Went to SOI tonight | Golden Skate

Went to SOI tonight

amykaren

On the Ice
Alexei pretty much stole the show. He has major star quality. He skated so well-whatever injury he had it appears to be gone.

Todd was really good too-not in his first number, he double all his jumps but the second number was great, the whole package.

I had major hopes after hearing everyone rave about this year-and I have to say it was my least favorite. :sheesh: There were good moments-like the guys taking off the work clothes and skating-that was a fun number. I just didn't enjoy the show that much this year.

Oksana was MIA and it wasn't announced why. Paul Wylie and Ekaterina were the quest stars. They both did 2 numbers. Paul got lots and lots of response from the audience-like Scott Hamilton always gets. Ekaterina was wonderful-her first number was with a scarf and the second was a very pretty love romance like number.

There were alot of really good skates-I just didn't feel like the theme was all that. Thought it was stupid and not very exciting.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I saw the Omaha show a couple of months ago, and other than Alexei's Cheap Trick program, I thought the show was fairly dull. Someone needed to make sure that there weren't seven ballads in a row. I don't care how good the skaters are, after about TWO slow numbers, you've got to pick up the pace, and they didn't.

On the other hand, my mom thought the show was fabulous, so what do I know?

Glad you got to see it, though.

Laura :)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Wow, I am sorry you didn't enjoy the show. I think this year's show is one of the best ones I've seen (and I've actually seen it three times in the last two weeks too, LOL). I think the theme really works and there isn't a weak link in the cast. I really enjoy everyone in the cast, they all have wonderful programs this year. I guess to each his own though! :eek:

FYI: Oksana was never scheduled to be a guest start for the Grand Rapids show. It was always going to be Paul and Katia (and they were also at the Cincy show on Friday night). That was posted at the official SOI board early in the season. I think Paul and Katia will now finish out the tour as the guest skaters. Not sure where you got that info but Oksana was never scheduled to be there to the best of my knowledge. :eek:

Vash01

Medalist
amykaren said:

Oksana was MIA and it wasn't announced why. Paul Wylie and Ekaterina were the quest stars. They both did 2 numbers. Paul got lots and lots of response from the audience-like Scott Hamilton always gets. Ekaterina was wonderful-her first number was with a scarf and the second was a very pretty love romance like number.

There were alot of really good skates-I just didn't feel like the theme was all that. Thought it was stupid and not very exciting.

SOI has two guest skaters in each performance. Here in Phoenix Oksana and Kurt had those two spots. It sounds like Paul & Katia were the guests in your city. Oksana has improved from what we had seen for the last 4-5 years, but she no longer has the great positions she was once known for. I liked her first number (Jennifer Lopez) but not the Swan Lake number. The choreography for SL was borrowed from her 94 exhibition skated to The Swan (Saint Saens) . It did not fit. JMHO. She does have more power in her skating though, compared to 95-96. It was good to see her happy.

I too did not care for the Time theme, and the group numbers, although SOI always has the group numbers. I have learned to tolerate them.

For me the highlight was 'Let me Fall' by Elena and Anton. They were wonderful. Their throws are bigger now, and the program is a masterpiece choreographically.

Yagudin was great in 'Memorial'. I did not care for his second number. Todd was very good in both numbers.

Vash

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
KwanFan1212 said:
Wow, I am sorry you didn't enjoy the show. I think this year's show is one of the best ones I've seen (and I've actually seen it three times in the last two weeks too, LOL). I think the theme really works and there isn't a weak link in the cast. I really enjoy everyone in the cast, they all have wonderful programs this year. I guess to each his own though! :eek:

FYI: Oksana was never scheduled to be a guest start for the Grand Rapids show. It was always going to be Paul and Katia (and they were also at the Cincy show on Friday night). That was posted at the official SOI board early in the season. I think Paul and Katia will now finish out the tour as the guest skaters. Not sure where you got that info but Oksana was never scheduled to be there to the best of my knowledge. :eek:

I'm with Heather on this one! We've been attending SOI since 1993, and we thoroughly enjoyed this one, so much so that we attended three shows (Philly, Trenton, Atlantic City) three nights in a row! I wished our local shows were more spaced out in time, since we now have to wait until next year, but like they say, you've got to strike while the iron is hot.

amykaren

On the Ice
Thanks for clearing up about Oksana. I thought she was a principal skater, not a guest.

I forgot to add last night that Jamie & David and Anton & Elena were faboulous also. I don't know why I felt the show wasn't the best with so many great skates. Maybe I was a little off last night LOL:eek: .

I think anyone who isn't a member of the SOI board was confused about who the guest stars were at each show. Maybe SOI needs to advertise it clearer if they have guest stars in the future.
But, I'm with everyone who said the show was great this year. I LOVE the group numbers, that is why I prefer SOI over COI, even tho I enjoy both and go to both every year.

Last edited:

andrealm

Rinkside
I was at last night's show in grand rapids. I loved it (except it seemed short). I may not be the best person to ask because this was my first time that I was on the ice level so I was really awestruck. The skater's could have been on their butts the whole time and I would have thought it was great!!
:D :laugh: :love:

Rixis

On the Ice
Oh, I really enjoyed SoI this year, and I agree that Alexei was the best part. I screamed like a nutcase for him and ended up with a sore throat the next day ^^ But, we could have either went to see SoI or CoI and I chose CoI but we got these tickets for free so of course I had fun :p

Vash01

Medalist
NJSk8Fan said:
I think anyone who isn't a member of the SOI board was confused about who the guest stars were at each show. Maybe SOI needs to advertise it clearer if they have guest stars in the future.
But, I'm with everyone who said the show was great this year. I LOVE the group numbers, that is why I prefer SOI over COI, even tho I enjoy both and go to both every year.

The SOI program has listed all the guests who will be performing, but the dates/locations are published elsewhere. The best thing will be to check with the local advertising agencies. I found out from the local newspaper that Oksana and Kurt will be performing in Phoenix.

MinnMan

Rinkside
SOI

I, we saw the show in St Paul, MN, and it was great. I think Todd skated very good and he got the standing ovation.

Hi, Andrealm, thanks for joining us at Golden Skate! I'll be seeing the Detroit show soon.

Holland is my favorite town in the state. I try to get over for the tulip festival each year. Hope College is very active in the field of mathematical education at the post-secondary level, so I am over in that part of the state every now and then.

Mathman:)

andrealm

Rinkside
Thank you for the welcome Mathman. I grew up in the detroit area. Mostly Rochester Hills. I graduated there right before I moved to Cheboygan and lived there 3 years. My heart is always in Rochester though because I have so many friends there.

amykaren

On the Ice
andrealm: Welcome to golden skate! I was sitting in the upper level for the first time so maybe that made the difference too. You are so lucky to be that close!

Mathman-My grandma lives in Holland and I have always wanted to move there. The beaches are second to none. I love summer in Michigan! I can't wait to hit the beach again!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PrincessLeppard said:
I saw the Omaha show a couple of months ago, and other than Alexei's Cheap Trick program, I thought the show was fairly dull. Laura :)
I saw the same show and anything with Alexei is good to me. I do agree however that the transitions were a little nerve-racking. I really enjoyed most of the skating and of course I love Alexei's memorial program. It was strong, powerful and filled with passion.

I think the highlight of the show was knowing that Princess Leppard was wearing hot pink slacks.

Dee

Dee, when you highlighted hot pink slacks like that I thought it was a link I could click on and see a picture!

Mathman;)