Strain on arches in new skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Strain on arches in new skates

viamarkable

Rinkside
Oh boy. Are you okay with this decision or do you want to jump? Because I can tell you first hand that all the injuries I've had that could be dangerous (back and head injuries) have not come from jumping. That's not to say that ice dance is more dangerous... I know people who have had the same injuries I've had but theirs were from jumps. All of skating is equally dangerous and it all has different impacts on the body. Jumping is not inherently any more dangerous than spinning or ice dance.
I see. my mom barely knows anything abt skating, so i think she just assumed that. I am ok, because it's probably the only way she will let me skate and get a coach.

viamarkable

Rinkside
Oh glory...

Well, I hate to break it to your mom, but the worst injuries rarely come from jumping! In my experience it's usually the completely unexpected falls that cause the worst injuries. When you've taken off into a jump, you're pretty much expecting swift and silent death so you're ready for the impact and it rarely does much damage other than a few bruises to body and ego.
I see. thanks for explaining that! what my mom is most afraid of is likely some double and all triple jumps. Honestly, she's scared to too many things in my opinion 😂

viamarkable

Rinkside
More detailed response:

* One option is to go see a sports podiatrist experienced with figure skates. But that wouldn't be my first recommendation in your instance now: (1) They are hard to find, and (2) Your situation is unstable (you've been off ice for two years, and you're breaking in new boots).

* Any off-the-shelf insole will be hit or miss. It's not viable for an off-the-shelf unit to suit every combination of boots and feet. I know a bunch of people who have used Superfeet Yellow. As expected, there's no consensus: A few love them, a few hate them, and many are, "Eh, they kind of work, I guess." [I just ran into a friend at one rink last week. She just bought a pair, and they made things worse.] I've seen them in two pro shops that specialize in figure skates. Techs there told me the same thing: They work for some people, they don't work for others. There's no way to tell in advance. But be aware that they need to be trimmed to fit your boots. So you can't return them if they don't work. If you decide to go this route, I would recommend that you try the cheapest Superfeet Yellow, not the more advanced (and more expensive) ones. If they don't work, you're out only $35 or so (Amazon price; usually higher at pro shops). One big disadvantage of the Superffeet is that they are an all-in-one unit, combining heel lift, heel cup, and arch support. Many boots already have high heel pitches; adding even more heel lift could be undesirable.

Superfeet also makes advanced insoles that are heat moldable, and even ones that are custom 3D printed. I don't know anyone who's tried them.

* An alternative (not mentioned in the article) is the Riedell R-Fit kit (https://www.ice.riedellskates.com/Catalog/Accessories/R-Fit-Footbeds). Sells for ~$55 on Amazon. This is a modular kit that allows you to vary different components independently (longitudinal arch support, metatarsal arch pad, heel lift, heel wedge). Worked well for one skater I know; didn't work for two others. A more flexible solution than Superfeet, but again you won't know whether any of the components will work for your feet and your boots until you try them.

* I personally use individual arch supports, similar to what WednesdayMarch uses, but by Pedag (https://www.amazon.com/Pedag-Symmet...1?keywords=pedag+step&qid=1639513675&sr=8-1); cost is only ~$11 They come in different sizes, and can be applied at different positions on a flat insole. Out of the box, they use double-sided tape for attachment. That tends to come loose easily, so I don't use the supplied tape, and use Velcro tape instead to attach them to the flat insoles. This allows me to change the position or even swap them out for a different size easily.

You can further customize them with layers of moleskin, moleskin foam, or Velcro tape. Trial and error is needed. The Goldilocks approach: This arch support is too high; this arch support is too low; this arch support is just right. Pedag also makes metatarsal pads and heel wedges, which can also be attached to the same flat insole via Velcro tape: so you can readily swap out components and move them around.

* Hope all this isn't too confusing. If you need clarification, please ask.
OMG THANK YOU
this will be so helpful - it wasn't at all confusing. If I try the ones from riedell, will they work with jackson skates?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I see. thanks for explaining that! what my mom is most afraid of is likely some double and all triple jumps. Honestly, she's scared to too many things in my opinion 😂
TBH, you may not even make it to those jumps, ever. It's rare to get them in the first place and you'd have to be skating since you were say 3 or 4 years old. You're more likely to trip over your toepick just stroking around and injure yourself.

viamarkable

Rinkside
TBH, you may not even make it to those jumps, ever. It's rare to get them in the first place and you'd have to be skating since you were say 3 or 4 years old. You're more likely to trip over your toepick just stroking around and injure yourself.
Yea, its likely, and it's always something i've known. i remember once i was skating with friends (i already knew basic stuff) and i tripped over my toepick. hit my knees pretty hard and probably scared the life out of my mom LOL luckily i wasn't hurt, but i think my mom was super scared from then on

Elija

On the Ice
I once witnessed a girl break her wrist simply standing still. Complete beginner, lost her footing and threw her hands out in from of her. Those unexpected falls are the worst.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: By the way, I recalled we had a previous thread on warm-up exercises to mitigate (or eliminate) arch pain: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/warming-up-the-arches-of-your-feet.69225/#post-1945951.

