What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it was a triumphant farewell to good taste.

Priceless -- that's gotta be one of the best lines of the day! :rofl: :points:

Speaking as a musician, my gut reaction to Adelina's program was that she didn't have any connection to the music at all. Come to think of it, that's unusual, considering that Russians emphasize ballet so much in their training (wish US skaters would do more of that).

In contrast, Virtue/Moir are so wonderful at relating to and interpreting their music that it's almost uncanny.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
It truely is a bullying thread, just like the other scrore thread currently active.

At least Adelina's spiral is better looking than Kim's with nice extention and pointed toes.

Don't just whine. Enlighten us, if you did understand the theme, and praise Adelina, if you liked her program/performance. I am mystified by the fact that those apparently pulling for Adelina has nothing good to say about her. You just keep repeating "she won fairly and squarely" or "her program was more difficult technically." Gotta change the tack. Btw I am the one who started the "other score thread" and you're welcome to say the scores you see appropriate.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
"Theme" is so subjective, when really it's just skating with interpretation.

What was Mao's theme to Piano Concerto 2? What was Arakawa's theme? What was Ito's theme when she won Worlds? What was Hughes' theme when she won in SLC?

Not every skate has to be a story.

And on that note, not every thread has to be another anti-Sotnikova tirade.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
"Theme" is so subjective, when really it's just skating with interpretation.

What was Mao's theme to Piano Concerto 2? What was Arakawa's theme? What was Ito's theme when she won Worlds? What was Hughes' theme when she won in SLC?

Not every skate has to be a story.

And on that note, not every thread has to be another anti-Sotnikova tirade.

True, Mao doesn't seem to have a story to tell when skating to Piano Concerto 2. Nor does her program make you wonder what the theme is. If this question about the theme arises at all about Adelina's program, it's because her program seems so disjointed and incoherent. So it's a valid response, even if a rhetorical question.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Just so I understand, people complain that Julia's programs are overscored because of the story behind the music and yet Adelina is overscored because of the lack of a story behind the music... As others have pointed out not all music has to tell a story, it just has to showcase the skater.

I also would like to offer the following consolation to many members of this forum. Life will go on and so will figure skating even if you don't agree with the outcome of the recent Olympics. I can remember being overjoyed when Oksana beat Nancy and then feeling devastated when Tara beat Michelle (no offence to Tara who did great as a commentator) and disappointed again when Sarah beat Michelle. I was excited when Yuna beat Mao 4 years ago. I'm sure that in future Olympic games the question of who is better, the artist verses the athlete, will continue to play out. Some years the artist will win gold and some years the athlete will, most years the home country's athletes will be scored higher than they otherwise would (ex Sarah Hughes in SLC, Elizabeth Manley in Calgary, Rochette in Vancouver). Its the home field advantage, you have fans behind you and their excitement will always make programs seem better to the judges. This happens and will continue to happen and four years from now there will be new controversies but that is what keeps figure skating popular.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
donezo said:
I enjoyed the first five seconds. Then we devolve into waving to the audience during the spiral. It truly is a baffling program.

What? Sorry, just saw that beautiful extention during her spiral. (And beautiful feet. There was a lot about feet these days)

sk8in

Match Penalty
Music has a mood and a rhythm. It is the skaters job to sync their elements with both. Whether you want to call it a "story" a "theme" or a "feeling" doesn't matter. What skaters don't do is just line up next to each other and do triples until one drops.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
I dont even remember her performance, let alone a gold medal winning performance?
what.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'll remember Sotnikova's LP not for a portrayal of any theme, but rather strong jumps, good spins, and an exuberance and energy that she hadn't shown before which was pretty astonishing to see given how she was essentially an underdog with her past inconsistencies.

I will not remember it for being emotionally moving, original, or ground-breaking. But I don't think that made it necessarily unworthy of a medal.. I just thought Kostner was more worthy.

And even though it wasn't as beautiful as say Arakawa's in 2006 or Kim's in 2010, it was certainly more technically ambitious jumps-wise (and spins-wise too, IMO).

With what Sotnikova had to work with, she essentially did the best job she could, and that shouldn't be held against her. Again, it's the judges that are to blame for this result, not her for trying her best and doing so.

poleptina

Rinkside
Rondo is a really beautiful piece of music, but that tortured techno-pop version of it was really awful. I don't think Adelina had any particular theme in mind to go with it.

jehan215

On the Ice
Yeah I have to agree that although Sotnikova's LP was technically more challenging, it wasn't too impressive in terms of program component. Choreography was a bit choppy and junior-ish for my liking and I don't think her young age is a factor because there have been many other skaters of her age with more maturity (e.g. Mao, Yuna, Kostner). Unless what she's going for is power and energy - not sure if that suits her music though :confused:

I just personally find it surprising that Sotnikova and Yulia could reach PCS scores as high as Mao, Yuna or Kostner - they spend so much time and effort since their junior years trying to build it up to the current levels, while Sotnikova just suddenly became the better skater overnight, as Scott Hamilton says. As much as I love figure skating and its beauty in bringing in emotions and artistry, the ambiguity and subjectiveness of PCS scores are not really helping.

Everettguy

Rinkside
I feel badly for adelina with how much people are criticizing her. She did her job and was marked. I feel like this for all winners that aren't the popular choice. I hope she or any medalist that gets bashed don't read these boards..:laugh:

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I feel badly for adelina with how much people are criticizing her. She did her job and was marked. I feel like this for all winners that aren't the popular choice. I hope she or any medalist that gets bashed don't read these boards..:laugh:

this is how i feel. if anything, this whole scandal has made me like her more because i kind of feel for her.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I feel badly for adelina with how much people are criticizing her. She did her job and was marked. I feel like this for all winners that aren't the popular choice.

I suspect she's one of the popular choices among Russian fans. If she reads any online comments, let's hope they're mostly from Russian sources.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Rondo is a really beautiful piece of music, but that tortured techno-pop version of it was really awful. I don't think Adelina had any particular theme in mind to go with it.

Yes, I think the reason I didn't dislike the music more because it was miles better than her music for the LP last year, which I think is the worst piece I have ever heard for a competitive program.

hurrah

Medalist
This:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/jaag...+Figure+Skating/QeY0rsSvLeM/Adelina+Sotnikova

was Adelina's original costume. The gloves indicate that it is supposed to be a ball gown. Since the music is titled Rondo Capriccioso, I would imagine that originally, the concept was to have Adelina portray a capricious young woman in the full bloom of her beauty at a ball---i.e., a debutante.

I don't know why they then decided to have her wear dark colors and chains. Made no sense.

peg

Medalist
With what Sotnikova had to work with, she essentially did the best job she could, and that shouldn't be held against her. Again, it's the judges that are to blame for this result, not her for trying her best and doing so.
This, I agree with. While I thought Yuna was head and shoulders above Adelina one every one of the components, the fact that she was gifted marks in a major way is not her doing. My beef is with the judging.