US Commentators | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Commentators

isk82

On the Ice
I really like Andrea Joyce. Scott was more toned down than in the past, but my husband's comment was (after seeing three skaters) "Does he say that for every skater?" The comment about how tired their legs are in the last 3:30 of the program (a bit of an exaggeration on my part about the time).

indicatoto101

On the Ice
I've never had a problem with Bezic (partly because she recognized Shizuka's talent and called her the most talented ladies at the Olympics) but Scott Hamilton needs to save most of his commenting for the replay or during the skater's warmup. He talks WAY too much, and it distracts from the skaters' performances.

mskater93

Record Breaker
My biggest complaint is that the NBC team needs a spotter the same as they have for basketball and football to make the announcers look like they know what's going on. Basically they baffled the casual fan with scores because no one mentioned that this specific feature gained a skater levels in spins, steps, and spirals AND they never called the downgrades real time (which to the casual fan looks clean). My best friend was watching with some of her other friends and pointed out Zhang's UR on the toe loop real time. They didn't quite understand because Scott didn't mention anything until long later. My husband was watching with me and I pointed out Nagasu's UR (and she had a couple more that were borderline that I pointed out) and they didn't mention that either!! My husband asked how I could tell and I showed him what to watch for with Flatt's 3T.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's an excellent, excellent suggestion. I'm sure that there are a lot of skaters and exskaters that could do the job and would like the extra money.

sillylionlove

Medalist
While I miss Dick, Peggy and Terry, I don't find Scott or Sandra too annoying.

Personally I really like the non commentary portion that they showed on Universal Sports.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
but, see, we're 'diehard fans' so we like no commentary

my mom doesn't know what she's watching and doesn't like it when they don't talk... so there's a fine line that every sport has to deal with between the diehards who know the ins and outs possibly better than the 'experts' and the casual fan.

I think once skaters like Evan or Johnny or other CoP experienced skaters start to retire and dont tour full time we'll see a new wave of commentators because 6.0 skaters just don't get it all the time....

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
There's no doubt they all have their stock phrases; even the mellifluous P.J. Wong tends to attribute every mistake to "loss of concentration," but I do want a commentator to have a pleasant and not annoying voice, and to not talk all the time.

You know who I actually liked from the past? Someone who, like Terry Gannon, never had anything to do with skating other than sportscasting but took the time to do his homework and learn some good things to say? Jim McKay. Honestly, I think at least a few times he was in the booth with Dick, and definitely with Peggy, and I usually found his comments the best. I think maybe I've said this in another thread, but I swear there were a few times when he'd explain a jump and say "watch for a back outside edge" or whatever. Basic stuff to a skater but that's the kind of stuff that I think is informative to a non-skater, not obvious things like "tired legs" vs. "fresh legs."

No commentator is perfect, but again, with declining ratings for skating overall in the US, why NOT try something different, starting with a new broadcast team?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in the case of McKay and Gannon they went to school specifically for broadcasting/television/public communications...

the 'experts' they work(ed) with rarely take even one class much less go to school for it. you have the same 'problem' with all of the major sports...

and I highly doubt the ratings tanking have anything to do with who is commentating. Scott Hamilton is still well known in the US when it comes to skating... Sandra Besic, not so much, but she and Tracy have both been on US tv giving their opinions for so long they remain comfortable to average joe audiences

Linny

Final Flight
New drinking game

Everyone in the room has to take a shot whenever Tom Hammond mispronounces a skater's name. In the pairs competition, I noticed
"Ray na Inoe" and "Koy yo ko Ina".

Anyone get any others?

Linny

just wondering

On the Ice
I think we should have our own "kate" and other amazing PBPers like "doris," deliver feed directly to a screen in front of the sportscaster or in an earbud. This way the on camera person would have quality, technically-relevant comments to share. Would likely help the common observer, especially during replay of jumps, spins etc . . . Plus, it would keep us from being quite so annoyed. :yes: JW.

emma

Record Breaker
I really miss Terry Gannon.

What bothers me most is the commentators haven't figured out that 'formula' for explaining what's happening - i still think there's a way to just call elements, but basically be relatively quiet (with the exception of WOW or oh no) during the program, and intelligently recapping/summing up the overall program while waiting for scores.

Having said that, Scott and Sandra were ok; i'm interested in knowing what others think about their comments on Weir and Worlds - they both thought it a 'no brainer' to send him, what do you think about there position?

ETA - and yeah, what just wondering said!

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Although I admire Scott as a person, I find his commentating annoying and way over the top. I prefer Tracy Wilson's style.

I recall the good things happen to geood people coming from Scott all the way back to 1998 when he said that about Chen................

Bezic was low key - what is her skating background? For some reason I cannot recall anything other than a choreographer?

Scott thought Weir should have gotten the 3rd spot on the US team..........

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sandra was a successful pairs champion in canada with her brother. ladskater did a nice little write up about them in a thread this past week.

and intelligently recapping/summing up the overall program while waiting for scores.

unfortunately, that's where the commercials go. Which, I think, is why we have so much commentary during the actual performance. They want to make sure they get everything said.

just wondering

On the Ice
Maybe broadcasts could employ a subtle graphic's info update in the top of the screen, like football does for score, yardage, etc . . ., to indicate the jump, spin or footwork that was just completed. Maybe it could even include the base points.

The graphic could then fade until the next element. This would allow the commentary to be more limited and include remarkable notations like a very well done jump that might receive higher goes, for example. JW

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
problem is you miss something going on on the ice when you're reading.

ks777

Record Breaker
I want to see Tonya Harding and Oksana Baiul do commentating for a change. I think these ladies can bring some excitment to figure skating!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
speaking of Tonya... did they use a clip of her in the opening? The little graphic with different past and present skaters... I thought sure it was her... but dad said it was Roz Sumners.

icedancedevotee

Rinkside
I want to see Tonya Harding and Oksana Baiul to do commentating for a change. I think these ladies can bring some excitment to figure skating!

I think that's a great idea! It would sure bring in ratings, if for no other reason than people would be looking for a train wreck. As for Tonya, I think she's gone through enough in her life, skating and personally, that she would be not only informative, but compassionate. I doubt she'd make some of the inane comments that today's commentators are prone to.

I just imagine Oksana being like Peggy Fleming, though--never saying ANYTHING even REMOTELY negative/cocnstructive, and that got on my nerves with Peggy, big time.

just wondering

On the Ice
problem is you miss something going on on the ice when you're reading.

I'm not really sure if you would actually miss something. The process of taking in that tidbit of info is pretty quick. If the graphic displayed Triple Lutz and then faded away, I don't think it takes a significant amount of time to read that and many tv sports fans are accustom to using peripheral vision to pick up additional info on the crawl or elsewhere on the screen. Overtime, even the fans not familiar with the correct terms would be able to recognize the words with little effort, rather than reading them. Like sight words for children. Long term fans wouldn't really be reading the words, anyway. We would be double checking what we thought we saw.

Not sure if it makes sense, but I'd love to see it tried, if for no other reason than to do something new in an attempt to advance the audience's understanding of what it happening on the ice, without excessive commentating.

I agree, however, that I wouldn't want a lot of info disseminated this way. Would be far too distracting! Just the skeletal bases.