Virtue and Moir talk about possible retirement | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir talk about possible retirement

herios

Medalist
There is nothing new in this article. This is what they always said, they have made no plans beyond Vancouver. And I certainly understand that. When you accomplish such a goal, you need some time to digest. They have had not much time, as they went back to training almost immediately. Look at Lysacek. he is in interviews left and right. Instead of that, V/M are training...That is very difficult, to refocus and get back into the bootcamp. Give them some time to take a breather and they will think more clearly.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If V/M win Worlds 2010, I think they will retire. Having achieved every goal they set for themselves, they will be ready to reap the rewards.

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
If V/M win Worlds 2010, I think they will retire. Having achieved every goal they set for themselves, they will be ready to reap the rewards.

Rewards will be a good part of it but seriously how can anyone continue to sacrifice everything and push every day if there are no real goals to push toward?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would think that V/M look forward to living more 'normal' lives without having to train new programs and practice day in and day out. Also, the Junior team Ilinykh/Katsalapov will probably move up to Senior and be challenging for World gold within the next quadrennial. As 2014 Olympics will be in Russia, I/K will have the home ice advantage.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
They are only 20 and 22, and I hope that they stick around.
But I will 100% support them, should they choose retirement.

npa

Match Penalty
I cant understand, why journalists post - end of the patnership. I thought they could skate in shows. Or they talk they stop skating at all?

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
My favorites are dropping like flies :( Evan, Ryan, Belbin/Agosto, Shen/Zhao, and now Virtue/Moir...... all my favorite ladies left a while ago......

herios

Medalist
I cant understand, why journalists post - end of the patnership. I thought they could skate in shows. Or they talk they stop skating at all?

They said NOTHING. Why we have to read between the lines? They said they will nned a break, Tessa wants to go to a beach somewhere:)
They will think it over and make up their mind through the tours they will have suring spring. By May we will know. I hate to speculate for nothing. They don't know it either.

herios

Medalist
Rewards will be a good part of it but seriously how can anyone continue to sacrifice everything and push every day if there are no real goals to push toward?

Seriously, how could? Why could Gri / Pla do it, staying on top for 5 years and winning along 4 WC and 2 OG? And mind you they were a lot older when they did it, than Tessa and Scott.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Seriously, how could? Why could Gri / Pla do it, staying on top for 5 years and winning along 4 WC and 2 OG? And mind you they were a lot older when they did it, than Tessa and Scott.

They were great, no question, but I think that back then, the judging also made it less challenging for them to stay on top.
Example: the glaring error in their compulsory at 98 Nagano still put them in 1st after that segment (if I remember correctly).
Yeah, even so, their accomplishments are quite amazing.

herios

Medalist
They were great, no question, but I think that back then, the judging also made it less challenging for them to stay on top.
Example: the glaring error in their compulsory at 98 Nagano still put them in 1st after that segment (if I remember correctly).
Yeah, even so, their accomplishments are quite amazing.
Well., you are correct. Oksana put a foot down in the Golden Waltz, where she should have hold it. Look, my point is, when people say they could reap the rewards of their title...I have to ask doing WHAT? Skating in SOI ? Disson shows? Either of those would be a major letdown as far as I am concerned. Is there anything else in NA to skate outside of eligible world? Not so much. Main point I have is there never was an Olympic and world champion team in the last 40 years (since I am watching) a team this young to retire. Not even close. If they are choosing to quit skating altogether, then I understand. They could have other professional path we don't know about they would like to pursue hey should move on. But to continue skating in lame shows for skaters with such a talent at their age would be a total waste, of all the work they put in it so far. They could create a lot more before they call the end. We shall see how they decide. My feeling is they are tired now mentally and need to take a summer off, without stressing themselvesand think it through. They look uncertain and undecided what to do, thusfar. It is their life after all.

Last edited:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Well., you are correct. Oksana put a foot down in the Golden Waltz, where she should have hold it. Look, my point is, when people say they could reap the rewards of their title...I have to ask doing WHAT? Skating in SOI ? Disson shows? Either of those would be a major letdown as far as I am concerned. Is there anything else in NA to skate outside of eligible world? Not so much. Main point I have is there never was an Olympic and world champion team in the last 40 years (since I am watching) a team this young to retire. Not even close. If they are choosing to quit skating altogether, then I understand. They could have other professional path we don't know about they would like to pursue hey should move on. But to continue skating in lame shows for skaters with such a talent at their age would be a total waste, of all the work they put in it so far. They could create a lot more before they call the end. We shall see how they decide. My feeling is they are tired now mentally and need to take a summer off, ewiothout stressing themselvesand think it through. They look uncertain and undecided what to do, thusfar. It is their life after all.

I totally agree!
In the end, it will be their decision, and whatever they decide to do, I will support it, but it will surely be a shame if we didn't get to see more of what they could offer.

npa

Match Penalty
They said NOTHING. Why we have to read between the lines? They said they will nned a break, Tessa wants to go to a beach somewhere:)
They will think it over and make up their mind through the tours they will have suring spring. By May we will know. I hate to speculate for nothing. They don't know it either.

Yes, they said nothing, but at all articles journalists start with "retiement", "stop patnership"/
But Tessa and Scott didnt said nothing about this. Will waite

Wicked

Final Flight
I'd like to see them keep skating. Based on these interviews, it really sounds like they don't know what they want to do. And why should they? They're young, they just won the Olympics, and they should take their time figuring out what to do with their lives.

herios

Medalist
Yes, they said nothing, but at all articles journalists start with "retiement", "stop patnership"/
But Tessa and Scott didnt said nothing about this. Will waite
The journalists have a job to do, to grab attention with sensational titles and headlines. I can't blame them either when they twist and turn a sentence making buzz with it. Here is another "version" of the article, following their conference call, this putting the accent on their indecision and not possible retirement in the title:http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=314656

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Perhaps they will want to start a skating tour of their own! T&D did it. And the time to do it is immediately following the Olympic year. Perhaps, they will resuscitate pro skating, something I'd love to see.

herios

Medalist
For the Ice dance fans of V/M and the others nonetheless, I am relieved to report that we just had an interview with Tessa and Scott done by Tracy Wilson and hse asked them what thye would like to do in the future in skating? Being not specific in what environment, but Tessa said they would like to experiment different type of styles, music and push ice dancing forward. So we shall see them going forward, I don't care where, but they will KEEP ON DANCING, that is what is important.