For me, the Godilocks test worked as follows: tennis balls were too large and too soft; golf balls were too small and too hard; lacrosse balls were just right. I massage my feet (in particular, longitudinal and metatarsal arches) for a few minutes before I leave for the rink and again for a few minutes after I get home. Works great for me. With bare feet, I sit in a chair; place the balls on the floor; place one foot on each ball; and roll my feet around. You adjust the pressure by varying how hard you push down on the balls. The balls are fairly inexpensive; definitely worth a shot. You can also just buy one ball, and do one foot at a time.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
OP: By the way, I recalled we had a previous thread on warm-up exercises to mitigate (or eliminate) arch pain: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/warming-up-the-arches-of-your-feet.69225/#post-1945951.

For me, the Godilocks test worked as follows: tennis balls were too large and too soft; golf balls were too small and too hard; lacrosse balls were just right. I massage my feet (in particular, longitudinal and metatarsal arches) for a few minutes before I leave for the rink and again for a few minutes after I get home. Works great for me. With bare feet, I sit in a chair; place the balls on the floor; place one foot on each ball; and roll my feet around. You adjust the pressure by varying how hard you push down on the balls. The balls are fairly inexpensive; definitely worth a shot. You can also just buy one ball, and do one foot at a time.
Just wanted to add to this to make sure to stretch and roll out your calves as well. Tight calves can cause all sorts of foot pain and a lot of people don’t realize the connection.

viamarkable

Rinkside

Thank you! this will be very helpful

Vicki7

On the Ice
Oh glory...

Well, I hate to break it to your mom, but the worst injuries rarely come from jumping! In my experience it's usually the completely unexpected falls that cause the worst injuries. When you've taken off into a jump, you're pretty much expecting swift and silent death so you're ready for the impact and it rarely does much damage other than a few bruises to body and ego.

Yep. My poor left shoulder got launched into the ice at full speed simply from catching a toe pick gliding forwards about 3 years ago. I’ve also fallen straight backwards somehow while barely moving - cue sore shoulder and neck muscles from stopping my head hitting the ice.

The cross behinds in the Rhythm Blues give me Fear every time, so I wouldn’t say dance is any less risky!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As for pain: Make sure to stretch, massage, and strengthen your feet and ankles. Mobility is more important than flexibility. The whole foot and ankle, not just the parts you have trouble with. Because without strength and mobility, the areas that you have trouble with will become the whole foot.

As for danger: I have never hit my head jumping. I've hit my head twice doing crossovers... literally the most basic skating. Because of those head hits, my mental health issues now have to be medicated. I was mostly fine beforehand. My ADHD and dyslexia got noticeably worse and from what I know, this is mostly permanent.

From jumping, I have stress fractures. Multiple of them. Most people I know are not injured from jumping, and if they are, it is the most minor injuries that I see in skaters: stress fractures and tendinitis. Those are objectively minor injuries.

If I don't hit my head skating now, I'll probably hit it walking to my car after leaving from work on an icy hill. Or I'll break my ankle walking down the stairs and tripping. I broke my wrist walking across the street and slipping on mud when I was nine. Life is so dangerous, I might as well live it how I please.

viamarkable

Rinkside
As for pain: Make sure to stretch, massage, and strengthen your feet and ankles. Mobility is more important than flexibility. The whole foot and ankle, not just the parts you have trouble with. Because without strength and mobility, the areas that you have trouble with will become the whole foot.

As for danger: I have never hit my head jumping. I've hit my head twice doing crossovers... literally the most basic skating. Because of those head hits, my mental health issues now have to be medicated. I was mostly fine beforehand. My ADHD and dyslexia got noticeably worse and from what I know, this is mostly permanent.

From jumping, I have stress fractures. Multiple of them. Most people I know are not injured from jumping, and if they are, it is the most minor injuries that I see in skaters: stress fractures and tendinitis. Those are objectively minor injuries.

If I don't hit my head skating now, I'll probably hit it walking to my car after leaving from work on an icy hill. Or I'll break my ankle walking down the stairs and tripping. I broke my wrist walking across the street and slipping on mud when I was nine. Life is so dangerous, I might as well live it how I please.
I see. i talked to my mom and explained that jumping isnt necesarily more dangerous than everything else, and she basically agreed that i could jump if I want too.