State of Japanese Skaters 2014-2015 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

State of Japanese Skaters 2014-2015

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Congrats to ALL team Japan men. Everyone did so well. Now, keep your nerve in the FS.
About Yuzu...it's too bad about the ankle, but this is a recurring injury so it could happen any time. He is on my prayer list permanently. I think...and maybe this is wishful thinking...but he will be fine for Worlds.
To cheer you up, here is Yuzu's latest advertisement, in which he gets a huge valentine Chocolate from 3 beautiful girls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgssg2VxeU&feature=youtu.be

Did anyone notice Shoma tripped up a tiny bit when simply skating? It was like oops! Pretend that didn't happen! He didn't let it throw him off though. Landed everything like a BOSS.
Murakami is a bit slower than I'd like, but he did himself proud, Mura too. Good luck to the Ladies on TJ as well.
:cheer2:

EDIT:
Ladies SP has just finished and well done to Team Japan again. Acquitted themselves admirably. I hope everyone does themselves proud in the LP the day after tomorrow! :cheer:

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Don't think it's "official" until the end of the WTT competition, but according to the latest Japanese online news, Kanako Murakami will be competing for another season :). Sounds like she's planning to make some changes to her training methods, but she'll stay at the same rink and with the same coach. Hopefully more news in a couple of day's time. I'm pleased about that; think she still has something to offer.

firal

Record Breaker
Cathy Reed is retiring...and Chris Reed will be searching for a new partner, according to the latest news on twitter. Here' s her blog written in Japanese.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
2014-2015 Season's Bests for the Top 8 Japanese Men
http://ice-kingfisher.tumblr.com/post/117237973368/for-anyone-interested-the-season-best-segment
Many thanks to my good friend, the uploader.

Total Segment Scores
288.58 Hanyu (WTT)
269.09 Machida (SA)
256.47 Murakami (4CC)
256.45 Uno (4CC)
255.81 Mura (SC)
245.68* Kozuka (JC)
215.45 Yamamoto (WJC)
214.54* Tanaka (CSKR)

SP Total
96.27 Hanyu (WTT)
93.39 Machida (SA)
88.90 Uno (4CC)
86.28 Mura (NHK)
82.86 Murakami (4CC)
81.38 Kozuka (COR)
76.14 Yamamoto (JGPF)
68.06* Tanaka (CSKR)

SP TES
51.11 Hanyu (GPF)
49.72 Uno (4CC)
49.65 Machida (SA)
46.35 Mura (NHK)
45.43 Murakami (4CC)
43.46 Yamamoto (JGPF)
42.41 Kozuka (COR)
37.06 Tanaka (CdN)

SP PCS
46.29 Hanyu (WTT)
43.74 Machida (SA)
40.85* Kozuka (JC)
40.03 Mura (WTT)
39.18 Uno (4CC)
37.75* Murakami (JC)
34.00* Tanaka (CSKR)
32.68 Yamamoto (JGPF)

FS Total
194.08 Hanyu (GPF)
175.70 Machida (SA)
173.61 Murakami (4CC)
173.29* Kozuka (JC)
173.24 Mura (SC)
167.55 Uno (4CC)
146.48* Tanaka (CSKR)
145.46 Yamamoto (WJC)

FS TES
103.3 Hanyu (GPF)
91.74 Mura (SC)
91.47 Murakami (4CC)
89.92 Uno (4CC)
87.28 Machida (SA)
84.29* Kozuka (JC)
79.44 Yamamoto (WJC)
74.48* Tanaka (CSKR)

FS PCS
93.36 Hanyu (WTT)
89.00* Kozuka (JC)
88.42 Machida (SA)
83.28 Mura (WTT)
82.44 Uno (4CC)
82.14 Murakami (4CC)
72.00* Tanaka (CSKR)
67.80 Yamamoto (JGP Est)

Asterisks for National, non-ISU competitons

Summary: Last season, Japan's Figure Skating suffered from two of their best skaters ever retiring. Takahashi Daisuke and Oda Nobunari. Tatsuki Machida announced his retirement at Japan Nationals 2014 as well, which was a shock to many.

With a depleted field and only 2 spots for the next World Championships, it will be imperative for all skaters to impress all throughout the next season if they want a chance to go to Worlds 2016.

Early Season Highlights:

Shoma and Sota make the JGPF

These two boys had been bubbling under the top placements last season, and have made a breakthrough on the Junior level.
Sota stabilized his triple axel and Shoma his triple axel and a quad toe. With these they were able to make the JGPF.

The 3 M's win Grand Prix Events
The season started with a roar for Machida and Mura as they both won their first Grand prix events in decisive fashion. Machida with 269.09 and Mura with 255.81 points. Murakami then came out of nowhere and won the NHK trophy with a personal best score of 246.07 --Which he would later break again at the 4 Continents Championship.

