 'gift' of jinxing? Just the moment they say something like: He/she is really motoring now or he/she is unstoppable , next thing down goes the skater!
Also I recall Joanna (Conway) on the BEP bursting into quite a speech on Gracie at NHK: This kid has Everything, you are looking at the future World Champion etc etc - next time I heard of Gracie it was news of her injury...

Last edited:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Not quite on topic but anyone else thinks that commentators have such a 'gift' of jinxing? Just the moment they say something like: He/she is really motoring now or he/she is unstoppable , next thing down goes the skater!
Also I recall Joanna (Conway) on the BEP bursting into quite a speech on Gracie at NHK: This kid has Everything, you are looking at the future World Champion etc etc - next time I heard of Gracie it was news of her injury...

Actually it is not just the case of figure skating commentators...I hate when any commentator in any sports says things like that...for example in figure skating he/she says just one more jump to go...and what happens next? skater falls on that last jump, or they say this is the brilliant skate and moment after something bad happens.

LRK

Record Breaker

It's called "The Kiss of Death".