Stinky skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stinky skates

cl2

Final Flight
An intermediate update on my stink-control regiment: I sprayed my locker and skate bag (yes, my bag stunk too!) with Lysol disinfecting spray. During weekdays, I still kept my skates in my locker between practices, but I wipe the interior with a paper towel and I filled a pair of old socks with baking soda to put in my boots. On the weekends I take them home and aired them out. Before putting on my skates, I wipe my feet with wet wipes, which helps because I usually do a mini workout before skating and my feet already sweat before they go into my skates.

So far so good, the stink has abated. My next update will be when my skates smell like roses. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
An intermediate update on my stink-control regiment: I sprayed my locker and skate bag (yes, my bag stunk too!) with Lysol disinfecting spray. During weekdays, I still kept my skates in my locker between practices, but I wipe the interior with a paper towel and I filled a pair of old socks with baking soda to put in my boots. On the weekends I take them home and aired them out. Before putting on my skates, I wipe my feet with wet wipes, which helps because I usually do a mini workout before skating and my feet already sweat before they go into my skates.

So far so good, the stink has abated. My next update will be when my skates smell like roses. ;)

Sounds good but I still wouldn't keep them in the locker that long.

cl2

Final Flight
Sounds good but I still wouldn't keep them in the locker that long.

Point taken. But if I can get away without having to lug my skates 4 days a week through the oldest public transport system in the US, with 2 transfers, weathering the elements, airing them out in the middle of my workplace, and then lugging them back home, and then lugging them back to the rink the next day... :yes:

besti loop

On the Ice
My Edeas were stinky since I bought them, even before I actually wore them :( I can't even describe what it smells like and what's the reason? Leather? Idk, but it's terrible :biggrin:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My Edeas were stinky since I bought them, even before I actually wore them :( I can't even describe what it smells like and what's the reason? Leather? Idk, but it's terrible :biggrin:
Edeas have no leather, all synthetic. Synthetic materials typically have plasticizers and molding compounds that can stink like crazy. They should have been aired out at the factory. If the odor doesn't dissipate over time and totally disappear after several weeks [assuming you store them in the open, not in a closed bag or locker], it could indicate an improper mix during formulation of the material, in which case the material will prematurely deteriorate. So if they still stink strongly after several weeks, I would bring them back to your dealer; at least have it on record in case they fail too soon.

besti loop

On the Ice
Edeas have no leather, all synthetic. Synthetic materials typically have plasticizers and molding compounds that can stink like crazy.

Ohhh, now I see! Plus, I usually store them in a closed bag :palmf: But last night I've finally put them out :laugh: We'll see...

vlaurend

Final Flight
Thin cotton socks are much better than nylon tights in terms of foot odor reduction.