Wang and Liu's potential | Golden Skate

Wang and Liu's potential

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shiyue Wang and Xinyu Liu finished in fifth place (158.21) in their fifth appearance at this event, improving on their seventh place finish from last year.

“Overall, I think it’s great, especially in technical parts,” said Wang, “but we still have to strengthen our emotions in the performance. What we gained from this competition is that we can listen to coaches’ and judges’ suggestions and we can correct them next time. I think every competition is an opportunity to gain experience.”

“Our presentation score is not enough and we will pay more attention on that,” added Liu. “Luckily, we got our season’s best, and before the Olympics, we will keep taking care of the details of (the) performance and correct the problems which (we) found in this competition.”

More...

If they could spend a year working with another coach, who do you think could bring out the potential in this team?

Last edited:

StormyCloudss

On the Ice
Surprise of the event for me! I've been sleeping on this team.

According to their ISU bios they're working with Guiyu Huang in Changchun. While I appreciate the desire to build a strong dance program from within, as they have done with pairs, I'm not entirely sure that will be possible. I can't find any mention of their coach in any sort of ice dancing competition and that might just be me and my English search engine, but I really think you need experience as an ice dancer to really be able to coach ice dance well, for the most part. Also, pairs skating feels way more straightforward in terms of elements (not that it's easier!) whereas the intricacy of the patterns in ice dance really require some top notch technical expertise paired with artistic experience, and I'm not sure China has someone that can fulfill both, especially given the time limit if their goal is to strengthen the program before the Beijing Winter Olympics. They have brought in foreign choreographers (Pasquale, and Shae Zukiwsky?) but I really think they'd benefit from spending a few years with a foreign coach with tons of experience. Zueva, maybe, if she has space after this quad?

Obviously, this is all speculation and I'm just an armchair commentator. I am very interested to see if they make any drastic coaching changes. I'm not sure I can think of any top Chinese skater(s,) singles, pairs, or ice dance that don't train in China. It's something to keep tabs on, none the less.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... They have brought in foreign choreographers (Pasquale, and Shae Zukiwsky?) but I really think they'd benefit from spending a few years with a foreign coach with tons of experience. Zueva, maybe, if she has space after this quad?

Obviously, this is all speculation and I'm just an armchair commentator. I am very interested to see if they make any drastic coaching changes. I'm not sure I can think of any top Chinese skater(s,) singles, pairs, or ice dance that don't train in China. It's something to keep tabs on, none the less.

Wang/Liu train in Detroit with Camerlengo as coach.

Full time or nearly full time, I believe? Although not indicated on their bio.

And I'm not sure going how far back, but for example, here is an article from Feb 2017:

ETA:
Don't know to what extent Krylova is involved in addition to Camerlengo. I believe at some comps, both are with Wang/Liu in the Kiss and Cry.
IIRC, Camerlengo almost always is with W/L in the K and C -- unless he needs to be prepping another dance couple at the same comp who belong to him.​

Wang/Liu are one of my favorite dance couples. Love their FD especially. Can't wait to see it at the Olympics :yay:.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My understanding is that Anjelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo did some choreo for them in the past, but were not actually the coach(es)?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My understanding is that Anjelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo did some choreo for them in the past, but were not actually the coach(es)?

Anecdotally, FWIW:

- In today's commentary, Charlie White (who knows something about Detroit and ice dance ;)) happened to make mention that Wang/Liu train in Detroit. (Charlie did not refer to Camerlengo by name, IIRC. But did not make mention of any other training location for them.)

- Adding to the above-mentioned article referring to Camerlengo as W/L's coach at 2017 Asian Winter Games in Sapporo, Wang's Instagram shows Camerlengo wearing a Team China jacket there with them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ9PO8uhO06/?taken-by=shiyue_wang21 (Feb 2017; scroll/swipe to third photo)​

- Camerlengo was the only coach with W/L in the Kiss and Cry at 2017 Finlandia Trophy:

- Ditto for 2017 Coupe de Nice:

(I am surprised that W/L's bio does not say that they train in Detroit with Camerlengo as coach, and cannot explain why it does not.)

gmyers

Record Breaker
It wouldn’t be surprising at all to see them medal contenders in Beijing! Now is the time for Chinese ice dance to rise so china can win gold in team event. They are training in Detroit so you know they are serious. Few of any successful dancers don’t have North American involvement in their teaMs. Not having North Americans involved is jUst so crazy weird!

Eclair

Medalist
I really enjoy the choreography Camerlengo did with them and their performances, but they still have a long way to go in terms of speed and technicals. Did you guys see their exhibition earlier this season? I thought Liu was rivaling Cizeron in handsomeness with his bare-arms shirt:

https://youtu.be/FBd1Wd1IdTM?t=64