Upgrading from Overture | Golden Skate

Upgrading from Overture

cozycactus

Spectator
Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade from the edea overture and I am just looking for thoughts from more experienced skaters before I head to a fitter/pro shop in a few weeks.

My background: I am 29, 5'7" and around 130 pounds. I have been skating for about 2 years more ~seriously~, excluding the year off from COVID. I am an ex-ballet dancer (15 years of high-level dance) & a long distance runner so I have strong legs, really deep knee bends/edges, decent spins (can get all the way down in a bullet spin & am working on variations, etc.), and am working quickly through my single jumps now that my rink is back open and I am able to have lessons again.

When I first started, I had no guidance and was unfortunately in really ill-fitting jackson mystiques for FAR too long (over a year). This really hindered my progress at the beginning, and I lived in an area where the nearest pro shop was multiple states away. When I finally got a coach, she wanted me out of those boots ASAP, and as a very athletic & fairly tall adult skater, she advised me to get something around the level of the chorus with coronation ace blades. However, when I finally got to the pro shop, they did not have my size—so I ended up with the overture & coronation ace, which was still a huge upgrade from the mystiques and I quickly started making significant headway in my skating. (I know I could have ordered boots online, but I was still really ignorant about my size, and what a well-fitting skate should "feel" like. It was the first time I had tried on anything outside of the mystiques—I now have a much better idea about how I want them to fit.)

The overture was acceptable at first, but no longer felt supportive after about four or five months—which was what my coach was concerned about and why she initially wanted me to get the chorus. I've been stuck skating on these increasingly unsupportive boots for a while now, but I am about to move to an area for a doctoral program with many more rinks & pro shops, so it's made sense to wait until I've arrived in my new city before dealing with the boot situation.

As my coach had recommended the chorus for my level & physicality a while ago, she now wants me to be in something stiffer in hopes that the boot will last me quite a bit longer. I have a very narrow foot and edea seems to fit me really well, so she's suggested the ice fly or concerto.

In my new city, I will be skating much more than I am currently—likely four or five sessions a week. Cost IS a factor because I will be in graduate school and am looking for boots that will last me at least 1.5 years—I am ready to pay what I need to now to get the right boot, but I'm not going to be able to afford to replace them in under a year again.

I am concerned about getting something like the chorus and them not holding up for very long, especially with my increase in ice time and jump progression. At the same time, I also absolutely don't want to be *that* person who is in ice flies & shouldn't be. Yet, I know it can be a different situation for adults, and sometimes getting a slightly stiffer boot than the rated "skill levels" makes more sense for a variety of reasons. I will definitely try the concerto as well, and am certainly open to trying other brands besides edea (hoping to try risport)—I am really not set on anything in particular, I just need something that will work for my narrow foot & not break down in under a year.

I do trust my coach as she knows my skating best (& she definitely does not have any monetary ties to edea or anything), but new skates are definitely no small purchase, so I thought I'd ask! Thank you all in advance for any advice :)

Elija

On the Ice
You should be fine in either concerto or ice fly (they are not that different in terms of stiffness - both rated for triples and quads) if you already have all your singles. I know a lot of people actually find concerto stiffer due to the more traditional construction compared to ice fly (which is why a lot of pairs skaters wear them concerto). However they’re also cheaper than ice flys which could be a plus.

when you say working through single jumps, do you mean you can do them all proficiently? Or just learning? Cause if just learning, I would say chorus would be ok for a year or so, but if your singles are solid, go up to concerto or ice fly - I learned that the hard way. I got chorus as an adult skater smaller than you (had solid/big singles at the time) and they were breaking down after 6 months. Got ice flys after that and they were great. Also depends how many hours a week you’re skating. Whichever you get, make sure the width is right, if your feet are narrow you might need a B width.

also of note, I believe edea are meant to be coming out with a new boot (think it’s called the verve) between chorus and ice fly, but as far as I’m aware it’s still not available. Might be worth asking your pro shop about though! :)

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Given how you describe your knee bend, and the frequency you plan to skate weekly, I would not expect Ice Flies to last you 1.5 years, but you might get lucky. You just shouldn't expect it. Unfortunately it's pretty common for skaters with strong knee bends to have to replace their skates every year.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade from the edea overture and I am just looking for thoughts from more experienced skaters before I head to a fitter/pro shop in a few weeks.