Amidst all this good news for the Japanese men, Hanyu had had a nightmare start to the season with a back injury and collision at COC. He managed to sneak into the last spot for the GPF.

Mid Season Highlights:

Grand Prix Finals Junior and Senior

Sota and Shoma broke Junior World records in the Short and Long programs respectively and claimed the top two medals. Shoma the gold and Sota the Silver. Shoma attained the highest TSS for a Junior.

Hanyu won the GPF with a significant gap between Gold and Silver, this is his second GPF gold in a row.
He then went on to win Japan Nationals in similar style and Shoma made his presence known in the Senior ranks by grabbing the Silver Medal. Kozuka came back strong in the FS to capture the bronze medal for the second time in a row.

Late Season Highlights:

At Junior Worlds both Shoma and Sota were able to get on the podium once again. Shoma won gold and Sota came from behind to win bronze.

At the World Championships Hanyu was not able to defend his World title, but he battled through surgery and injury to win Silver behind his training mate Javier Fernandez.

Mura was able to regain some of his early season form with a 3rd place finish in the men's segment at the World Team Trophy and Hanyu won the Segment both in the short and long by a significant margin.

Who will you be watching next Season? Who do you think will make the World team?
Is Mura an early season skater only or will he be able to deliver in the latter half as well?
What are Murakami's chances next season and how will he stack up against Mura and Shoma?

Let's discuss!

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you for putting all this together! Reading it, I was reminded of Machida again, and his stellar performances at SA - so now I feel sad all over again....:cry: I just loved his programs, and the command with which he skated them - he impressed me so much, and was, without doubt, my favourite Japanese man of the season... Well, at least we still have Paris - I mean, SA. I miss him, though... (sad sigh)

But I hope his studies are going well, and I wish him the best - and thank him for the lovely performances he gave us.

Sorry, this was probably not what you had in mind! But, I'll be looking forward to reading the input of others with more constructive things to say.:)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Machida is coming back tomorrow for his first skate after his retirement as the first Prince Ice World ice show takes place in Yokohama. :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for the fantastic roundup, Newbie! :) I too miss Machida!

It's such a pity he couldn't stay long enough to go to Worlds. What might have been...

I'd like to compare the stats of the American and Japanese and Russian men sometime. The summer is long. :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
It's such a pity he couldn't stay long enough to go to Worlds. What might have been...

I'd like to compare the stats of the American and Japanese and Russian men sometime. The summer is long. :biggrin:

That sounds like a great idea! I'd love to see that.:)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Thank you for such a useful summary! Shoma and Sota are definitely on their way up, I just hope there is not too much pressure on them to deliver. Though Sota is staying in juniors, right?[I don't know what to expect of Mura and Murakami, the injuries played a big role on Mura's late season performances so hopefully his brilliance at SC was not a one-time thing. Same goes for Murakami at NHK.
Nats is going to be so intense for the spots, we'll see what comes out on top, youth or experience. Whatever the outcome is, I don't think they will have much trouble getting their spots back at Worlds :agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That sounds like a great idea! I'd love to see that.:)

I did the American men here.

I also have been keeping a spreadsheet of the World men's field and hope to do a summary when I have a chance. I been keeping stats all along but just cleaning it up to make it most useful. (I been trying to figure out who to focus on, what scores to include, etc.)

Interspectator

Record Breaker

I also have been keeping a spreadsheet of the World men's field and hope to do a summary when I have a chance. I been keeping stats all along but just cleaning it up to make it most useful. (I been trying to figure out who to focus on, what scores to include, etc.)

Nothing can top your stats and summaries. I'll be looking at these with great interest over the long waiting period before the next season starts. :cheer:

LRK

Record Breaker

I do hope you include Petrov, because... because he's a Favourite of mine. :) ;)

Celine

On the Ice
Mrs. P - thanks for your awesome work.

Did you happen to see the icenetwork article on the website recently launched by US competitor Curran Oi? Where he applied his interests in skating as well as statistical analysis to create a data base of scores which I believe is still building? I believe it is against board rules to post a link to the media source, but might be a helpful resource if you haven't already been perusing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I do hope you include Petrov, because... because he's a Favourite of mine. :) ;)

I did add Petrov! I didn't have him originally cause he's mainly competed as a junior, but I added him at the end of the season.

Mrs. P - thanks for your awesome work.

Did you happen to see the icenetwork article on the website recently launched by US competitor Curran Oi? Where he applied his interests in skating as well as statistical analysis to create a data base of scores which I believe is still building? I believe it is against board rules to post a link to the media source, but might be a helpful resource if you haven't already been perusing.

Yes, Curran's site is great and I will probably use it as part of my research. (Maybe in looking at individual jumps....)