solutions for badly pulled/strained neck muscles? | Golden Skate

solutions for badly pulled/strained neck muscles?

Johar

Medalist
This is trivial, in light of all things going on, but somehow, while sleeping, I badly pulled/strained my neck and shoulder blade on the left side of my spinal cord.

It hurts pretty badly and I have a limited range of motion. Not to mention feeling dumb for getting hurt while sleeping. Should I see a chiropractor or take aspirin and heat therapy?

Now I feel for Timothy Goebel, who also got hurt while sleeping.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Try aspirin and heat first. I know people who swear by chiropractors (and I have 3 in my family) but I am still leery of anyone playing around with a neck. One wrong tug and, well let's not go there ;)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Johar-how did you strain your neck muscles?

When I hurt my back or neck the first thing I do is ice the area to make sure that I take down any inflammation in the area. I take tylenol for the pain (since anything else upsets my stomach). I then alternate between ice and heat. When the pain subsides I then begin to move the area very slowly with yoga type stretches. Massage is also good. I'm not a big fan of chiroprators (I've only been once in my life), but for some people they swear by them-the choice is yours. Once everything gets better, do exercises that are going to strengthen your back muscles and stomach muscles. Also stretch, stretch, & stretch. Keeping the spine strong and flexible is a good way of avoiding pulled muscles.

Johar

Medalist
How did I strain my neck muscles--I don't know. I was asleep when it happened. :laugh:

I woke up and could barely turn or raise my head. Not a fun feeling.

diver chick

On the Ice
Sounds like what we call a 'crick in your neck' Usually it is the result of sleeping in a draught or with too many pillows so your neck seizes up at an unnatural angle. I am quite prone to it so I always make sure the window is closed and the only pillow I have is an almost flat one. If I do end up with a crick when I wake up I just stretch it out and rub some deep heat or other muscle cream on it and that usually works, other than that there is not much else you can do.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Johar said:
This is trivial, in light of all things going on, but somehow, while sleeping, I badly pulled/strained my neck and shoulder blade on the left side of my spinal cord.

It hurts pretty badly and I have a limited range of motion. Not to mention feeling dumb for getting hurt while sleeping. Should I see a chiropractor or take aspirin and heat therapy?

Now I feel for Timothy Goebel, who also got hurt while sleeping.

If it gets worse or does not improve soon, see your Dr.!!! I have chronic back pain with sciatica and as soon as I feel it "going out" I either go to my chiropractor (who has "magic fingers") or seek physio if it goes beyond her treatment. No kind of pain is worth putting up with.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Johar, sorry to hear about your woes. Backs and necks don't tend to "do things" overnight, in my experience, they are (for lack of a better word) "injuries" that deteriorate over time until they rear their heads one morning.

I am an avid beleiver in chiropractic care. That being said, there are good and bad ones, just as there are anywhere. You can get a recommendation from the state or national licencing board. ( Hint: do a google search on " professional+chiropractic+associations"and add area if you like)

I don't like "force" chiropractic, myself. I don't respond to the cracking and jerking. My chiropractor uses and instrument called an "activator" which looks like a long syringe shaped implement with a rubber tip that induces a trauma into the muscles and forces them to pull the misalignment back into place. It is also known as low impact chiropractic. You can find a qualified "Activator Chiropractor" by asking your assocattion.

Second, do not be fooled by those Chiropractors that want to milk your insurance and put you on "maintainance plans". These are "treatment plans" where the Chiro recommends that you come in for several times a week for several weeks at a time. A good Chiropractor will give you a reasonable estimate and encourage you to seek a second opinion, just a good doctor would.

A good Chiro will also assign you some simple exercises to strenthen muscle system and this will help in keeping from injuring yourself again. Once poster mentioned that certain people are prone to these kinds of conditions. If you are one, I'd recommmend a warm wrap around your neck at night and a serious look at diet to see that you are getting all the nutrients that you need to stay healthy. Some of these problems are caused by a lack of calcium and that is difficult because calcium is hard for the body to absorb, so taking Calcium suppliments don't always do the job. A good nutritional web site should also be good for this.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.
your sk8m8...mark

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I often wake up with sore neck and shoulder muscles. I apply moist heat and take aspirin for pain. I always sleep on a super flat pillow, but sometimes I still wake up with a stiff neck. I have been going to a chiropractor for about 8 years for hip problems. I have had my neck worked on too, but not lately...........42

Aloft04

On the Ice
An exercise I learned in a yoga class helps me when this happens.

To the degree that the pain and stiffness allow, relax your head so that your chin droops toward your chest. Take your time with this, don't force anything, and simply concentrate on relaxation. Then slowly and gently rotate your head as though you were a rag doll and the head wants to lie on your shoulder. Then to the back from that position, slowly and gently let your head droop to the back, then the opposite shoulder so that you've gone in a slow, gentle circle. Next do the entire slow rotation in the opposite direction.

It never fails to help me, and I hope you find it therapeutic too.

Johar

Medalist
Thanks everyone. Surprisingly, I felt really normal after 24 hours. I had this happen a few years ago but the pain lasted a good month.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Johar,

Glad to hear that you're now feeling better. That's usually the way it happens with those mysterious "slept funny" spasms. I get them in my neck and shoulders too. My biggest problem is sleep apnea. And sometimes, I find I have assumed a weird sleep position to help keep me asleep. And that is even while using my CPAP machine, which is supposed to keep my airway open and let me sleep without constantly waking up because my brain figures I'm suffocating. But I also can get them in my back if I've assumed a twisted position.

Stretch, stretch, stretch is good advice. Just remember that "stretch" is a GENTLE action. Or maybe that is inaction, as a relaxed rag doll description is the best method. My favorite is simply letting my head hang down. You see alot of your toes that way! Muscle spasms hurt and constantly remind you by seizing up and hurting more. That's what keeps us buying and using heating pads and thermowraps and bengay!

Here's to fewer of them in 2005!