My background: I am 29, 5'7" and around 130 pounds. I have been skating for about 2 years more ~seriously~, excluding the year off from COVID. I am an ex-ballet dancer (15 years of high-level dance) & a long distance runner so I have strong legs, really deep knee bends/edges, decent spins (can get all the way down in a bullet spin & am working on variations, etc.), and am working quickly through my single jumps now that my rink is back open and I am able to have lessons again.

When I first started, I had no guidance and was unfortunately in really ill-fitting jackson mystiques for FAR too long (over a year). This really hindered my progress at the beginning, and I lived in an area where the nearest pro shop was multiple states away. When I finally got a coach, she wanted me out of those boots ASAP, and as a very athletic & fairly tall adult skater, she advised me to get something around the level of the chorus with coronation ace blades. However, when I finally got to the pro shop, they did not have my size—so I ended up with the overture & coronation ace, which was still a huge upgrade from the mystiques and I quickly started making significant headway in my skating. (I know I could have ordered boots online, but I was still really ignorant about my size, and what a well-fitting skate should "feel" like. It was the first time I had tried on anything outside of the mystiques—I now have a much better idea about how I want them to fit.)

The overture was acceptable at first, but no longer felt supportive after about four or five months—which was what my coach was concerned about and why she initially wanted me to get the chorus. I've been stuck skating on these increasingly unsupportive boots for a while now, but I am about to move to an area for a doctoral program with many more rinks & pro shops, so it's made sense to wait until I've arrived in my new city before dealing with the boot situation.

As my coach had recommended the chorus for my level & physicality a while ago, she now wants me to be in something stiffer in hopes that the boot will last me quite a bit longer. I have a very narrow foot and edea seems to fit me really well, so she's suggested the ice fly or concerto.

In my new city, I will be skating much more than I am currently—likely four or five sessions a week. Cost IS a factor because I will be in graduate school and am looking for boots that will last me at least 1.5 years—I am ready to pay what I need to now to get the right boot, but I'm not going to be able to afford to replace them in under a year again.

I am concerned about getting something like the chorus and them not holding up for very long, especially with my increase in ice time and jump progression. At the same time, I also absolutely don't want to be *that* person who is in ice flies & shouldn't be. Yet, I know it can be a different situation for adults, and sometimes getting a slightly stiffer boot than the rated "skill levels" makes more sense for a variety of reasons. I will definitely try the concerto as well, and am certainly open to trying other brands besides edea (hoping to try risport)—I am really not set on anything in particular, I just need something that will work for my narrow foot & not break down in under a year.

I do trust my coach as she knows my skating best (& she definitely does not have any monetary ties to edea or anything), but new skates are definitely no small purchase, so I thought I'd ask! Thank you all in advance for any advice :)
I agree with @MCsAngel2 that with your knee bend (hello deep knee bend former dancer/singles skater here), you will not have boots last that long.

You can look at the ice fly (and you will know that I don't just recommend them to anyone) because of your needs, foot narrowness and you're an adult. But I would also have you look at Risport Royal Pro and RF1Elite. Do not go any higher than RF1Elite. I am in the top boot and have been training since I was very young and do triple triples. You do not need anything that strong. I hesitate that you would even need RF1Elite but I'm putting it on the table as a maybe for you.

I will say, that while reading your boot needs that Harlick boots would be perfect for you.

Pair any of these with a Gold Seal or Gold Star blade and you should be good for awhile.

Good luck! :cool:

If you should need anything else, my inbox is always open.