Tanith Belbin = America's Sweetheart | Golden Skate

Tanith Belbin = America's Sweetheart

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
apparently since we don't have a strong leading lady in ladies skating, NBC is using Tanith Belbin as their token skater in their new ads "The Best of Us" for the Olympics.

Just saw one of the ads that feature her. Love teh shorter hair...

just a bit of randomness... I blame my pain meds :rofl:

Spirit

On the Ice
Tanith Belbin is my sweetheart. :love:

Just letting NBC and the rest of America know.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Michelle is great that way. :agree:

As for the ads for the Olympic ice dance team, I think they better start giving Meryl Davis equal face time. :yes:
I agree with this. Also think she is just as beautiful. And a sweetheart as well.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I guess that makes her our exported Canadian Sweetheart.....:biggrin:

I guess that makes her our exported Canadian Sweetheart.....:biggrin:

Belbin is a sweetheart the two countries can happily share. I agree with Mathman that we'll have to put Meryl Davis up there too, though; she's exquisite. And neither of them is any slouch on the ice, either.

i love to skate

Medalist
Belbin is a sweetheart the two countries can happily share. I agree with Mathman that we'll have to put Meryl Davis up there too, though; she's exquisite. And neither of them is any slouch on the ice, either.

I agree Meryl is gorgeous! Canada has our own gorgeous sweethearts in Joannie, Jessica, and Tessa so we won't fight you for Tanith! :laugh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It funny that you should make this thread Tonichelle, I made a thread called "Tanith and Ben: Americas Sweethearts" sometime right before the 2006 games. Great minds think alike I suppose! :laugh:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Michelle is great that way. :agree:

As for the ads for the Olympic ice dance team, I think they better start giving Meryl Davis equal face time. :yes:

Indeedy. If they are smart, they will. And I love Meryl's looks. Charlie's ain't bad either.

jennylovskt

Medalist
They may sense that Sasha Cohen might not be back after all. But the American sweetheart is having teeth problem.:p

herro

On the Ice
I've always thought that Alissa fit the image of a figure skating "American sweetheart" really well. :love:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
America's sweetheart? I just don't know. Not to be negative, but how many Americans know who Tanith is?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting.

They seem to be shifting more to ice dancers and men, which I suppose makes the most sense given they are our top contenders. But then again, Nats is being done on that split weekend thingy so maybe ladies' promo is coming later.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Right now, the men and dancers seem to be the only medal contenders. Both disciplines have a real chance for more than one man/team on the Olympic podium. American pairs are ....... well ....... let's move along.

Right now, the USFSA has a little problem. When the 200,000,000 once-every-four-years American skating fans come out of their caves and turn on their TVs, they will be wondering 2 things ....... Who are the best ladies, and how many of them will earn a medal?

Somehow, the USFSA must gently break the news to all 200,000,000 of them that our ladies have only a slim chance of touching that podium. I am not sure how they will do that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But that's a "problem" that concerns NBC, not the USFS.

I think they're doing the right thing now. Just promote the contenders.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
America's sweetheart? I just don't know. Not to be negative, but how many Americans know who Tanith is?

Enough so that 4 years ago, Tanith was voted the hottest female athlete in an ESPN poll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/features/hottestWomen

They credit her with a million dollar smile. Who knew wisdom teeth were that expensive :)

ITA that the media better crank up some Meryl Davis/Charlie White footage. It was incredibly lame that we have the first ever GPF ice dance champions for the US and all NBC can show is a 30 second clip of them.

Even lamer that they showed about 10 seconds of Shen & Zhao's performance. Meanwhile they showed all 6 of the ladies and 5 of the men.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Hey, I have an idea!! NBC could run some ads featuring Tanith and Meryl WITHOUT their partners. All those 4-year fans would think they are the individual ladies. :rofl: :laugh:

Um .... that is a joke ..... right? :scratch:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bob - this ad that I saw didn't have Ben shown anywhere on it... so in a sense, no it's not a joke.