Three French sports stars die in Argentina helicopter crash | Golden Skate

Three French sports stars die in Argentina helicopter crash

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
In somehow figure skating related news, three athletes from France lost their life today.

Philippe Candeloro was a cast member, but he is ok.

From the BBC

Message from Phillipe's FB page:

Je vous confirme que dans cette terrible tragédie Philippe Candeloro est extrêmement choqué mais sain et sauf...je l'ai eu rapidement après ce drame monstrueux qui a vu la mort de 10 personnes, L'horreur absolue; ALain

I can confirm that in this terrible tragedy philippe candeloro is extremely shocked but safe and sound... I have had it quickly after this drama monstrueux who saw the death of 10 people , the sheer horror ; alain

I must confess I don't really follow sports other than FS, so I didn't know the other names, but I looked them up...2 Olympians, so young...such a shame. :no:

These extreme/adventure reality shows just seem so dangerous. Can the skaters just stick to things like "Dancing With The Stars," please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The poor athletes and crew! :no:
It's really terrible. I wonder if the weather was windy or if there was a cloud?

Plumededragon

Medalist
The poor athletes and crew! :no:
It's really terrible. I wonder if the weather was windy or if there was a cloud?
According to the news, the weather was clear, so it had to be something else. If that's the case, it may concern both helicopter(s) (or one of them?) mechanism.

So sad such tragic event... Philippe was very lucky to have been aboard a different helicopter then those that crashed, he escaped this tragedy.
Sad day for both French Sport and the families and friends of all victims.:cry:

Mia29

On the Ice
According a journalist, Philippe was at 500m and heard the noise (but not saw because he was blindfolded)
I can not imagine how he is psychologically.

The Vastine family lost a daughter two months ago :eek:hwell:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
In somehow figure skating related news, three athletes from France lost their life today.

Philippe Candeloro was a cast member, but he is ok.

From the BBC

Three French sports personalities are among 10 people killed in a helicopter crash in Argentina, the French presidential office confirmed.

Eight French nationals and their two Argentine pilots died when two helicopters collided in La Rioja province in the country's north-west.

Yachtswoman Florence Arthaud, Olympic swimmer Camille Muffat and Olympic boxer Alexis Vastine all perished.

Both helicopters were involved in the filming of TV survival show Dropped.

Prayers and thoughts with the people of France.

Mia29

On the Ice
Philippe is ok physically but he was near the accident with the swimmer Alain Bernard, who didn’t go to the helicopter because of the weight... They can’t talk for the moment, it’s forbidden by the production.

Vastine’s father said he has learned about his son this morning, by the medias! he lost his daughter 2 months ago, that’s why Alexis Vastine was in the game. He wanted to change his ideas

The controversy begins about reality tv in France because there was two deads 2 years ago in Kho Lanta, on the same channel. A contestant died and after being accused of negligence, the doctor of the game had committed suicide a few days after. It's not the same situation for me and I don't know how we can say that tf1 is guilty for the 10 deaths.

edit : sorry to talked about this in the french skaters topic :frown: Sometime, I'm lost and I don't know if I can open topic

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
The video of the accident is weird. Looks lite one of the pilot lost control of the helicopter and went in to the path of the second one.

So sad about the boxer and his sister, to their father to lost both childs so soon, I have no words.

Mia29

On the Ice
Philippe has just been interviewed on TV with Alain Bernard (first time since the crash). He looks devastated, he had the head of someone who cried for a long time. I don't like the commentator but it was shocking to see him like that...:cry:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Phjilippe has just been interviewed on TV with Alain Bernard (first time since the crash). He looks devastated, he had the head of someone who cried for a long time. I don't like the commentator but it was shocking to see him like that...:cry:

I can't imagine the shock and trauma - one minute you're working on a fun project with all of these people, the next minute they're gone, and how scary must it have been to be blindfolded (although I guess seeing it might have even been worse). And it could have been any of them in that copter. He always seemed like such an easygoing man and I'm sure this will affect him probably forever. :no:

mnm464

On the Ice
So saddening. Although that is lucky for Phillipe and the others. Such a nice, funny guy. Rest in peace to those who lost their life and my condolences to their families.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Horrible news. My condolences to all the families who lost loved ones. Philippe & the others who didn't lose their lives must be so traumatized by this tragedy. :eek::cry:

Mia29

On the Ice
Philippe should return to France in the coming hours. He, Bernard and Longo (who was also present next the crash) are expected Saturday morning in Paris. Witnesses of the crash (sportmen and production) wished to return to France together